Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Unpopular Musical Opinions (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=972)

Rob Instigator 06.23.2009 01:52 PM

I used to think the cure sucked when I was in middle school early high school cuz all I wanted to listen to was minor threat andmegadeth and motorhead and the misfits and then I picked up MIXED UP and listened to it for months and then got kiss me kiss me kiss me and standing on the beahc and boys dont cry and all sorts of older shit and they became one of my fave bands.

personally I would rather hear the smiths and the cure than iron maiden and judas priest, or the kinks and the who ANYDAY

Rob Instigator 06.23.2009 01:52 PM

strangeways is my favorite.

Decayed Rhapsody 06.23.2009 02:18 PM

(1) Sometimes I want to punch Ian Mackaye in the face and tell him to stop his preachy armchair bullshit. No one will ever take the drugs, sex and booze out of my rock and roll.

(2) Psychedelic Horseshit, Tyvek, Pink Reason, Nothing People, Pink Noise, Naked on the Vague, The Strange Boys, Crystal Stilts (live), Nodzz, Wavves, The Beets, Zola Jesus, Circuits des Yeux.. all run the gamut from mediocre to so insipid that I'm wondering what people are smoking when they tell me "this is where it's really at."

atsonicpark 06.23.2009 02:34 PM

The Beets? Killer Tofu?! They rule!!!!!!!!!!

Pink Reason are great too. "Borrowed Time"!

Trasher02 06.23.2009 02:50 PM

How can anyone hate the strange boys?

greedrex 06.23.2009 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Decayed Rhapsody
(1) Sometimes I want to punch Ian Mackaye in the face and tell him to stop his preachy armchair bullshit. No one will ever take the drugs, sex and booze out of my rock and roll.

(2) Psychedelic Horseshit, Tyvek, Pink Reason, Nothing People, Pink Noise, Naked on the Vague, The Strange Boys, Crystal Stilts (live), Nodzz, Wavves, The Beets, Zola Jesus, Circuits des Yeux.. all run the gamut from mediocre to so insipid that I'm wondering what people are smoking when they tell me "this is where it's really at."

repped

Rob Instigator 06.23.2009 10:36 PM

visiting gmku

This Is Not Here 06.23.2009 11:08 PM

- Dinosaur Jr. are a fret board wanking 'look at me I can play guitar band', a good one, but one all the same. They're very overated, though they've made some very good records

This Is Not Here 06.23.2009 11:10 PM

- Bob Dylan is almost totally unlistenable after the year 1970.

This Is Not Here 06.23.2009 11:11 PM

-Roger Waters is the best lyricist in all of 'classic rock', perhaps of all time

dionysusundone 06.23.2009 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Decayed Rhapsody

WHaaat. I like at least four of those. Some I haven't heard. But Psych. HS. DO blow. So do Strange Boys, and Wavves are like whatever.

Jeremy 06.24.2009 12:58 AM

Kim Gordon is a terrible bassist who is downright one of the most annoying musicians I've ever seen.

Smiths don't deserve any of the praise they get; Nothing that REM, The Cure, and Joy Division didn't do fifty times better.

While I respect what Jimi Hendrix did for music, I have yet to see what makes him the greatest guitarist ever. Yeah, he came first, but that doesn't make him the best.

Pearl Jam are a great band with some great albums.

What else....

~Jeremy~

GeneticKiss 06.24.2009 01:37 AM

Muse aren't the worst band ever, but they're not as groundbreaking as some people have thought they are.

greedrex 06.24.2009 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swa(y)
sleater kinney suck mold.

SK are top of the pops dude.
Their last album was terrible but all the others are great.

ZEROpumpkins 06.24.2009 02:35 AM

I don't care if I'd like them or not, but I refuse to listen to Psychedelic Horseshit because it is the worst band name ever.

This Is Not Here 06.24.2009 02:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeneticKiss
Muse aren't the worst band ever, but they're not as groundbreaking as some people have thought they are.

That's not an unpopular opinion at all, thats fence sitting.

This Is Not Here 06.24.2009 02:49 AM

There are few duller bands than R.E.M.

automatic bzooty 06.24.2009 03:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeremy
Kim Gordon is a terrible bassist who is downright one of the most annoying musicians I've ever seen.

nice thing to say on a sonic youth board, eh?

what annoys you 'bout her, man?

automatic bzooty 06.24.2009 03:36 AM

well, yeah. but i don't get how he can be, like, on an sy fan forum and not like kim at all. it's not like, "oh, i hate such and such album or phase or... " etc., it's "i think an especially integral member of the group is really crappy."

i know i'm sounding like an asshole here, but i'm not meaning to. lyke rlyz.

Rob Instigator 06.24.2009 09:25 AM

Jeremy likes Pearl Jam. nuff said.