Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Vivian Girls (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=22724)

atsonicpark 12.03.2008 03:22 PM

Multiple cameras are usually setup around the area of interest and synchronized to shoot at the same time. This was done in The Matrix using some Chroma keying (what's typically referred to as Green Screening or blue screening) although an earlier use of it was done with a horse wayback when with black and white photography in an attempt to proove that there is a moment when all four of the horse's hooves are off the ground at one point in time.

Around the time of The Matrix's release this was also used in a car commercial along with some chroma keying again where a kid tossed a cheese puff/ball into the air whil this guy commented on the interior. So in answer to your question they used the time track photography/videography to record things from multiple angles. But they also used some Chroma Keying (green screen) so they could composite someone moving in realtime.

The green is usually omitted in favor of whatever is in the other videostream essentially since they aren't necessairly there they have to mime or pretend they are. But even then time track photography/videography has to be used so that they are convincgly portrayed as being there. So then the question becomes how come you don't see the cameras? The answer they most likely paint or block them out with the same color so that they too are omitted in favor of the stream that actually has a background.

Also for this to really work you need a green room not just a green screen. One screen alone won't work so well with time track photography/videography is this is what you intend to do. A whole room of green/blue is

narlus 12.03.2008 05:23 PM

er....okay.

whorefrost 12.04.2008 06:48 PM

I am deeply in love with the guitarist

uhler 12.05.2008 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whorefrost

she's cute, but there's something about the bass player that gets me.

GravitySlips 12.05.2008 04:03 AM

the one on the right, is the best. which one is that?

lechaoscestmoi 12.05.2008 04:08 AM

^ well the guitarist is definitely not the one in the middle. she is no longer in the band i think, good riddance.

uhler 12.05.2008 04:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lechaoscestmoi
^ well the guitarist is definitely not the one in the middle. she is no longer in the band i think, good riddance.

yeah she is. she's the drummer.

their old drummer quit and joined the crystal stilts. that's the only memeber that is no longer in the band.

whorefrost 12.05.2008 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GravitySlips
the one on the right, is the best. which one is that?

the guitarist. The plaid shirt, blonde hair, and laconic demeanour get me every time. Christ, I can imagine driving straight home after their show, holing myself up in my bedroom and punching holes in the wall whilst sobbing.

uhler 12.05.2008 04:02 PM

Quote:

the guitarist. The plaid shirt, blonde hair, and laconic demeanour get me every time. Christ, I can imagine driving straight home after their show, holing myself up in my bedroom and punching holes in the wall whilst sobbing.

and jerking off with the other hand.

chairman of the bored 12.05.2008 10:19 PM

http://uncensoredinterview.com/vlogs...ater-Sometimes

sarramkrop 12.06.2008 03:48 AM

So excited about next Tuesday!

sarramkrop 12.06.2008 03:55 AM

I was going to write something about the whole hipster thing, which hat and beard made a brilliant comment about on another thread, but I'm too hyper from, you know, feeling hip and Burroughs.

whorefrost 12.06.2008 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uhler
and jerking off with the other hand.

Totally.

GeneticKiss 12.06.2008 01:38 PM

I've only heard two of their songs, but to me they sound like a cross between Shonen Knife (mind you I've only heard one of their songs as well) and the Shangri-Las...meh.

sarramkrop 12.07.2008 03:58 AM

give me that over guns n roses any day. you just mentioned two of my favourite bands.

whorefrost 12.07.2008 07:35 AM

We fucking drove thru to Glasgow only to discover the fucking show was sold out.

Stijn 12.07.2008 07:57 AM

<3 Where do you run to

sarramkrop 12.07.2008 08:05 AM

Quote:

We fucking drove thru to Glasgow only to discover the fucking show was sold out.

Aw sorry to hear that. I was hoping that the gig at Madame JoJo's wasn't going to be sold out too, which luckily it wasn't when I got another ticket.

uhler 12.08.2008 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeneticKiss
I've only heard two of their songs, but to me they sound like a cross between Shonen Knife (mind you I've only heard one of their songs as well) and the Shangri-Las...meh.

both those bands are great.

blunderbuss 12.08.2008 06:05 PM

Rough Trade East In-store - VIVIAN GIRLS - Tuesday 9th December, 7.00pm
http://www.roughtrade.com/site/news_...83D6kpu423F51C
FREE WRISTBAND COLLECTION 1 HOUR PRIOR TO GIG, FIRST-COME-FIRST-SERVED BASIS- ONE PER PERSON.

The Vivian Girls debut self titled album is in Rough Trades top 10 of the year, don't miss the chance to see them perform live.

The Vivian Girls drop sweet girl-group melodies into proto-shoegaze squalls the way the Jesus & Mary Chain used to and the way groups like the Aislers Set, C86s-ers the Shop Assistants, and the Manhattan Love Suicides have done with female vocalists. They keep the Shangri-Las' melodrama to boot. With echoes of Vaselines in their sound, too, Vivian Girls may just have released the best album of its type in 2008 - this eponymous debut drips with a confidence beyond the band's years, and fits no particular fashion of today.