Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

!@#$%! 06.25.2019 03:25 PM

lmfao @ PETA having seizures

Severian 06.27.2019 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!

that fucking hippy cult leader. with the dead eyes. damn damn damn... horrible. and his little snake arrow. shit...

Yeah, she’s turning into a goddamn universal character actress.

She was in The Leftovers, as another cult lady, and she’s in The Handmaid’s Tale, in ... actually, I guess that’s something of a similar deal... but all three characters are totally different somehow.

Creepy gal. Like her.

!@#$%! 06.27.2019 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
Yeah, she’s turning into a goddamn universal character actress.

She was in The Leftovers, as another cult lady, and she’s in The Handmaid’s Tale, in ... actually, I guess that’s something of a similar deal... but all three characters are totally different somehow.

Creepy gal. Like her.

wait. who??

i thought you were talking about james earl jones...

Rob Instigator 06.27.2019 08:47 AM

I love how understated James E Jones' performance is in Conan. He scared the shit out of me when I was 11 just by his stare! Now, watching it at age 46, I can see even more how awesome he was , showing so much without language.

tw2113 06.28.2019 12:39 AM

Felt like a horror night tonight:

The Exorcist 3
Carrie

LifeDistortion 06.28.2019 03:30 AM

They don't make them like this anymore. A lot of fun, good early role for Jeff Bridges, and 70's era/post Man With No Name Clint Eastwood.

demonrail666 06.28.2019 04:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tw2113
Felt like a horror night tonight:

The Exorcist 3

Such an underrated film. That moment, with the nurse, is still one of the scariest things I've ever seen.

LifeDistortion 06.30.2019 12:00 PM

tw2113 06.30.2019 11:13 PM

May or may not make it through all 3 movies for the Back To The Future trilogy tonight.

Severian 07.01.2019 08:08 AM

Quote:

wait. who??

i thought you were talking about james earl jones...

No, the goddamn... ugh... the lady from Hereditary

Severian 07.01.2019 08:10 AM

Watched IT (2017) over the weekend. Was a pretty big meh-fest, but better than the old teleplay, which has aged SUPER POORLY.

For some reason Amy Adams is not playing the adult version of Beverly in Chapter 2. Jessica Chastain is. Which leads me to believe one thing: Amy Adams was unavailable or just said no.

There’s honestly no other possibility.

!@#$%! 07.01.2019 09:13 AM

Quote:

No, the goddamn... ugh... the lady from Hereditary

but i made that comment in reply to this

Quote:

I always got a very creepy vibe from JEJ’s character in this. I haven’t seen it since I was probably about 13, but I still remember being utterly creeped out by it.

JEJ = james earl jones, thulsa doom, hippy cult leader, with the arrow snakes?

anyway lol don’t sweat it

Peterpuff 07.01.2019 01:11 PM

Quote:

Watched IT (2017) over the weekend. Was a pretty big meh-fest, but better than the old teleplay, which has aged SUPER POORLY.

Ha, I have always wanted to rewatch the televised series. I remember it really freaking me out when younger, but I could totally see it not holding up at all nowadays.

Rob Instigator 07.01.2019 01:52 PM

Tried watching Bad Times at the El Royale.

It is 2.4 hours long. I made it about 2.1 hours... so stupid. Pointless Tarantino wanna-be with NO skillz at actual plot and story. so fucking dumb. I got progressively angrier at how stupid this movie, its writer, and its director are.

It felt like they killed off Jon Hamm's character because he needed to leave this shitty movie to go film the awesome Good Omens....

Having Chris "Thor" Hemsworth play a Charles manson-esque character in full thor-bod with ripped abs and perfect body grooming, was just a FUCKING DUMB casting decision....

Severian 07.02.2019 07:35 AM

Quote:

but i made that comment in reply to this

JEJ = james earl jones, thulsa doom, hippy cult leader, with the arrow snakes?

anyway lol don’t sweat it

Oh yeah I was talking about James Earl Jones when I said that.

Severian 07.02.2019 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peterpuff
Ha, I have always wanted to rewatch the televised series. I remember it really freaking me out when younger, but I could totally see it not holding up at all nowadays.

Do it! Conquer your fear! It’s SOOO BAD!

It’s easy to understand how it would upset an 8-year-old, but... looks like a goddamn joke to me now.

demonrail666 07.02.2019 02:57 PM

48 Hours

I must've watched this a LOT when it came out cos I realised while watching it again that I could recite almost all of Eddie Murphy's lines just before he delivered them. Much to the annoyance, I'm sure, of the person I watched it with who'd never actually seen it before.

LifeDistortion 07.03.2019 08:11 PM

I enjoyed this more than Hereditary. One thing I like about Ari Aster's films is that he doesn't flinch away from the horror. Much like Hereditary there a scenes that leave you picking up your jaw.

!@#$%! 07.04.2019 05:00 PM

cbgb (2013)

the subject matter was great but the movie *as a movie* was just meh, so it adds up to okay. alan rickman was great as he usually was, but his presence marred by presentism and dumb concessions to the mainstream, like a character saying (in 1973 or 78 or whatever) that kristal should be drawn “on a pile of CDs” (im sure this didn’t refer to certificates of deposit) or patti smith singing the tune she wrote with springsteen in 1977 in her cbgb debut in 1975. time machines abound here for dramatic effect i suppose. the comic book “highlights” were a bit hammy. still, a joyful subject matter so why not.

followed by

the decline of western civilization (penelope spheeris, 1981)

no alan rickman unfortunately, but a lot better than the above movie. great little documentary really. on criterion.

Rob Instigator 07.05.2019 09:02 AM

watched this on 4th with wife. i love this film a lot more as an adult than I did when I first saw it.

HenryHill51 07.05.2019 11:11 PM

Recently seen:

"Transit" (2019)- Christian Petzold is one of the best filmmakers in the world today and this one is yet another masterpiece, fusing the encroachment of 1930's German Nationalism with the fear mongering of our current immigration status as people strive to secure travel visas and escape. It's a brilliant hall of mirrors thriller.

"Honeysuckle Rose" (1980)- Luxuriates in Willie Nelson's cosmic cowboy vibe. Don't expect much of a plot, just a look at aimless stardom and honkeytonk music. Plus Slim Pickens.

"The Last Black Man In San Francisco" (2019)- I wish someone would infuse MY city with that much lyricism and depth. And the soundtrack, wow.

"Under the Silver Lake" (2018)- I adore Mitchell's previous films, and while this very strange sunshine noir has its moments of slacker greatness, it feels like the director is playing with us, never wanting us to take anything seriously but hoping we swallow it all as the second coming of Robert Altman's "The Long Goodbye".

"His Kind of Woman" (1951)- Robert Mitchum doing his usual tough-guy routine as a degenerate gambler sent to Mexico for something sinister. Then Vincent Price shows up and this thing turns weird very quickly.

ilduclo 07.06.2019 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LifeDistortion

I enjoyed this more than Hereditary. One thing I like about Ari Aster's films is that he doesn't flinch away from the horror. Much like Hereditary there a scenes that leave you picking up your jaw.

Looking forward to that one. I’m a Nordic myself, and I thought Heredity was fantastic.

demonrail666 07.08.2019 12:54 PM

Factotum

Fairly true to Bukowski's novel. Matt Dillon is always great although a little miscast here. But he's still a far more credible 'Chinaski' than Mickey Rourke managed in Barfly.

sonic sphere 07.09.2019 09:12 AM

sonic sphere 07.10.2019 02:15 PM

sonic sphere 07.12.2019 11:18 AM

_tunic_ 07.12.2019 02:57 PM

Whiplash

and they are re-airing the Aliens movies over here once again.

!@#$%! 07.12.2019 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _tunic_

Whiplash

i saw that when it came out and really liked it

then i read the commentaries where some jazz cats were saying nononono there is no such thing, nobody plays like that anymore, this man would never be in such a position... etc.

sure, but it’s not meant to be a fucking documentary

it’s about the destructive double edge of perfectionism, and sadism in the rarefied circles of high performance, etc.

comparable perhaps to michael haneke’s the piano teacher

showed that to a prof once who told me haneke must hate music hahaha.

but see, the prof was also an ex-piano player. up and quit at some point.

i think a lot of people lose joy in the practice of an art because they have to be perfect “or else...”

i know people who abandoned the cello, or dance, or a number of things, because they could not be good enough.

so, sure, jazzcats—it’s not a real story. but if it was so potent maybe it’s just that fletcher lurks within us all.

sonic sphere 07.16.2019 03:39 PM

_tunic_ 07.19.2019 04:51 PM

such a great movie! I do wonder how the Japanese look at it....

This is a short movie (15 minutes), and I was laughing all the way through it.

very interesting how easy it is to boast about a festival that didn't even exist!
oddly enough, we had our own Fyre Festival, albeit less extreme. It was named Vestiville just a couple of weeks ago in Belgium just across the border of where I live. They had booked all those great artists mostly rap, like Cardi B. 35.000 People were lining up at the entrance and then they were told the festival would be canceled, mainly due to security reasons.

_tunic_ 07.19.2019 04:59 PM

brilliant B-movie, which becomes even better if you have just watched Alien Resurrection a couple days earlier :D

Peterpuff 07.19.2019 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _tunic_

very interesting how easy it is to boast about a festival that didn't even exist!
oddly enough, we had our own Fyre Festival, albeit less extreme. It was named Vestiville just a couple of weeks ago in Belgium just across the border of where I live. They had booked all those great artists mostly rap, like Cardi B. 35.000 People were lining up at the entrance and then they were told the festival would be canceled, mainly due to security reasons.

Did that festival procure enough water?? /ba dum tsss....

I really enjoy those Fyre Festival docs. Just amazing how that shit can really go down.

I watched Sing Street a few nights ago. Not the best thing ever, but certainly an enjoyable little charming watch. Nice little ode to 80s music and youth bands.

tw2113 07.19.2019 10:28 PM

Class of Nuke 'em High

!@#$%! 07.20.2019 10:10 AM

watching bad lieutenant—as a comedy

it works!

Severian 07.20.2019 01:09 PM

Just watched A Quiet Place. Pretty good, but not sure what the fuck with some of that stuff

tw2113 07.21.2019 06:43 PM

C.H.U.D.

Severian 07.22.2019 07:53 AM

SHAZAM!

It was OK for a comedy and decent for a super hero movie

Why it has a score of like 92% on Rotten Tomatoes I will never know, seems like nonsense

choc e-Claire 07.22.2019 04:48 PM

Quote:

SHAZAM!

My sister liked this one. Everyone's saying it's the best DC movie, but that's a pretty low bar.

Also, the actor is younger than even me in case you need a new crisis.

Severian 07.22.2019 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by choc e-Claire
My sister liked this one. Everyone's saying it's the best DC movie, but that's a pretty low bar.

Also, the actor is younger than even me in case you need a new crisis.

The main actor is like my age. But the kid is yeah. Young.

It could have been better if it leaned into its quirk in a slightly different way.

Still good but not the best DC movie because Dark Knight is technically a DC movie. It might be the second best DCEU movie (which I think is what people are talking about when they say best)

!@#$%! 07.22.2019 09:56 PM

big night (stanley tucci, 1996)

i love this little indie number from the 90s and watch it every so often. great screenplay, great cast (really great cast), and so much love of food.

followed by

bottle shock (somebody, 2008)

as a movie it’s somewhat of a cornball dipped in melted cheese, not good, but it fictionalizes the famous “judgment of paris” where california wines first beat the frenchies... and they have beaten them again and again. [see: https://web.archive.org/web/20080213...7719%2C00.html ]

alan rickman in it was fun as usual, but best part of it all was eliza dushku as tavern wench

“five by five, B.”

ps- apparently the guy who directed this also did that cbgb movie i saw the other day. i really don’t like his style. maybe rickman did. but he panders way too fucking much. maybe that’s the only way to make small indies these days: turn it into a hallmark movie