Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   the gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=35153)

knox 10.08.2009 03:52 PM

i dont think YOU have any idea of what you're saying.

it's a bit like:

artistic forms are generated by human feelings that form life itself such as joy and sorrow, therefore it is absolutely wrong to attach any other human need or feeling that is not personal to it because I say so.

basically that, means nothing.

knox 10.08.2009 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Genteel Death
gibberish

you would know, right?
you know about gibberish lol.

Genteel Death 10.08.2009 04:02 PM

If you continue being contrary, without toning down your vague sloganeering, which, clearly, makes you avoid the harder route of explaing better your position, I might seriously think you're a waste of space. Ok?

knox 10.08.2009 04:39 PM

do you even understand that you're basically saying the same thing we were?

the gossip is slightly subversive.

everything else you've said is completely unrelated.

we were not having a discussion on whether it is significant or right/wrong for a band to be politically engaged.

Rob Instigator 10.08.2009 04:47 PM

slightly subversive = mostly derivative

pbradley 10.08.2009 04:51 PM

I find it repelling when bands are explicitly political. That may be more because my own distaste for politics, in general, than for whatever reasons concerning the band. Shouldn't be taken as apathy on my part, though, as I love music that has a concern with its own ethics. But the ordering of that ethics into a politics kills my interest in it as artform as it comes to incorporate impersonal notions of mobilization and criticism and a lot of other things that I think trivialize the sentiment. The end result is too big for me to find accessible and too boring.

Genteel Death 10.08.2009 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knox
do you even understand that you're basically saying the same thing we were?

the gossip is slightly subversive.

everything else you've said is completely unrelated.

we were not having a discussion on whether it is significant or right/wrong for a band to be politically engaged.

no, i don't understand you. Also, you come across as patronising, so i'm putting even less effort into it. I agree we have something in common, but it's only (i think?) related to sexuality.

knox 10.08.2009 05:16 PM

what is it?

oh sorry i thought you were being patronising. you were being serious?

i said slightly subversive, because apparently nothing is subversive enough for some people.

tho the agents enforcing order in fascists states would dare disagree: every subversion is a subversion, every seed of subversion is dangerous - they would say.

knox 10.08.2009 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbradley
I find it repelling when bands are explicitly political. That may be more because my own distaste for politics, in general, than for whatever reasons concerning the band. Shouldn't be taken as apathy on my part, though, as I love music that has a concern with its own ethics. But the ordering of that ethics into a politics kills my interest in it as artform as it comes to incorporate impersonal notions of mobilization and criticism and a lot of other things that I think trivialize the sentiment. The end result is too big for me to find accessible and too boring.

i kind of feel the same way but that doesnt mean such efforts arent necessary.

Keeping It Simple 10.08.2009 05:44 PM

Has Beth Ditto ever said The Gossip is subversive?

notyourfiend 10.08.2009 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keeping It Simple

she ended last night's show by having all the queers in the audience sing 'we are the campaigns'

Keeping It Simple 10.08.2009 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notyourfiend
she ended last night's show by having all the queers in the audience sing 'we are the campaigns'

Were there any CIA agents present at the show? :D

knox 10.08.2009 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keeping It Simple

not that im aware of.

notyourfiend 10.08.2009 05:56 PM

sorry, typo, i meant to type we are the champions.....shit, im exhausted....

knox 10.08.2009 05:58 PM

we are the campaigns
sounded really

subversive
lol

Keeping It Simple 10.08.2009 06:00 PM

Quote:

not that im aware of.

You have to admire Beth for causing such a stir. The Gossip are very popular with the UK's indie cognoscenti. The NME loves the band. It even had a naked Beth on the cover of one of its editions.

knox 10.08.2009 06:17 PM

yes i remember that one.

you gotta admire anyone who throws shit in the fan, there just isnt enough of that lately. everyones playing safe.

Genteel Death 10.09.2009 04:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notyourfiend

GROSS

pbradley 10.09.2009 04:45 AM

Quote:

i kind of feel the same way but that doesnt mean such efforts arent necessary.

If I ever think that music is necessary, cut my throat.

Genteel Death 10.09.2009 05:01 AM

Nathan Howdeshell

I think you can be subversive for subversiveness's sake,” he says.
And then you start looking like a pompous Johnny Rotten. It’s more about trying to be positive and exposing the kids to new things and showing them there are different approaches to life, music and creativity.
http://www.citylife.co.uk/music/features/13898_gossip_s_nathan_howdeshell_doesn_t_begrudge_ beth_ditto_her_high_profile

Someone in The Gossip agrees with me.