Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   The Mighty Football Thread (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=15453)

demonrail666 10.13.2017 08:10 AM

a good article asking 'what now?'

https://www.theguardian.com/football...ld-cup-effects

The Soup Nazi 10.13.2017 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i dont think agent orange cares for “foreign” sports, like many of his generation, so fortunately he’s out of the picture here

For the absolute non plus ultra of fascist "American" oligophrenia against fútbol, turn to Ann Coulter's vomit during Brazil 2014:

http://www.anncoulter.com/columns/2014-06-25.html

!@#$%! 10.13.2017 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666

nice writeup! thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
For the absolute non plus ultra of fascist "American" oligophrenia against fútbol, turn to Ann Coulter's vomit during Brazil 2014:

http://www.anncoulter.com/columns/2014-06-25.html

oh no... no thanks! i’m familiar enough...

why suffer? :D

h8kurdt 10.14.2017 01:03 PM

Kin hell. Forgot that the Dortmund/Leipzig was on today and pretty much missed it all. It;s at 70 minutes now and 2-3 to Leipzig.

demonrail666 10.14.2017 01:21 PM

I made the mistake of watching Man U v Liverpool. Boring as fuck.

h8kurdt 10.14.2017 02:48 PM

Yeah, so did I. The crazy thing was people ACTUALLY expected it to be anything more than a dull game. My friend had just broken up with his Mrs so wanted to watch it with company. Things you do for friendship!

Oddly, coral had odds of 10/1 for a 0-0 game

demonrail666 10.14.2017 03:10 PM

I knew it wouldn't be high scoring but I'd kind of fooled myself into thinking it'd be interesting, tactically. It wasn't. Mourinho reverted to type. Had Liverpool scored early, when they had that chance, it would've at least forced MU to react ... but no.

But the big story has to be Palace beating Chelsea. No one could've seen that coming. It made MC's 7-2 look predictable. Which it sort of was ... apart from Stoke's 2, maybe. Oh yeah, and Arsenal losing to Watford. Although does that really qualify as an upset these days?

demonrail666 10.20.2017 04:15 PM

Reckon that's the end now for Bilic.

h8kurdt 10.21.2017 02:38 AM

Ah man, I didn't get to watch it but the read up of it sounds pretty scathing. Thing is as decent of a guy Bilic seems to be I don't think he's got the nous. That being said it doesn't help having one too many players content to just shuffle about for silly money.

Worst of all me that say what you like about Kenwright at least he's not a group of tory cunts decimating any identity the West Ham and their fans had about them.

Where do you see the team in a years time? Reckon they'll avoid the drop?

h8kurdt 10.21.2017 02:41 AM

And I guarantee Southgate will still put Hart at No. 1 in the England squad.

demonrail666 10.21.2017 05:35 AM

Right now it feels pretty hopeless. Replacing Bilic might solve this particular crisis but Sullivan, Brady, et al, are the real problem, with their behind the scenes tinkering and inability to shut their mouths in public. What manager worth his salt will be willing to come in and work with their bullshit? Until they go we're fucked.

Southgate is an under-21s coach, tops. He probably has some ok ideas but he's ultimately an FA blazer, a yes man, who lacks the personality to motivate anyone. I've no idea who we should take instead, though. No one English, anyway. I mean who is there?

h8kurdt 10.21.2017 06:18 AM

It's always been the same with the FA. A load of bully boys who don't want anyone who will ruffle some feathers. It's something that's been like that since Clough. And it won't change.

For me that's one of my biggest what-ifs. What if Clough had gotten the England job. The situation with the England squad would be VERY different to what it is now.

As for who would join West Ham, the fact that Benitez went to Newcastle, of all places, should give a glimmer of hope.

demonrail666 10.21.2017 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h8kurdt
It's always been the same with the FA. A load of bully boys who don't want anyone who will ruffle some feathers. It's something that's been like that since Clough. And it won't change.

For me that's one of my biggest what-ifs. What if Clough had gotten the England job. The situation with the England squad would be VERY different to what it is now.

In fairness, from Clough's (non-)era to now we've tried just about everything: big respected names like Capello; more traditional up n at em types like Keegan, and pretty much everything in between. None of them worked out. Southgate definitely represents the worst side of the FA but it's not like they haven't been bitten before, trying more interesting and ambitious alternatives. Whoever can stop us choking in big games will be a national hero, for sure, but god knows who that person is, or where we'll find him.

!@#$%! 10.21.2017 09:34 PM

http://www.espnfc.com/bayern-munich/...joining-bayern

h8kurdt 10.23.2017 03:27 AM

NEWS

Everton and West Ham are still shit

demonrail666 10.23.2017 08:55 AM

Haha. We should have a little mini league for who's shittest.

At least you've sacked Koeman so there's some glimmer of hope there. We're sticking with Bilic so the agony just carries on.

h8kurdt 10.23.2017 11:19 AM

Quote:

Haha. We should have a little mini league for who's shittest.

At least you've sacked Koeman so there's some glimmer of hope there. We're sticking with Bilic so the agony just carries on.

Aye, but the big question is who do they replace him with. If Moshiri is that serious about the ambition etc then he'll throw all his money into a marquee signing.

Wish list

Simeone
Napoli's Sarri

Everyone else.

And I won't be happy unless it's one of them two :D

demonrail666 10.23.2017 02:27 PM

To be honest, if Bilic goes, I'd take Koeman as his replacement. Everton were right to sack him, things went irepperably wrong for him there, but that could be for any number of reasons. I still think he's a decent manager.

As for who should replace him at Everton, deep breaths, cos you know it'll be David Unsworth.:D

demonrail666 10.25.2017 03:55 PM

Fucking hell

Spurs 2 - 3 West Ham

Whatever eventually happens to Bilic that was an absolutely epic performance. Beautiful.

TheMadcapLaughs 10.25.2017 03:56 PM

Quote:

To be honest, if Bilic goes, I'd take Koeman as his replacement. Everton were right to sack him, things went irepperably wrong for him there, but that could be for any number of reasons. I still think he's a decent manager.

As for who should replace him at Everton, deep breaths, cos you know it'll be David Unsworth.:D

The big manager out there right now is Carlo Ancelotti, I'm wondering where he goes. I bet he would love to stick to Chelsea with another team...