Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   what are you reading? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=3180)

mil_pl 04.26.2008 09:55 AM

i've just read 'Ubik' by Philip K. Dick - and its awesome, mindblowing, scary book.

i also like very much the adaptation of A Scanner Darkly with Keanu Reeves, Winona Ryder, Robert Downey Jr, Woody Harelsson. Anybody saw that movie?

screamingskull 04.26.2008 09:59 AM

and

which i am struggling to get through

ALIEN ANAL 04.26.2008 10:00 AM

i loved that movie
my fav scene is when they are all paranoid about someone being in the house
it was perfect
it captured being paranoid on drugs poooifectly

Derek 04.26.2008 10:20 AM

I'm on my third reading of Naked Lunch, with On The Road being read on the side.

✌➬ 04.26.2008 10:43 AM

Several books regarding Camus writing style.

Dead-Air 04.26.2008 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mil_pl
i've just read 'Ubik' by Philip K. Dick - and its awesome, mindblowing, scary book.

i also like very much the adaptation of A Scanner Darkly with Keanu Reeves, Winona Ryder, Robert Downey Jr, Woody Harelsson. Anybody saw that movie?

Yes, it is one of a handful of actualy great science fiction movies, and the best PKD adaptation ever in my opinion. You should read Now Wait for Last Year, that's my favorite PDK drug story.

Glice 04.26.2008 01:04 PM

I'm reading up on Mahayana Buddhism, having managed to forget a lot of it in the last few years. It's tricky, making good of all these text books floating around my person...

forkimified 04.26.2008 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by looking glass spectacle

ha. I have that exact book. I remember for some reason my best friend stole about 10 copies from the school for some reason :p
it wasn't even a book they taught anymore.

fugazifan 04.26.2008 01:36 PM

great expectations

mil_pl 04.26.2008 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dead-Air
Yes, it is one of a handful of actualy great science fiction movies, and the best PKD adaptation ever in my opinion. You should read Now Wait for Last Year, that's my favorite PDK drug story.

i've read "The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch" and it's good as Ubik.

Also I've read "VALIS" which is the break of PKD i think.. it was hard to read this book.

i will buy Now Wait for Last Year in time ;) Blade Runner is great movie, but not an 'adaption' it's only the idea from Do androids dream of electric sheeps. Minoroity Report based on short story of PKD is not that bad as an action movie. Greets man.

mil_pl 04.26.2008 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALIEN ANAL
i loved that movie
my fav scene is when they are all paranoid about someone being in the house
it was perfect
it captured being paranoid on drugs poooifectly

yeah, or when Barris bought new bike - it was awesome! :D

batreleaser 04.26.2008 04:36 PM

i dont want to make this a downer thread, but ive actually been reading the journal of a friend of mine who overdosed about a year ago. i went home for a little while because his parents had a memorial gettogether for him and me and my other highschool friends were in his room just talking and stuff and i found it lying around (his parents havnt even been able to move anything in his room yet, sad), i asked his parents if i could have it and they said yes.

its very sad but it definitley has been giving me a better sense and understanding of the circumstances surrounding his death, and in a way has helped me come to a little bit better terms with it.

so uhh, yeah sorry for that. but thats really what ive been reading.

gmku 04.26.2008 05:17 PM

You'll shoot me for this, I'm sure, because it seems like such a Cantankerous kind of thing to do, but I'm re-reading Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

forkimified 04.27.2008 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mil_pl
Also I've read "VALIS" which is the break of PKD i think.. it was hard to read this book.

Some of the ideas in that book reminded me of Snow Crash... which is def. a lighter read...

VALIS is such a dense book, with a million and one references to various things. I'm glad Wikipedia was invented before I tried to make it through that one. But, even if you don't understand EVERYTHING at first, it still has enough funny parts or just interesting ideas to keep it going...

I just know if I ever finish losing my mind, I probably won't be able to make such a good book out of it.

demonrail666 04.27.2008 01:10 PM

Just bought Saul Bellow's Herzog. Looking forward to starting it when I finish teaching next week

debradarko 04.28.2008 01:33 AM

I have to read To Kill a Mockingbird for school

Sonic Youth 37 04.28.2008 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by debradarko

Excellent, excellent book. I read it 5 or so years ago.

Ulysses page 638. Getting close to the end now.

jonathan 04.28.2008 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
Just bought Saul Bellow's Herzog. Looking forward to starting it when I finish teaching next week

I really like Saul Bellow. There is something about his writing style that seems really familiar, for lack of a better word.

I recently read Ravelstien, and even writings from his later years are relatable...

Death & the Maiden 04.28.2008 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by debradarko

I had to read that last year for school. It is a really good book.

Everyneurotic 05.05.2008 05:51 PM

started it last night:

not this edition though, mine is translated "thus spoke zarathustra".