Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

noisereductions 01.23.2010 10:19 AM

1. I thought Memento was meh.
2. Happy Birthday To Me is excellent. Seen it many, many times.
3. Shivers is fantastic.

chicka 01.23.2010 10:38 AM

very funny not what I expected which was definitely a great surprise best
line heard in a movie in ages

"You are literally too stupid to insult"

TheFoxBen 01.23.2010 11:04 AM

7/10. A very good Schwarzenegger flick. 9/10 on badassery scale. And his name in this movie is John Matrix ! John FUCKING Matrix !

Matrix: Remember, Sully, when I promised to kill you last?
Sully: That's right, Matrix! You did!
Matrix: I lied.

afterthefact 01.23.2010 11:23 AM

The Earl Of Slander 01.23.2010 09:51 PM

Dr. Eugene Felikson 01.24.2010 01:27 AM

DanielCarlson 01.24.2010 07:05 AM

7/10

8/10

7/10

8/10

atsonicpark 01.24.2010 08:16 AM

Fuck yeah, just re-watched A WOMAN IS A WOMAN last week, brilliant, and I downloaded those two Haneke films yesterday...

PICKPOCKET is one of my all time favs, I need to see more Bresson.

Antagon 01.24.2010 08:27 AM

5/10 due neat visual effects

DanielCarlson 01.24.2010 08:48 AM

No one does these grey, cold movies like Haneke. His movies are hard to watch, they're very realistic and that's exactly what makes them so horrifying. That these people, even though they feel so cold, perhaps isn't very far from how many people are in real life. How we follow routine every day until we're basically emotionless robots.

The Seventh Continent could probably be worth 9/10, but I'm not certain. 71 Fragments was, in my opinion, a bit too slow at times, but at other times it was brilliant. Like a ten minute scene in which an old man talks to his daughter over the phone, or the ping pong scene.

The Earl Of Slander 01.24.2010 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
PICKPOCKET is one of my all time favs, I need to see more Bresson.

I thought it was clearly a very important film for film history, and in many other ways a masterpiece, but it somehow didn't really have an effect on me in the way I was hoping it would. I mean I get that the whole point of the style is effectively that it asks you to supply the emotion, but even compared to other 'removed' films I just didn't massively connect. Still a classic, but not a film I really LOVED on first viewing. That said, it's really stayed with me, and already, the next day, almost seems better than when I was watching it. Usually a sign that a film will grow massively on me upon rewatching it. Here's hoping...

TheFoxBen 01.24.2010 11:01 AM

8/10. This is a great and unique movie. Jaco Van Dormael is probably the best Belgian director around... Can't wait to see Mr. Nobody.

Florya 01.24.2010 02:23 PM

Keeping It Simple 01.24.2010 02:38 PM

Has anyone seen "A Place in the Sun"? I ask because I discovered a DVD of the movie in someone's wheelie bin and took it. It was given free with a sunday newspaper, and was chucked out with it's magazine supplements. Luckily it was lying right at the top, inside the supplement's plastic wrapping. I couldn't believe my luck as I'm a fan of Montgomery Clift and "A Place in the Sun" is considered one of his best movies. It won an impressive six Academy Awards.

fugazifan 01.24.2010 04:52 PM

i saw whatever works which was pretty good. much better than every allen film that ive seen since deconstructing harry.
then i saw paranormal activity. i have to admit that there is one thing that really scares me and that is ghosts. and this movie scared the bejesus outta me. i saw it in the theater with my girlfriend and i stopped holding her hand at some point so that she wouldnt notice how much my palms sweat. so yeah i admit that im afraid of ghosts. oh and jerusaelm is having a huge rainstorm and all of the trees are swaying and wind howling and houses creaking, so i am still a bit scared. so sue me....

chicka 01.25.2010 09:20 AM

Absolutely I've seen A Place in the Sun. Excellent movie as were all of Monty's movies. Elizabeth at her most stunning period and Shelly deserved what she got. What's really cool is the ending wasn't typical hollywood for those days

Florya 01.25.2010 10:33 AM

Sex & Drugs & Rock 'n Roll

Rob Instigator 01.25.2010 12:14 PM

Really enjoyed this. Tim Burton finally figured out how to use songs in his films without that "oh, here we go, let me sit through another stupid song" feeling.
I give it a 9/10. This would have creeped me out bad when I was 8-10.

Saw this again

Even better the second time. It allows the eye to absorb so much more.
10/10

Saw this again, had not seen it in a year or so.

I give it a 9/10, not a 10/10, only because Orny Adams sucks.

DanielCarlson 01.25.2010 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
Tim Burton finally figured out how to use songs in his films without that "oh, here we go, let me sit through another stupid song" feeling.

Indeed, especially since Burton has got nothing to do with Coraline. ;)

noisereductions 01.25.2010 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanielCarlson
Indeed, especially since Burton has got nothing to do with Coraline. ;)

I was gonna say...