Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

Rob Instigator 05.09.2010 04:21 PM

plus it was definitely affected by the "we have to be SERIOUS about this" mentality after homie slammed back too many of the Olsen twins prescriptions.

The actress was very beautiful although I found it a bit odd that the film seems to aim to make us wanna fuck the shit out of this 15-16 year old character or maybe Lily Cole's just too damn hot!

Keeping It Simple 05.09.2010 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
plus it was definitely affected by the "we have to be SERIOUS about this" mentality after homie slammed back too many of the Olsen twins prescriptions.

The actress was very beautiful although I found it a bit odd that the film seems to aim to make us wanna fuck the shit out of this 15-16 year old character or maybe Lily Cole's just too damn hot!

She looks half human, half grey alien.

atsonicpark 05.09.2010 04:59 PM

HANNAH TAKES THE STAIRS - 6/10
PUFFY CHAIR - 6/10
BAGHEAD - 6/10
MUTUAL APPRECIATION - 4/10

Mumblecore.. meh.

kierkegaarden 05.09.2010 05:44 PM

Toilet & Bowels 05.09.2010 06:52 PM

Raigyo

It's a pinky film if that means anything to anyone, and very good. 8/10.

atsonicpark 05.09.2010 06:57 PM

cool, gonna get it.

PINKY rules

noisereductions 05.09.2010 07:43 PM

the first Nuke Em High is amazing.

demonrail666 05.09.2010 07:51 PM

I remember being ill as a kid and having to stay home from school for a couple of weeks and watching Nuke 'Em High and Return of the Living Dead on a virtual loop the entire time. Happy days.

atsonicpark 05.09.2010 08:14 PM

Yeah, the FIRST (first only) Nuke'Em High is probably the only Kaufman film I really love, with Citizen Toxie coming close, too. As much as I love Troma, I'm more into the non-directed-by-Lloyd films, and I actually straight-up dislike a few of his films..

stu666 05.10.2010 01:48 AM

noisereductions 05.10.2010 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Yeah, the FIRST (first only) Nuke'Em High is probably the only Kaufman film I really love, with Citizen Toxie coming close, too. As much as I love Troma, I'm more into the non-directed-by-Lloyd films, and I actually straight-up dislike a few of his films..

the first Nuke Em, the first Toxic, Citizen Toxie and Terror Firmer are his best.

atsonicpark 05.10.2010 07:44 AM

Terror Firmer is soooooooooooooooooooooooo long. Over 2 hours. UGH.

atsonicpark 05.10.2010 07:45 AM

Also, I felt like Terror Firmer was just a bloodier Cecil B. Demented. Didn't see the appeal at all, a brilliant scene or two here or there. Really, his pre-Toxic Avenger movies, like Stuck on You! and the First Turn-On, are actually his most unique and interesting films.

atsonicpark 05.10.2010 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stu666

I liked this movie just fine, mainly the crazy set design, but didn't it just feel like a Mighty Boosh episode, with a tacked-on "twist"? It should have just been a Mighty boosh episode, would've been way better that way, since Noel and Julian's cameos are actually quite distracting and don't fit the film. Also, the girl was annoying. I sound like I'm complaining a lot, but I liked the film.

noisereductions 05.10.2010 08:04 AM

Quote:

Also, I felt like Terror Firmer was just a bloodier Cecil B. Demented. Didn't see the appeal at all, a brilliant scene or two here or there. Really, his pre-Toxic Avenger movies, like Stuck on You! and the First Turn-On, are actually his most unique and interesting films.

Terror Firmer is super long yes. It's incredibly self-indulgent. I think that is the appeal. It's basically SCREAM 3. Starring Troma dudes. I don't know. I thought it was a lot of fun.

yeah, like I've said I've seen a LOT of Troma stuff. I actually own a ton of the old VHS. I can't remember, was that early one with Kevin Costner directed by Lloyd or not? Um. What was it called? Squeeze Play? I have that somewhere for instance.

atsonicpark 05.10.2010 08:10 AM

Sizzle Beach USA? No.

noisereductions 05.10.2010 08:29 AM

Quote:

Sizzle Beach USA? No.

ah yeah Sizzle Beach. I get confused becuz there's a ton of Troma shiz that I watched becuz Lloyd directed or mentioned in one of his two books. And then there's a pile of them that I watched becuz they were on the giant wiki list of USA UP ALL NIGHT flicks. So i can't keep track.

atsonicpark 05.11.2010 02:44 AM

shirin - 6/10

This whole film is like the screenshots above. It's 118 different women staring at a theater screen. The only "Action" is the dialogue/sound effects from the movie they're watching on the screen (which is never shown), and their faces.

Yet it was quite compelling and brilliant, if "difficult" hah.

atsonicpark 05.11.2010 02:57 AM

Also, I've decided to make a my-favorite-movies-from-each-country list:

Korea: Ki-Duk Kim
France: Jean-Luc Godard
U.S.: Jon Jost
England: Alfred Hitchcock
Japan: Takeshi Kitano
Italy: Roberto Rossellini
Sweden: Ingmar Bergman
Germany: R.W. Fassbinder
Vietnam: Tran Anh Hung
India: Satyajit Ray
Finland: Aki Kaurismaki
Egypt: Youssef Chahine
Czech Republic: Milos Forman
Cuba: Tomas Gutierrez Alea
Brazil: Glauber Rocha
Canada: Atom Egoyan
Iran: Abbas Kiarostami
Taiwan: Hou Hsiao-Hsien
Russia: Andrei Tarkovsky
Yugoslavia: Dusan Makavejev
India: Satyajit Ray
Thailand: Weerasethakul Apichatpong
Hong Kong: Wong Kar-Wai (also Johnnie To)
Denmark: Lars Von Trier
Poland: Roman Polanski
Spain: Pedro Almodóvar
Turkey: Yilmaz Guney
Greece: Theo Angelopoulos
Italy: Michelangelo Antonioni
Mexico: Alendjro Jodorwsky
Belgium: Chantal Akerman
Australia: Fred Schepisi
Senegal: Ousmane Sembene
Austria: Fritz Lang
Switzerland: Alain Tanner