Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

noisereductions 06.03.2010 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
Is this "Let The Right One In?"
It is coming from Netflix tomorrow! I am excited to see it.

yes it is... and it's fantastic.

SuperCreep 06.03.2010 10:14 AM

for the billionth time. stunning.

Rob Instigator 06.03.2010 10:17 AM

I got Russian Ark on the netflix queu (sp?) as well.

been excited to see it for a while now.

fugazifan 06.03.2010 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson

10/10

I was expecting a masterpiece going into it, and definitely got what I asked for. This film completely lives up to it's hype. Thankfully I purchased the version with the proper subtitles.

yeah i thought that it was fantastic.
like a perfect desolate scandinavian film WITH VAMPIRES

Count Mecha 06.03.2010 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson
You most likely watched a copy with the non-theatrical subtitles. Or perhaps you had a proper DVD, but were watching the English dub, or perhaps the 1st set of subtitles (you must select English 2 to view the film as it was meant to be). The variance between the two subtitle tracks alters the viewing experience greatly.

Check out this link - http://iconsoffright.com/news/2009/0...les_in_to.html

I felt that the shots were very well composed, and effective at conveying the chilling European atmosphere. The plot seems strong enough to stand on it's own reasonably well, even without it's fantastical elements. The cutesy child vampire tale with ghastly special effects was just icing on the cake, that I gleefully devoured.

Hmm, perhaps I did watch it with the wrong subtitles. I'll give it another go sometime just to be absolutely sure. I'll agree with the first part, I liked the vibe of the movie. Kind of slow, not alot of music from what I remember and vaguely haunting with all of the whites and greys. The movie feels cold that's for sure. But I also remember feeling that parts of the plot didn't have a proper exposition, like those hunter guys, they just seemed kind of around. My favorite bit of cinematography that I can recall is at the end when he's underwater. Either way, it probably doesn't help that I'm not too into vampire pictures. As I've said on here before, my favorite vampire movie is Vampire's Kiss, and it's not even really a vampire movie.

Just watched this the other day:

A much better film than the cover looks. The cover looks like Gold Diggers: Secret of Bear Mountain or something. The film is actually fairly dark and explores Native American desolation, reservation living, prejudice, all that jazz. Very cool movie and I'll watch anything with Gary Farmer in it.

Also saw the newly restored Metroplis, it's amazing how adding that stuff actually improves the pace. The film flows alot better now. And the Thin Man/11811 subplot is badass.

batreleaser 06.03.2010 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
I liked Thirst better, as far as two stylish vampire flicks that came out at the same time. Not too big into vampire films though.

I love "Thirst"

batreleaser 06.03.2010 05:16 PM

The "Let the Right One in" novel was great. A fucking wicked vampire back story for Eli that is only hinted in the creepy image of Eli's genitals.

Derek 06.03.2010 05:16 PM

Thirst is cool... too long though!

atsonicpark 06.04.2010 05:24 AM

"Too long" applies to every film from Asia (except, strangely, or appropriately, Kitano's!).

noisereductions 06.04.2010 07:16 AM

Quote:

"Too long" applies to every film from Asia (except, strangely, or appropriately, Kitano's!).

too long applies to most films over 80 mins. Slashers had that shit down to a science.

viewtiful alan redux 06.04.2010 07:47 AM

7.5/10
Amazingly well made for its time, and pretty entertaining. I reecomend it if you like/are open to silent film.

atsonicpark 06.04.2010 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
too long applies to most films over 80 mins. Slashers had that shit down to a science.

I have to agree, actually. Godard films, too, are hardly ever more than 70-80 minutes long.

Strangely, my favorite film ever is 4 hours long..

Derek 06.04.2010 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions

Definitely. Most movies over that length just have unnecessary padding out.
Quote:

Actually that's pretty true I guess. Tetsuo is only an hour long but it still feels extremely long when I watch it.

atsonicpark 06.04.2010 09:15 AM

Tetsuo is 50 minutes. I think it's a perfect length, and it's actually why all my films are 45-50 minutes. It just feels like the perfect length to me.

Derek 06.04.2010 09:17 AM

Hmm let me see...

"Runtime: 67 min | Argentina:69 min (Mar del Plata Film Festival)"

But yeah, don't lengthen your movies!

viewtiful alan redux 06.04.2010 09:25 AM

My favorite movie is, technically, 8 hours long

atsonicpark 06.04.2010 09:25 AM

The runtime on the old vhs I have says 52 minutes or something like that.

Either way, the whole thing with Tetsuo -- and my movies -- is they move so fast and there is so much information to take in, that it can be overwhelming.

Did you watch currently untitled yet? It's by far my best/craziest..

atsonicpark 06.04.2010 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by viewtiful alan redux
My favorite movie is, technically, 8 hours long

Hmm.. Satantango is 7 1/2 hours. Which is another one of my favs.

BERLIN ALEXANDERPLATZ is 15 hours. Not one of my favs but I do like it.

viewtiful alan redux 06.04.2010 09:40 AM

I've heard of berlin... I'm intimidated by it. I was referring to The Human Condition, which is easily one of the unsung masterpieces of cinema

atsonicpark 06.04.2010 09:46 AM

Isn't it technically 9 1/2 hours?