Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Effects (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=8597)

king_buzzo 08.22.2007 04:20 PM

i'm gonna get 1-2 behringer delays for circuit bending.

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 08.22.2007 10:52 PM

Here is a demo of the Polyphase I made for some people at Haunting Mids

The hiss is from my recording set up, not from my amp or my polyphase FYI

http://download.yousendit.com/B8AE81D81B106B03

CHOUT 08.23.2007 01:17 AM

I'm getting a deluxe memory man from a hcfxer!

CHOUT 08.23.2007 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpectralJulianIsNotDead
Here is a demo of the Polyphase I made for some people at Haunting Mids

The hiss is from my recording set up, not from my amp or my polyphase FYI

http://download.yousendit.com/B8AE81D81B106B03

Ever tried soundclick? It's pretty damn good for hosting songs and shit w/o having to yousendit.

king_buzzo 08.23.2007 03:48 AM

Quote:

If you are going to buy a wah, don't buy a GCB95. They suck tone from your signal really bad. Your clean guitar sound will suffer. Unless you are good with electronics and plan to true-bypass it. Otherwise stay away. You want a true-bypass wah. Trust me. I had a GCB-95.

agreed mine sucks and sounds like ass.

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 08.23.2007 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHOUT
Ever tried soundclick? It's pretty damn good for hosting songs and shit w/o having to yousendit.

Yeah, I'm just lazy. I actually have a soundclick.

CHOUT 08.24.2007 01:31 PM

I just paid for a Deluxe Memory Man! I had one for 2 days a while ago, but I'm ready again.

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 08.24.2007 01:59 PM

Cool man. I just got a Bad Monkey in the mail for winning 2nd place in Beavis's contest. It actually sounds pretty good.

CHOUT 08.24.2007 02:48 PM

Quote:

Cool man. I just got a Bad Monkey in the mail for winning 2nd place in Beavis's contest. It actually sounds pretty good.

Ahh, I was curious what you were getting. Coo.

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 08.24.2007 02:58 PM

Oh, and he gave me a few bags full of potentiometers, capacitors, switches, ICs, etc.

king_buzzo 08.24.2007 03:15 PM

Quote:

contest? something on HC?

nicfit 08.24.2007 03:18 PM

No matter which kind of "playing style" one could be after, you effects conosseurs which effects would suggest for a bass player? Whitout adventuring into reeeeally strange things (imagine a guitar+bass+drums band, not necessarily too heavily bass driven), which effects "complement" well the sound of a bass in your opinion?

I know this is quite a "generic" question, but I'm curious to hear your "generic" ideas on the matter ha ha :) .

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 08.24.2007 06:57 PM

If I was going to tell a bassist to get 3 pedals, I'd tell him:

Get a Danelectro French Toast for fuzz
a DOD-250 for overdrive
and a Electro-Harmonix Clone Theory for chorus and vibrato (that also happens to be what Peter Hook used)

nicfit 08.24.2007 07:00 PM

thanks a lot... I'll investigate on those (I'm not at all an effect expert, but I feel like experimenting with a larger "spectrum" of sounds with my bass, your suggestions are greatly appreciated).

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 08.24.2007 10:54 PM

CHOUT, try this out with your polyphase!

feedback all the way up, LFO mode, square wave, speed at 3 o clock, start all the way right, stop all the way left. Plug in the expression pedal, push forward so that you don't hear any phasing. Put on a short echo and maybe a little dirt. Play some major chords and slowly pull back on the expression pedal then push forward and cut the LFO movement when you change chords and repeat. It sounds so damn cool.

CHOUT 08.24.2007 11:35 PM

Quote:

CHOUT, try this out with your polyphase!

feedback all the way up, LFO mode, square wave, speed at 3 o clock, start all the way right, stop all the way left. Plug in the expression pedal, push forward so that you don't hear any phasing. Put on a short echo and maybe a little dirt. Play some major chords and slowly pull back on the expression pedal then push forward and cut the LFO movement when you change chords and repeat. It sounds so damn cool.

Will do.

I can't wait to get the memory man, it's got the built in transformer/power cord...I wonder how hard it is to diy TB these...I know from experience this pedal could use it. Haha, and I'm getting oneenna those new mms soon too.

I'm trading my Turbo Rat for a russian small stone and bassballs this weekend...I don't really need 'em but hopefully they'll be cool...never really used a bassballs.

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 08.25.2007 03:07 AM

Bassballs is cool, I played around with it for a few minutes at a store recently. Sort of like the filter section on the microsynth I think.

king_buzzo 08.25.2007 04:42 AM

hmm, i heard some clips of it and they all sounded badass

stereo pulsar arriving somewhere around thursday

king_buzzo 08.25.2007 04:48 AM

Quote:

If I was going to tell a bassist to get 3 pedals, I'd tell him:

Get a Danelectro French Toast for fuzz
a DOD-250 for overdrive
and a Electro-Harmonix Clone Theory for chorus and vibrato (that also happens to be what Peter Hook used)

i always found tremolo to be sexy on bass. I like wah on bass, its so growly and stuff. Like Kim G's

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 08.25.2007 11:46 AM

But you gotta get the right wah for bass, otherwise. . .