Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   boring bands (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=34337)

noisereductions 12.03.2010 09:09 AM

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Derek again.

atsonicpark 12.04.2010 05:32 AM

WOWEE ZOWEE is incredible. Probably their best record. I mean, I still prefer Slanted for nostlagia or whatever, but Wowee is their most complete and interesting record.

I really don't care for anything they did after that though.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 12.04.2010 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
wait... Joe you think Pavement is boring???

Did I st-st-st-st-st-st-st-st-st-st-st-st-st-st-st-st-st-st-st-st-st-st-st-st-st-st-st-st-st-st-st-st-st-st-st-st-st-st-st-st-stutter?

But yeah, I do find them pretty boring/sonically unappealing or however you wanna put it. I gave both Wowee Zowee I Sure Am Bored, and Slanted & Inattentive (see what I did there?) more than a fair shot (about 3 good listens each), and honestly couldn't tell you what either album sounded like whatsoever right now. Maybe I just didn't like it, but to put it plainly - I was bored. For all the attention that band gets, I feel that there are many other superior acts in the indie rock genre.

Derek 12.04.2010 08:34 AM

I don't know, I think Slanted & Enchanted is miles better than anything else they did.

atsonicpark 12.04.2010 08:42 AM

Slanted is probably the only record I'd actually reccomend to anyone -- I just think Wowee shows a lot of maturity in songwriting, production, etc. Taken as a whole, it has the most "Good songs" of anything else they've done -- one problem: IT'S WAY TOO LONG. Also, they actually started "learning to play their instrumnets", so nearly every song has guitar solos in them. Guitar solos, unless played by Fruscianted or Richard Bishop or Seeichi Yamamoto or Trey Spruance, almost always suck.

hevusa 12.04.2010 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
WOWEE ZOWEE is incredible. Probably their best record. I mean, I still prefer Slanted for nostlagia or whatever, but Wowee is their most complete and interesting record.

Not even CLOSE to being the best but you have redeemed yourself from the deerhunter thread. ;)

kinn 12.04.2010 08:54 AM

yeh puvmint.

hav u herd dat snog wer dey inuxplucobley sund liek da fall?

jstu did rindum cominceydance.

1 ina billyun.

jsut huppins liek fraek evnet.

hear lissen tu puvmnit dis snog

den lissen 2 da origynal - sozy i mena totully unreelaytid fal snog.

is liek omg.

univarse is pleyin gums loel.

1 in a bilyun.

noisereductions 12.04.2010 09:26 AM

wow. Slanted & Enchanted is easily in my top 10 records of all time Joe. Maybe yr listening wrong?

Cooking With Satan 12.04.2010 07:47 PM

Pavement aren't boring.

They're terribly boring.

I never bought the hype.

noisereductions 12.04.2010 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cooking With Satan
The Stooges aren't boring.

They're terribly boring.

I never bought the hype.

yeah I guess I can see what you mean. Sure they have like 2 good albums, but that was like what? A hundred years ago, right?

atsonicpark 12.04.2010 08:25 PM

I SEE WhaT YOU DID THERE

batreleaser 12.04.2010 08:50 PM

Some of Bill Callahan's newer stuff is boring in a good way. Makes me want to lay down and think back on past experiences and love and stuff. Corny I know but I shit, does his music do this to anyone else? Think about the girl(s) who got away and such?

And to be politically correct, guy(s) as well.

noisereductions 12.04.2010 08:51 PM

Callahan's voice is so fucking great that I dont even care what he's singing... I could listen to him all day (sometimes I do()

batreleaser 12.04.2010 08:56 PM

Agreed 100 percent. I didn't even really get into Smog or Callahan until college (2006) and when I started to get him I realized his stuff is pretty much everything I want from music. Lately, I'll be out with friends and all we ever play is old rock n roll, hip hop and dance music. When I'm by myself, I am more than not listening to Callahan.

noisereductions 12.04.2010 09:16 PM

I actually got into Smog cuz Malkmus mentioned JULIUS CAESAR in an interview as being his fav album of the year so I went out and bought it haha. It ended up being one of my favs too so I started buying all the other Smog albums and was hooked.

Clyde Cat 12.04.2010 11:31 PM

The only band I can really say has ever "bored" me to the point where I didn't want to listen anymore is "Phish". Seriously, I like jam bands but there's a point where I just completely lose interest. Doesn't help they made a pretty mediocre cover of one of the best Ween songs ever.

Also, while I like them, Galaxy 500 is a pretty boring band (even compared to Low) so they'd be my number 2. It even sounds like 80% of their songs start on the same G chord.

Pavement is ace, I can't see how they can be considered "boring". Especially Wowee Zowee, that's probably their craziest/loudest album!

diegobra 01.29.2011 10:05 PM

Husker Du, Pavement, Fugazi

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 01.29.2011 10:19 PM

sex pistols

_slavo_ 01.30.2011 06:17 AM

Bardo Pond is an extremely boring band. Live shows included.

JohnEsmoke 01.30.2011 09:14 AM

I never saw them live but I looooove their records so much, and the last one is really great !
but...
maybe, I can understand why some peaople find bardo pond boring.

diegobra 01.30.2011 09:28 AM

Minutemen

Pelle 01.30.2011 09:34 AM

U2.

They have some good songs, but nahh.. I get sleepy.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 01.30.2011 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _slavo_
Bardo Pond is an extremely boring band. Live shows included.

Bardo Pond are one of my all-time favorites. Their tunes are such a drugged out, distorted haze but they get stuck in my head like crazy! They're like the band that Giant Drag (who I'm also a fan of) are too scared to be. I can believe their live shows being slow at times, definitely. I dunno, I'd probably just be really fucked up.

Lapsed is easily their masterpiece, I don't think they'll ever be able to top it. All of their albums are trippy, peacefully noisy, bluesy and often interesting listening though. And what about the awesome chaotic breakdown at the end of a song like Don't Know About You (off of last year's s/t)? Definitely not boring. Or what about Cracker Wrist!?!? Oh man... their release last year was almost as good as Lapsed now that I think about it. Their albums are littered with amazing noisy breakdowns, and what-have you's that blend into the songs seamlessly.

Outstanding band. I can't get enough.

atsonicpark 01.30.2011 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diegobra
Minutemen

?!

TheDom 01.30.2011 11:29 PM

Quote:

?!

haha exactly what I thought

Dr. Eugene Felikson 01.31.2011 12:16 AM

This thread reminds me of exactly why I love ICP so much. You can talk as much trash as you want about them, their music and their fans, but they could never be called boring. With the hype beats, Faygo flinging, constant chanting, and odd people you'll meet, I'd be astonished to see someone ever calling an ICP show dull.

atsonicpark 01.31.2011 12:29 AM

FUCK FUCK!
FAYGO!
JUGALLO WHOOP WHOOP!
NUTS IN yER SOUP! GLOOP!
FUCK FAYGOOO IS GOOD SO FUCK EMINEM WHOOP WHOOP
IN THIS SONG I SAY FUCK 6254 TIMES
SO I KILLED YA THEN I FUCKED A FAT BITCH PAINTED HER FACE WITH CLOWN MAKE UP THEN I WENT WHOOP WHOOP TO THE JUGALLETTE
ALSO WE ARE ACTUALLY CHRISTIAN THE 7TH JOKER CARD IN THIS DARK CARNIVAL MEANS WE LOVE GOD
HOW BIZARRE
SORR BIZZARE

Agreed, definitely a thrill a minute.

ann ashtray 01.31.2011 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson
This thread reminds me of exactly why I love ICP so much. You can talk as much trash as you want about them, their music and their fans, but they could never be called boring. With the hype beats, Faygo flinging, constant chanting, and odd people you'll meet, I'd be astonished to see someone ever calling an ICP show dull.

Retards are seldom boring, I agree.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 01.31.2011 12:43 AM

Even the Faygo-drenched walk back to your car is a story to tell, especially if it's a winter show and your clothes freeze solid! There's a reason that ICP don't merely have a large fanbase, but an entire subculture dedicated to them. The atmosphere at an ICP show is unbelievably cultish, it actually freaks me out sometimes, but I'm simultaneously intrigued by it. (Sway, wasn't it you who compared them to the Grateful Dead? Or was it SuchFriends?) Y'know Juggalos are a legally recognized gang in some states.

These are people who feel the common need to belong to something larger, and don't feel anywhere more at home than with a group of rapping, serial killing clowns from southwest Detroit. Sure, the average Juggalo is usually an awkward blend of a mall goth and a thug... but that's their thing, and they couldn't give a fuck less! We leave every show soaked, smelling like root beer and crack smoke, and can't get enough of it!

atsonicpark 01.31.2011 01:04 AM

I just heard this song on the radio that went, unedited:

SPIT THE BILE OUT YOUR PANCREAS YOUR SHITTY ASS IM A DOPE TALKIN' LYRICIST PACK A SHANK ON MY HIP, cuz YOU A SKANKY BITCH? I SLIT YOUR WRIST. RUB YOUR CLITORIS. IF YOU'RE INHIBITED, I'LL PISS IN YOUR SYPHILLIS LIKE AN INCUBUS. DR DEATH SURGEON SLICE YOU'LL DIE REALLY SLOW CUZ YOU DON'T APPRECIATE LIFE, YOU'RE WACK CUZ YOU DON'T APPECIATE KNIVES THE WAY MY DICK KNIFE SLICE IT'S PRECISE CALL IT MY DEMONIC DEVICE. TO THOSE IN JAIL, THOSE WITH METH - INHALE, TO THOSE WITH BEEF GET BURIED IN SNAILS. YOUR FACE IS CHARRED YOUR R PUSSY SCARRED I RIP YOUR BREAST APART AND DIGEST YOUR HEART. DIE! YOU KNOW YOU CAN'T FUCK WITH THIS! YOU KNOW YOUR GONNA GET YOUR WHOLE MOTHERFUCKING HEAD SPLIT, YOU BITCH!

that's all from memory. But yeah I don't know what that song was but it was kinda boring.

I forgot to mention the song was 30 seconds long, all alternated tuned, had about 600 time changes, changed riffs 500 tiimes, had a free jazz AND a noise breakdwn and an ambient part.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 01.31.2011 01:13 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnoQrXIQ2M4

atsonicpark 01.31.2011 01:33 AM

goddamn I love michigan. Whenever I played there with my "experimental avant garde music", people were so fucking receptive, much moreso than anywhere else in the midwest. Also, I saw Michael Moore's house (that's what the driver said), and I yelled "YOUR DOCUMENTARIES ARE AVERAGE FOR THE MOST PART!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Also, Little Caesars is my favorite pizza place and I went to a street where there was a Little Caesars on one side of the street, and then I went down the street some more and there was a Little Caesars on that other side of the street!

There are Faygo flavors in Michigan I am convinced that don't really fucking exist. Oh my god. And I LOVE Faygo. I remember getting cream soda and pinneaple Faygo for 15 fucking cents. Now it's like 43 cents a bottle, but they don't even have FROSH anymore so they can suck my fatty alfredo.

ann ashtray 01.31.2011 02:22 AM

Quote:

Even the Faygo-drenched walk back to your car is a story to tell, especially if it's a winter show and your clothes freeze solid! There's a reason that ICP don't merely have a large fanbase, but an entire subculture dedicated to them. The atmosphere at an ICP show is unbelievably cultish, it actually freaks me out sometimes, but I'm simultaneously intrigued by it. (Sway, wasn't it you who compared them to the Grateful Dead? Or was it SuchFriends?) Y'know Juggalos are a legally recognized gang in some states.

These are people who feel the common need to belong to something larger, and don't feel anywhere more at home than with a group of rapping, serial killing clowns from southwest Detroit. Sure, the average Juggalo is usually an awkward blend of a mall goth and a thug... but that's their thing, and they couldn't give a fuck less! We leave every show soaked, smelling like root beer and crack smoke, and can't get enough of it!

If they truuuuuly didn't give a fuck less, they wouldn't be just another mall rat gothed out thug. Hence, the feeling of needing to belong to something larger.

If it works for them, great. I just never got it. Virtually every one of those kids I've ever met is a complete moron, or got over that stage before the age of 17.

but again, different strokes for different folks.

I'd rather not be soaked in cheap soda. A marketing scheme at it's finest.

atsonicpark 01.31.2011 03:23 AM

Hmm... If you're implying ICP are sponsored by Faygo, they aren't, so it isn't a marketing scheme.

However, it may be a marketing scheme on ICP's part -- "hey, homeless, thirsty hobos living on the street -- come to our concerts and you get free drinks! .. of Faygo!"

Hm.

_slavo_ 01.31.2011 04:36 AM

Quote:

Bardo Pond are one of my all-time favorites. Their tunes are such a drugged out, distorted haze but they get stuck in my head like crazy! They're like the band that Giant Drag (who I'm also a fan of) are too scared to be. I can believe their live shows being slow at times, definitely. I dunno, I'd probably just be really fucked up.

Lapsed is easily their masterpiece, I don't think they'll ever be able to top it. All of their albums are trippy, peacefully noisy, bluesy and often interesting listening though. And what about the awesome chaotic breakdown at the end of a song like Don't Know About You (off of last year's s/t)? Definitely not boring. Or what about Cracker Wrist!?!? Oh man... their release last year was almost as good as Lapsed now that I think about it. Their albums are littered with amazing noisy breakdowns, and what-have you's that blend into the songs seamlessly.

Outstanding band. I can't get enough.

okay, fine. still boring.

ann ashtray 01.31.2011 06:06 AM

Quote:

Hmm... If you're implying ICP are sponsored by Faygo, they aren't, so it isn't a marketing scheme.

However, it may be a marketing scheme on ICP's part -- "hey, homeless, thirsty hobos living on the street -- come to our concerts and you get free drinks! .. of Faygo!"

Hm.

You could be correct, but I don't believe it for a minute. Why waste x amount of money when Faygo would gladly donate it. I mean, how many people drink this shit because of ICP?

Dr. Eugene Felikson 01.31.2011 07:50 AM

They aren't affiliated whatsoever. Faygo is just a ghetto-ass off brand pop made in Michigan that's been around since 1907. They first started name dropping it in songs because that's what everybody around here drinks. There were a few 2 liters at a show once, and a Faygo fight broke out, the crowd exploded, and ever since then they truly incorporated it into their artistic persona.

What's the big deal about rappers plugging one of their favorite products anyway? They all do it.... it's hip-hop, not (s)Wayne Newton.

Derek 01.31.2011 08:10 AM

When rappers rap about Gucci does that mean it's a marketing scheme? Hell naw, they just love bigass chains and gold $$$.

I've heard ICP's earlier stuff and thought it was kinda boring though.

atsonicpark 01.31.2011 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ann ashtray
You could be correct, but I don't believe it for a minute. Why waste x amount of money when Faygo would gladly donate it. I mean, how many people drink this shit because of ICP?

What a bizarre post.

Why is it so hard to believe, anyway? I mean, it's just a CHEAP drink they like -- so cheap that there's no way Faygo probably makes enough money to even pay ICP to "pretend" to like them or something if they wanted to. The drink is from Michigan, as are ICP. They like the drink.

All big rappers talk about Cristal and PlayStations and guns and all kinds of shit, and I'm pretty sure most of them aren't sponsored by any of that shit.

I'm pretty sure ICP -- who are MILLIONAIRES -- has no problem whatsoever spending 30-50 cents a bottle for 100 bottles of Faygo at a show. It's kinda expected now.

I don't think there's any conspiracy or backdoor dealings going on here. And even if there was, who cares -- it'd just be more brilliant marketing on behalf of those brilliant millionaires in ICP.

As for ICP being boring, I tend to find almost all rap boring after a while. It really takes a truly talented rapper to entertain me for 80 fucking minutes -- all these groups throw in ridiculous skits, guest rappers, do everything in their POWER to try to make their albums not boring, but alas... that's why WU TANG has always been so remarkable, they can do a 2 disc set like FOREVER and I don't find it boring to listen to at all (though many of the songs aren't as good as ones on 36 Chambers). They've got 1. Interesting production/beats that CONSTANTLY change (RZA is a musical genius, really), 2. 10 (counting Capp) intereting voices, and about 6 of them are damn good rappers, 3. songs that are either completely devoid of a chorus or the chorus isn't annoying and overwhelming like most rap songs. 4. Truely interesting, sometimes downright bizarre, subject matter in their lyrics... and on and on and on. Most rappers have themselves and a few of their like-minded friends rapping about the same fucking garbage, over the same boring ass beats, which are all just filler for the obvious chorus, and the skits usually involve them talking about the same shit they talked about in other songs, or it's just them lighting up a joint. ICP's early stuff has some pretty cool horror rhyming going on, but actually sitting through an entire album doesn't do much for me.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 01.31.2011 09:13 AM

Quote:

Also, Little Caesars is my favorite pizza place and I went to a street where there was a Little Caesars on one side of the street, and then I went down the street some more and there was a Little Caesars on that other side of the street!

There are Faygo flavors in Michigan I am convinced that don't really fucking exist. Oh my god. And I LOVE Faygo. I remember getting cream soda and pinneaple Faygo for 15 fucking cents. Now it's like 43 cents a bottle, but they don't even have FROSH anymore so they can suck my fatty alfredo.

Oh yea man, we have a Little Caesars just about every mile or so, no matter where you are in the state. After the crash of the auto industry everyone around here is poor, depressed, and in need of Hot N' Readies. It sucks that we don't have any Waffle Houses though.

Cream Soda is one of my favorites. My top 5 are Dr. Faygo, Grape, Moon Mist, Rock N Rye, and Peach! But I seriously love 'em all. Pineapple is actually the only flavor that I dislike. Which sucks, since I love the fruit - I even put it on my pizza! We used to have a Candy Apple flavor that was spectacular, I've heard rumors that they still appear in stores outside of MI? I'm not too sure what's up with that.