Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 10.30.2013 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i can't see the image again, so i don't know what your mental laziness is attempting to signify, but you're wrong regardless.

demonrail666 10.31.2013 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Dude you must be choking on nostalgia, have you re-watched an actual Bronson movie since like 25 years ago, because you may unfortunately discover that they suck.

Well I watched him a few weeks ago in Once Upon a Time in the West and thought he was great.

Quote:

If anything, the ending was the only redeeming part, as with most John Carpenter movies, the ending is really the only point. And as with Big Trouble in Little China, The Fog was really pointless up until that point, but unlike as with Big Trouble, the Fog was no where near as entertaining or go for broke campy (e.g. in the Evil Dead/Army of Darkness form).

Something I actually like about The Fog (and Carpenter generally) is that it serves it to you straight, with little regard for the kind of campiness that's done so much to ruin the genre in recent years (IMO).

Quote:

Carpenter makes The Fog into a morality play on hypocrisy within Christianity, particularly the Catholic Church, as he has in several of his movies, but in this instance, it seems like NONE of the plot developed or enhanced or even built up to this. It was like some kind of "surprise" ending, but the movie itself was not credible enough to sustain it. If you just saw the final 30 minutes, it'd be a better movie in my opinion.

Halloween, The Thing, Escape From New York, Prince of Darkness, In the Mouth of Madness, these are great fucking movies, but The Fog I think is a miss. Just meandered too much..

I've never read that much into Carpenter's plots. I always took the Fog as using the kind of 'town with a secret' idea that gets used in plenty of horror films. He's a stylist first and foremost and while I agree the film does meander a bit it still has some of my very favourite Carpenter scenes in it, as well as one of his best soundtracks.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 10.31.2013 08:42 PM

I may have been too harsh on The Fog because its low points don't compare with the usual John Carpenter standards. However, its few highs aren't too bad, so I'd say about 40% of the movie is good spliced in between 60% of otherwise unwatchable movie. Those 40% are indeed solid Carpenter.

sonic sphere 11.01.2013 03:07 PM

demonrail666 11.01.2013 03:41 PM

Quote:

I may have been too harsh on The Fog

To be fair you're not on your own. I know a few big Carpenter fans who aren't that into it. I remember reading that Carpenter himself didn't like the way it turned out, so you're in decent company.

Rob Instigator 11.01.2013 04:58 PM

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/hairba...hmore.php#more Doug's Barbershop in the Heights area of Houston TX, featured in Rushmore, to close soon.

Torn Curtain 11.01.2013 06:07 PM

8/10

Dr Chocolate 11.02.2013 01:58 AM

sometimes you just gotta watch something a bit harder then normal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkopahcU3sQ

so, not safe for work
but it's kinda funny to just listen to when not watching the video
especially when you've seen it somewhere around 100 times or more?

Torn Curtain 11.03.2013 08:54 AM

4.5/10

The plot is terribly soppy.

sonic sphere 11.04.2013 07:11 AM

!@#$%! 11.04.2013 12:00 PM

i finally watched glengarry glenross. after having seen that speech on youtube a lot lately.

i didn't know it was originally a david mamet play-- but that shows through in the rest of the movie. of course! good shit. pretty great script actually, and good acting. the production itself looks a bit claustrophobic, but hey, it's a filmed play. excellent performances by all!

to judge it just by the alec baldwin speech is a huge misunderstanding. check out the whole of it.

Genteel Death 11.04.2013 06:33 PM

Kathy Acker and Alan Sondheim’s Blue Tape (1974)

Rob Instigator 11.05.2013 08:46 AM

GlennGary Glenn Ross is a great piece of male despair.

My wife hated it because it hurts her to see old men broken down.

!@#$%! 11.06.2013 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
GlennGary Glenn Ross is a great piece of male despair.

yes. great way to put it.

Quote:

My wife hated it because it hurts her to see old men broken down.

damn. she is nice.

sonic sphere 11.11.2013 08:59 AM

EVOLghost 11.11.2013 09:10 AM

finally watching these.....pretty much thte same as the manga(and '97? anime)But the 3rd movie goes beyond the anime and they've done a pretty awesome job sticking to the manga. ANYWAYS...I HOPE THEY AT LEAST FINISH THE FUCKING MANGA SOMETIME SOON OR ELSE IT'LL TAKE 15 YEARS TO MAKE ALL OF IT INTO FUCKING MOVIES.

also....3D and 2D animation mixed is shit.

EVOLghost 11.11.2013 12:06 PM

pt3

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 11.11.2013 02:54 PM

Was actually pretty good, surprisingly. Could have been
better, but of all Sam Jackson's bad-to-sort-of-ok movies
this was definitely the better. I'm starting to realize that
Sam Jackson is like Chris Walken, he makes all is movies better,
even those that aren't particularly good.

What is wild about this movie, is Bruce Willis has played
"softer" roles and yet, in this one, they didn't tone
down the "action" Bruce Willis one bit, instead, they
emphasized it. So we have this juxtaposition between
the somber, quiet life of an autistic boy and the literally
exploding in peoples' faces intensity that is Bruce Willis.
Another surprisingly good bad movie.

evollove 11.11.2013 03:40 PM

Had to take a look at Sam Jackson's IMDB:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000168/

153 total acting credits?
Filming FOUR movies currently?

Even if IMDB is way off, Sam's still the hardest working man in Hollywood.

Rob Instigator 11.11.2013 03:51 PM

Sam Jack likes money, and he is old enough to know you work while you can, until no one wants you any more.

Danny Trejo has 260 acting credits in IMDB. He says if you got $25,000 a day to pay him, he will be in your movie.

Sounds like a smart smart man.

tesla69 11.11.2013 04:13 PM

Quote:

Danny Trejo has 260 acting credits in IMDB. He says if you got $25,000 a day to pay him, he will be in your movie.
Sounds like a smart smart man.

He comes cheap. Bruce Willis gets one million. the last few parts I've seen him do, he give new meaning to the expression "phoning in his parts".

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 11.11.2013 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tesla69
He comes cheap. Bruce Willis gets one million. the last few parts I've seen him do, he give new meaning to the expression "phoning in his parts".

Bruce only gets one million, is that per line or gun shot?

Rob Instigator 11.11.2013 04:50 PM

Cod Sperm

evollove 11.26.2013 02:33 PM

Has anyone seen BLUE JASMINE yet?

evollove 11.30.2013 10:36 AM

ALAN PARTRIDGE- ALPHA PAPA

9.23/10

Man, I laughed a lot. Lots of great one-liners and at least one physical comedy gag that deserves a few awards.

Never "best" or whatever, this was simply my favorite flick of 2013.

!@#$%! 11.30.2013 11:31 AM

i've watched a lot of great stuff lately.

MOTHER - this is korean. pretty great. about a dumdum's mum who does what she can for her offspring. beautifully shot and acted. great script and editing. will fuck with your head. check it out!

THE BIG HEAT - this was pretty great and i didn't know it was directed by fritz lang. some very fritz-langy shots but actually great performances by the cast including a donkey-looking young lee marvin and a fantastic gloria grahame-- not a great beauty but she delivers awesome line after awesome line. was this the last "official" film noir? it's from 1953, pretty late for this type of movie, which confused me at first (though some characters make a point of highlighting that-- "this country is changing"). loved the fred flinstone steak.

SCANNERS - not the first time i've watched it but i'm doing a little cronenberg retrospective and it looks better on rewatch. this was the second movie i watched in this series, a bit out of chronological order but eh. what a great fucking story. yeah, cheaply shot, okay, but it preludes stuff like videodrome, for example. i'd say cronenberg was cyberpunk before the cyberpunks.

RABID - i couldn't get a hold of SHIVERS so i got this as a starter for the cronenberg binge. i've seen it before but it was fucking great again, and so was marylin chambers. a pity that she never made more mainstream movies, had troubles, and died early

THE WHITE RIBBON - michael hanneke's original script and it's excellent. in gorgeous black and white. i love it how he always presents you seemingly normal people and then he shows you their vile and nasty side. at this he never fails. this time he takes on an early 20th century northern german village-- peasants, burgers and nobility included. wonderfully done. has some horrid images and situations but they are worth the pain.

SHADOWS AND FOG - woody allen's homage to early film noir (speaking of fritz lang). it does feel like a filmed play (it's the dialogue that does it) but it was great anyway, i loved it, all except for mia farrow-- i don't know what he saw in her, but whatever, the movie still works and it's great.

JACK SMITH AND THE DESTRUCTION OF ATLANTIS
since it's hard to get a hold of jack smiths' movies i watched this-- and now i know why it's so hard-- most of them don't exist as "movies" proper. great fucking little documentary. now i understand john waters much better-- and i think i know where the raping monster lobstora came from. great stuff. all a bit tragic in the end. but great film & material & starter point for looking at more of his stuff.

DIABOLIQUE - the original one! of course. curious how the character of the benevolent cop is such a trope in french film. is that because they trust their government more? (e.g. compare vs. the big heat). anyway, great fucking movie, worthy of hitchcock and then some, and only later i realized henri-georges clouzot also directed THE WAGES OF FEAR, which is fucking amazing, but a totally different kind of movie.

Quote:

Originally Posted by evollove
Has anyone seen BLUE JASMINE yet?

not yet, no. comes out on disc in january. i've seen the trailer though and i'm really looking forward to it.

evollove 11.30.2013 11:41 AM

Quote:

SHADOWS AND FOG - woody allen's homage to early film noir (speaking of fritz lang). it does feel like a filmed play (it's the dialogue that does it) but it was great anyway, i loved it, all except for mia farrow-- i don't know what he saw in her, but whatever, the movie still works and it's great.

Oh neat. I get to be a know-it-all.

It DID start as a play, either called "Death" or "God." I forget, though I'd bet on "Death." He wrote both in the mid-70s, I think. I haven't read it in a long time, but I seem to recall the play is basically the first scene of the movie, where a vigilante tries to enlist the Allen character.

Good eye. We both win a prize. Of nothing.

!@#$%! 11.30.2013 12:03 PM

Quote:

Oh neat. I get to be a know-it-all.

It DID start as a play, either called "Death" or "God." I forget, though I'd bet on "Death." He wrote both in the mid-70s, I think. I haven't read it in a long time, but I seem to recall the play is basically the first scene of the movie, where a vigilante tries to enlist the Allen character.

Good eye. We both win a prize. Of nothing.

yeah it was "death", it's listed in the credits, but you get that sense from the dialogue from the opening scene. awesome little movie, and an excellent cast even for tiny roles. i watched it twice on the same day. btw, the guy who dubbed woody allen in french was excellent, ha ha.

our victory is for the glory alone!

Cunt 12.02.2013 08:19 AM

Rob Instigator 12.02.2013 09:22 AM

My wife finally got em to watch Leaving Las Vegas

The guy did not drink enough methinks.

demonrail666 12.02.2013 10:01 AM

Quote:

THE BIG HEAT - this was pretty great and i didn't know it was directed by fritz lang. some very fritz-langy shots but actually great performances by the cast including a donkey-looking young lee marvin and a fantastic gloria grahame-- not a great beauty but she delivers awesome line after awesome line. was this the last "official" film noir? it's from 1953, pretty late for this type of movie, which confused me at first (though some characters make a point of highlighting that-- "this country is changing").

Spot on. One of my all-time faves. Fritz Lang at his most pissed off. Gloria Grahame steals it for me. "Neat. Early nothing." The scenes with her after she's been disfigured are about as noir as noir gets. Although Kiss Me Deadly was 1955 so it isn't the last - although personally I think it's the best.

Quote:

loved the fred flinstone steak.

I always laugh at that bit. Did you know the actress playing the wife was Marlon Brando's sister?

Another bit of trivia, the scene at the end of Mean Streets when Harvey Keitel gets killed, the guy in his apartment is watching the wife's death scene in The Big Heat.

evollove 12.02.2013 10:50 AM

I just noticed THE BIG HEAT is on TCM tomorrow, along with a ton of other noirs. Bullets Or Ballots (1936), Little Caesar (1930), White Heat (1949), etc. A smorgasbord of shadows, venician blinds, guns, and femme fatales.

!@#$%! 12.02.2013 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
Spot on. One of my all-time faves. Fritz Lang at his most pissed off. Gloria Grahame steals it for me. "Neat. Early nothing." The scenes with her after she's been disfigured are about as noir as noir gets. Although Kiss Me Deadly was 1955 so it isn't the last - although personally I think it's the best.

I always laugh at that bit. Did you know the actress playing the wife was Marlon Brando's sister?

Another bit of trivia, the scene at the end of Mean Streets when Harvey Keitel gets killed, the guy in his apartment is watching the wife's death scene in The Big Heat.

yeah i knew who jocelyn brando was but the weird thing is that i had learned it only a few days before while looking up info on jack smith (they were born in the same month, many years apart).

it was telling, i mean, i got it was from the 50s when bannion gets home and his wife is everything a 50s housewife should be-- she stretches the budget to afford steak, cooks it great, takes care of her kid, but can have fun too (drinks his beer and smokes his cigarette and i forget when there's some coded talk about fucking). superwoman! had to be the 50s, though the movie looked 40s.

gloria grahame steals the show of course but i didn't know until i read it later that in real life she was a bit of a pervo who fucked her stepson when he was 13-- and years later married him! ha ha ha. of course we don't look at predatory women the same way as we do men, i mean, i wanted nothing more at 13 than to bang some experienced lady, but still, so fucking wrong. eh, artists!

my wife sez she also played a morally dubious character in oklahoma, but i don't think i'll be watching that any time soon as musicals do to my nerves the same thing as the sound of forks scratching plates. but i expect to find her again as i'm lining up a little nicholas ray mini-festival (it was the son of nicholas ray she fucked and married, ha ha ha. owwwww!)

mean streets: i'll have to see it again at some point. i haven't in a long time because when i first saw it i thought it a bit overrated-- but i'd like to revisit it at some point

Quote:

I just noticed THE BIG HEAT is on TCM tomorrow, along with a ton of other noirs. Bullets Or Ballots (1936), Little Caesar (1930), White Heat (1949), etc. A smorgasbord of shadows, venician blinds, guns, and femme fatales.

sweet!

EDIT --> here another weird concidence in my life right now: i was re-watching small time crooks yesterday and somewhere in the middle of it the woody allen character and his wife's cousin may are hanging out and watching a crime movie (just like demonyo said the character in mean streets, ha ha) . i just now realized (from wikipedia) it's fucking WHITE HEAT. which i should add to my list, even if it's not "a sign." but maybe it is, ha ha ha.

demonrail666 12.02.2013 12:41 PM

Quote:

gloria grahame steals the show of course but i didn't know until i read it later that in real life she was a bit of a pervo who fucked her stepson when he was 13-- and years later married him! ha ha ha.

Wow. I never knew that.

Quote:

i expect to find her again as i'm lining up a little nicholas ray mini-festival

She's amazing in In a Lonely Place. It's a shame she never got the same iconic status as some other actresses in her day. She never had the classic Hollywood glamour queen look but could certainly out act most of the ones that did. I'm sure I read somewhere that her reputation was only really established later on when the nouvelle vague started namechecking her. Although she did win an oscar earlier in her career.

EDIT: Just found this quote from Truffaut: "It seems that of all the American stars Gloria Grahame is the only one who is also a person."

stu666 12.09.2013 03:45 PM

!@#$%! 12.09.2013 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stu666

i wanted to kill that fucking kid.

a pity that james gandolfini died instead

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 12.13.2013 01:12 PM

Quote:

My wife finally got em to watch Leaving Las Vegas

The guy did not drink enough methinks.

I remember thinking how perfectly the cinematography in that flick captured the essence of being shit drunk, God, I can only imagine people trying to watch it in the theater..

!@#$%! 12.13.2013 01:30 PM

Quote:

I remember thinking how perfectly the cinematography in that flick captured the essence of being shit drunk, God, I can only imagine people trying to watch it in the theater..

i remember elisabeth shue was super hot but otherwise i thought that movie was shit. i didn't see it at the movies though, but still. shitty third-rate male fantasies.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 12.13.2013 01:35 PM

Quote:

i remember elisabeth shue was super hot but otherwise i thought that movie was shit..

I think we agree unless you think being fall-down drunk or watching a lot of spinning camera-work on a huge screen is some how a good experience ;)

Toilet & Bowels 12.13.2013 02:05 PM

I just saw The Hobbit part 2, it's good, maybe the best of the Jackson/Tolkien films so far. Still too long though, the last third is kind of a bit boring, it's basically a pretty average chase sequence after one of the best chase sequences I've seen outside of a martial arts movie (the one with the barrells).