Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

Rob Instigator 05.16.2013 02:13 PM

meth is white people's crack

I have actually seen the media describe it so.

dale_gribble 05.16.2013 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator

watched this last night with my wife. I enjoyed it. It was silly but quite biting and funny. I am a huge Galifianakis fan. he likes to make people I hate uncomfortable I give it a 7/10.

just watched this today and i agree with your rating.

EVOLghost 05.16.2013 10:46 PM

I've seen it around a lot and just remembered to actually watch it. Really enjoyed it. I felt just as crazy as she did while watching this....but that ending....fuck man.

demonrail666 05.17.2013 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
In that context, I see what ya mean, and in this analogy I'd say with obvious parallels that Taxi Driver was his Pulp Fiction, Goodfellas was Scorcese's Kill Bill and Gangs of New York was Inglorious Bastards, and Shutter Island/The Departed was Django..

God help us when Tarantino decides to make his Kundun

Rob Instigator 05.17.2013 02:47 PM

No one has seen Star Trek the annoyance of khan yet?

evollove 05.18.2013 08:20 AM

RAMPART

Woody Harrelson plays a bad LAPD cop.

At first, it's like, "Who needs this? Haven't we seen cops go bad in movies before?"

But this one kicks the shit out of the others. Visually innovative, emotionally stirring, morally complex. The acting from everyone is stunning.

This was made by a guy named Oren Moverman, who also made The Messenger (another brilliant Harrelson performance). He's a geeeeneeeooos.

This movie was made for suchfreinds.

demonrail666 05.18.2013 10:39 AM

I really liked Rampart, too. I expected it to be a kind of LA Bad Lieutenant but it ended up being its own thing. And totally agree about Woody Harrelson.

Just rewatched

No Country For Old Men

Great film. I know the hype was all about Javier Bardem but Tommy Lee Jones is the stand out for me. He's really come into his own these past few years.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 05.19.2013 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evollove
RAMPART

Woody Harrelson plays a bad LAPD cop.

At first, it's like, "Who needs this? Haven't we seen cops go bad in movies before?"

But this one kicks the shit out of the others. Visually innovative, emotionally stirring, morally complex. The acting from everyone is stunning.

This was made by a guy named Oren Moverman, who also made The Messenger (another brilliant Harrelson performance). He's a geeeeneeeooos.

This movie was made for suchfreinds.

Fucking shit. I was literally thinking as I was scrolling down and reading your synopsis, "Woody Harrelson, crooked LAPD, kicks the shit out of others, visually innovative and morally complex." This shit is made for me! And then I saw you already said that ;)

sonic sphere 05.20.2013 02:00 PM

demonrail666 05.20.2013 06:43 PM

Once Upon a Time in the West

Rob Instigator 05.23.2013 10:33 AM

Watched this again last night on the HBO.
I think I am the only person who laugehd all the way through it and the first Hangover. I think they are HILARIOUS. I am a huge galifianakis fan, and I love how the movie uses the same skeleton to cerate a whole new adventure.

This is not high art, it is a comedy for adults. I don;t understand the hate for it. When the dentist finds out he fucked a ladyboy...that shit had me rolling on the floor!

I am looking forward to part 3. I like R-rated comedies. the 80's had tons.
I give it a 7/10.

demonrail666 05.23.2013 11:17 AM

I've only seen the first one and was almost surprised by how much I hated it. I've got a bit of a soft spot for stuff like Porky's and American Pie and Road Trip and The Hangover felt like a string of sketches that could've just as easily been in those. Maybe it's the fact they're not high school kids but adults who seem never to have left high school, that really grated on me.

Rob Instigator 05.23.2013 11:22 AM

I just like R-rated jokes. I hate seeing PG-13 comedies that try to both seem "shocking" as well as safe for the kids.

Keeping It Simple 05.23.2013 11:49 AM

Black Hawk Down.

Dr Chocolate 05.23.2013 11:56 AM

picked up GRUMPY OLD MEN & GRUMPIER OLD MEN on blu ray
nothing like old movies with no special effects (well, not really)
must be the 101st time i've seen these movies again

dale_gribble 05.23.2013 02:46 PM

_slavo_ 05.24.2013 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator

Watched this again last night on the HBO.
I think I am the only person who laugehd all the way through it and the first Hangover. I think they are HILARIOUS. I am a huge galifianakis fan, and I love how the movie uses the same skeleton to cerate a whole new adventure.

This is not high art, it is a comedy for adults. I don;t understand the hate for it. When the dentist finds out he fucked a ladyboy...that shit had me rolling on the floor!

I am looking forward to part 3. I like R-rated comedies. the 80's had tons.
I give it a 7/10.

Rob, I feel ya. I liked the first one as well a lot. Not so much the second one though.

tw2113 05.24.2013 02:27 AM

First two The Naked Gun movies. Third one tomorrow or this weekend likely.

SonikJesus 05.24.2013 02:32 AM

this shit actually made me feel heavy emotions and shit. Not many films do that to me. I think only Lion Kings done it.

Rob Instigator 05.24.2013 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _slavo_
Rob, I feel ya. I liked the first one as well a lot. Not so much the second one though.

I dug the second one more on the 2nd viewing, with my vaporizer going at full blast

demonrail666 05.25.2013 05:25 AM

McCabe and Mrs Miller

!@#$%! 05.25.2013 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666

McCabe and Mrs Miller

where the hell did you get that? it's been sort of out of print since forever. i've looked for it in a million ways and never with any luck. did someone re-release?

keep poppin pimples 05.25.2013 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
where the hell did you get that? it's been sort of out of print since forever. i've looked for it in a million ways and never with any luck. did someone re-release?

pretty sure i've seen a million versions of this, at the very least turner classic movies has it as part of this pack

http://www.amazon.ca/TCM-Greatest-Cl.../dp/B001PO55AA

but there's def. a standalone dvd. i've seen it in cheapo bins in best buy and maybe even walmart

evollove 05.25.2013 09:33 AM

Watched LAST STAND, Ahhnold's triumphant return to cinema.

I know, you didn't want to see it because it looked too stupid.

But you're wrong. It was even stupider.

By the way, people who have shot guns: isn't it difficult to hit someone in the head shooting a pistol at a distance of fifty yards or so? Like, wouldn't you have to be Olympic good, and even then it's a long shot?

demonrail666 05.25.2013 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!

It's just a standard DVD release. Maybe there's some weird licensing problem with it in the US. I can't think of any other reason why it wouldn't be available there. If you have a multi-region player I'd have no problem getting you a copy and sending it over. It's a brilliant film.

!@#$%! 05.25.2013 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
It's just a standard DVD release. Maybe there's some weird licensing problem with it in the US. I can't think of any other reason why it wouldn't be available there. If you have a multi-region player I'd have no problem getting you a copy and sending it over. It's a brilliant film.

it's a long story but there is a dvd transfer now, though apparently it's crap. it's on netflix though, but thanks for the offer! much appreciated.

dale_gribble 05.26.2013 07:15 PM

i was surprised at how sad this movie is.

sonic sphere 05.31.2013 09:36 AM

demonrail666 05.31.2013 11:38 AM

The Fog of War

Excellent 'talking head' style documentary about Robert McNamara, one of those 'controversial' political types who ends up being utterly likeable and sympathetic when they're allowed to present their side of the story (probably because he's obviously massively bright and the doc offers no counter-version of events).

Grey Gardens

Sort of Sunset Boulevard meets Andy Warhol. The kind of film that makes me immediately want to rethink my top ten. Flat-out brilliant.

sonic sphere 06.01.2013 11:25 AM

sonic sphere 06.02.2013 07:49 AM

Rob Instigator 06.04.2013 10:52 AM

Watched Hangover 3 at a midnight movie on Sat. Went real baked.
I laughed a lot but the movie is not paced as quickly as the first 2, which drags it a bit. I still had a good time though. I give it a 6/10.

Bytor Peltor 06.04.2013 11:17 AM

Odd at times with instrumentals that verge on noise.

sonic sphere 06.09.2013 01:08 PM

Rob Instigator 06.10.2013 08:14 AM

lazy sunday afternoon. watched this on the HBO

Innocuous little film. I give it a 6/10 for some funny character studies of obsessed birders.

!@#$%! 06.10.2013 08:31 AM

i've watched a couple of GREAT things lately.

the foremost is almodovar's "the skin i live in". gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous film--- i mean this guy has such a visual sense-- incomparable really. the story starts craaaaaaaazy strange then settles into more common almodovar fare. i think he gets better with age. a lot of poeple don't. this movie is brilliant. he based it on a book i now have to read.

huge poster follows:

watch it, harlots. watch it from a blu ray in a good tv with calibrated colors if you can.

ALSO

*finally* watched "waiting for sugar man". it didn't surprise me because everything had been spelled out already by trailers and reviews and commentary, but lovely story and lovely people and one has to wipe off the tears rather frequently.

for this i post a little picture because a lot of it is made with home video footage and you can watch if from a straight dvd with no great loss of experience. although the dp does a great beautiful job with the present-day footage, she pans the camera slow, slow, slow... anyway, good stuff.

sonic sphere 06.11.2013 02:10 PM

demonrail666 06.11.2013 02:42 PM

The Victim

Not great by any means but far better than I expected.

dale_gribble 06.11.2013 04:09 PM

LifeDistortion 06.12.2013 09:49 AM

The Skin I Live In is such a strange movie, you can't really discuss the film with anyone who hasn't seen it without potentially spoiling stuff. The last movie I watched was "VHS". This movie was alright, as usual whenever I hear about the horror film that supposedly is re-inventing the genre, its pretty much never as satisfying as these hyperboles from horror sites would have you believe. They're saying the same about V/H/S 2 as well. If you dig horror its certainly worth watching, just don't go in with over-blown expectations.