Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

tw2113 07.17.2010 08:21 PM

Kickass

atsonicpark 07.17.2010 08:21 PM

Kickass kicks ass.

noisereductions 07.17.2010 08:58 PM

you guys know how "Hollywood Cooley" is. :)

viewtiful alan redux 07.17.2010 09:02 PM

2.5/10
Yes, it is THAT bad. It just fucking failed from teh ground up... the dialogue and script were entertainingly awful though.

7/10
Good, not great.

8.5/10
I fucking loved this movie.

noisereductions 07.17.2010 09:06 PM

^WTF is THAT???? Jonah Hill is hilarious, and Catherine Keener fuckng rules.

viewtiful alan redux 07.17.2010 09:11 PM

Its basically an exceptional indie comedy.
If you are a fan of Jonah Hill, you have to see this. Its... possibly his best performance as an actor.

noisereductions 07.17.2010 09:14 PM

amazing. What I like about him so much is that his delivery proves to me that he understands acting. Not just comedy. Not just being crass. He knows how to come across genuine -- and with genuine reACTions. He's very awesome. SUPERBAD is a favorite of mine, and a lot has to do with how believable Jonah and Cera are in that. I fucking knew those dudes in high school. Y'know?

and enough can't be said about Catherine Keener. She's just so great.

BTW, why the fuck did you see The Last Air Bender??

atsonicpark 07.17.2010 10:04 PM

Can't wait to see Cyrus, even though Baghead and Puffy Chair aren't that great.

And I hate the Royal Tannenbaums. Most annoying characters ever. Such a dull dull movie.

noisereductions 07.17.2010 10:06 PM

I love Tannenbaums. Easily my favorite Anderson flick.

Bottle Rocket - so so
Rushmore - awesome
Tannenbaums - slightly more awesome
Life Aquatic - meh
Darjiling - ok
new one - didn't see

atsonicpark 07.17.2010 10:25 PM

To be honest, I find most of those films kinda boring and dull. I just don't really get into his style at all. It's this really REALLY dry (but unfunny) thing with unlikeable characters getting into really safe situations (I'd say "obvious" but they're not so much that as they are "complacent"; like, nothing surprising happens ever, it all just kinda goes from one ultradry "kinda quirky" segment to the next). My thing about Tannenbaums is that the first 20 minutes is this really long narrated thing, with each character and their life history, and I really think it's such a terrible way to open a film; 20 minutes of a guy going, "YEAH, THIS GIRL HAD A BIRD AND IT DID THIS, AND THEN THE DAD WAS SAD AND THE MOM WAS MAD AND THE OTHER KID DID THIS OH AND THEN 3 YEARS LATER AT A BIRTHDAY, THE DAD WAS SMOKING AND HE DID THIS." I just found that annoying, so that by the time the actual "film" happens, I'm already just out of it... the pacing is terrible and the characters suck. then the rest of the film freely cuts between these characters I can't stand. It doesn't help that he casts the Wilsons, Stiller, Adrien Brody, all people I don't like. I dunno. Just not into his style or his storytelling.

I think Rushmore is really good though. Actually, it's great. He uses what I find irritating about his other flicks and does something interesting with it. Of his other films, Bottle Rocket is tolerable. The rest just... eh.

noisereductions 07.17.2010 10:36 PM

if I saw Tannenbaums for the first time today, I might not liek it. But ... well that's a lie. But it made me cry to be blunt. And to be blunt again, I've never watched it without crying. So I guess the whole is it good/bad thing doesn't matter. It affects me. So I like it.

Rushmore I can just say is a really really good movie. It's funny.

atsonicpark 07.17.2010 10:42 PM

I just can't get into movies where I don't like the characters. I mean, it's just as plain as that. I think the editing was good but... I mean, that's it. Some of the direction and editing. I just couldn't get into it. And I tried. It seems Mr. Anderson just has a very very particular sense of humor -- don't worry, I have that too! -- and it's not one that I'm into...

Rushmore was a lot easier to relate to, and appreciate, for me at least. And I felt lots of it genuinely amusing.

tw2113 07.18.2010 12:19 AM

Kickass wasn't bad but at the same time wasn't one I was going to commit to burning my pirated copy of. 6 out of 10

After that I saw this

So bad it was half decent. 5 out of 10 with some rather decent humorous moments and just enough WTF to keep me going.

atsonicpark 07.18.2010 12:22 AM

Bad Biology rules. Henenlotter is a genius.

tw2113 07.18.2010 12:37 AM

biggest LOL moment was the mechanical device used to jerk Baatz off

atsonicpark 07.18.2010 12:38 AM

The only thing I didn't like about it was the "yo yo yo" white people trying to be urban...

But the stop motion penis! Damn!

Have you seen Brain Damage? That's probably my favorite non-slasher horror film ever. 10/10 movie./.

me. 07.18.2010 04:25 AM

Tokyo Eyes

Derek 07.18.2010 04:28 AM

Yeah Bad Biology is hilarious.

me. 07.18.2010 04:33 AM

Brain Damage,that takes me back,might have to give that a re-watch soon.

atsonicpark 07.18.2010 04:35 AM

I really liked Tokyo Eyes. Not many people did, though. It's nothing groundbreaking, but a) it has Kitano, b) it has Virtua Fighter, c) it has disaffected youth.