Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

Rob Instigator 01.22.2010 05:05 PM

I found fight club tense yet dull at the theater. Watching it at home made me wanna turn it off. I coudl not care less about the characters. just me I guess. It seemed aimed at 13 year olds who are barely beggining to register that the world sucks.

atsonicpark 01.22.2010 05:08 PM

Fight Club is one of the few mainstream films that gave me hope that we were going to start seeing something interesting in the cinemas in the new millenium. Instead, the past 10 years have been the dullest ever for mainstream films.

Keeping It Simple 01.22.2010 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I found fight club tense yet dull at the theater. Watching it at home made me wanna turn it off. I coudl not care less about the characters. just me I guess. It seemed aimed at 13 year olds who are barely beggining to register that the world sucks.

Fight Club was clearly fantastical escapism for nine-to-fivers.

noisereductions 01.22.2010 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keeping It Simple
Fight Club was clearly fantastical escapism for nine-to-fivers.

have to agree.

Tokolosh 01.22.2010 05:27 PM

Watched Tracks (1977) last night. Excellent.

Is anyone aware that Dennis Hopper is lying on his deathbed?

What a sad way to go:

Actor Dennis Hopper has filed for divorce from his fifth wife even as he’s dying of prostate cancer, reports say.
The 73-year-old Hopper filed papers in a Los Angeles court to split from Victoria Duffy after 13 years of marriage, according to People magazine and the New York Post.
The Post went on to say Duffy has barricaded herself in their California home.
In the court filing, Hopper promises to pay support to the 41-year-old Duffy but insists on joint legal custody of their 6-year-old daughter, Galen. The reports quote sources at the University of Southern California, where Hopper is hospitalized, as saying the disease has spread to his bones and he may have only a month to live.
A friend told The Huffington Post: “Sadly, it’s all about the money and who inherits what. This is about getting Victoria out of the will, nothing more, nothing less.”
In his will, friends say, Hopper leaves Duffy a quarter of his estate, including the Venice Beach property where two of his grown children and their families live, and “an important art collection.”
Hopper revealed in October that he had prostate cancer.

Another link: http://www.newser.com/story/78390/dy...e-divorce.html

Torn Curtain 01.22.2010 05:39 PM

Excellent.

Tokolosh 01.22.2010 05:43 PM

^Still need to see that one.
Really enjoyed Sweetie and The Piano.

ilduclo 01.22.2010 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator

qft

it's typical stuff from Pahluniak.

Keeping It Simple 01.22.2010 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Fight Club is one of the few mainstream films that gave me hope that we were going to start seeing something interesting in the cinemas in the new millenium. Instead, the past 10 years have been the dullest ever for mainstream films.

I absolutely agree. Though Memento deserves a shout.

Rob Instigator 01.22.2010 06:04 PM

I read an article that discussed how the disappearance of the "slush pile" at publishing houses, and at movie studio script rooms has completely eradicated the writers that have no representation.
Used to be studios and publishing houses had a small staff whose job was to read unsolicited manuscripts or to read unsiolicited scripts and determine if the content warranted more investigation.
Nowadays (the say due to too much litigation on the part opf writers whose work is suppsoedly stolen by unscrupulous studios and publishing houses) the heads of these businesses will not read a manuscript or a screenplay/teleplay unless they hav a personal relationship wityh the agent of the person who wrote it.

Everyneurotic 01.22.2010 06:11 PM

i do like fight club but i think i don't like chuck pallaniuk, he seems to me that he's trying to be ballard for dummies.

i haven't read anything by him completely yet, i have only seen fc and choke (meh, promised failed).

noisereductions 01.22.2010 07:45 PM

Choke is a great book.

Derek 01.22.2010 08:07 PM

I watched Oldboy again with my girlfriend (it's her favourite movie) and I liked it more than I did the first time. It's got some really great scenes I didn't pick up on the first go.

jon boy 01.22.2010 08:53 PM

inglorious basterds, meh.

atsonicpark 01.22.2010 09:22 PM

Oh yeah, Memento rules! Actually, I really like Nolan in general. Insomnia and especially Following are great.

..Oldboy is okay. Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance is an absolute masterpiece though. Good director.. I'M A CYBORG BUT THAT'S OKAY and Lady Vengeance are so great too. THirst was alright. Joint Security Area was eh.

atsonicpark 01.22.2010 09:27 PM

ariel - 8/10

symbiopsychotaxiplasm - 7/10

coming apart - 8/10

Dr. Eugene Felikson 01.23.2010 05:00 AM

atsonicpark 01.23.2010 06:56 AM

I love Happy Birthday to Me. Great atmosphere.

fugazifan 01.23.2010 07:08 AM

shivers
was very cool but far fro my favorite cronenberg

Derek 01.23.2010 09:26 AM

Of course. Shivers is hilarious.