Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

!@#$%! 10.28.2019 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by choc e-Claire

oh hell

that movie was so awesome...

choc e-Claire 10.28.2019 10:49 PM

I mean, I'm getting some pretty cool stuff from Media - like this one right now:

!@#$%! 10.28.2019 11:00 PM

Quote:

I mean, I'm getting some pretty cool stuff from Media - like this one right now:

personally i think i remember i wasnt crazy about it when i saw it, but nevertheless has its place in history. all i remember was a superparanoid feeling hahahaha. saw it at the moobys when it came out. was definitely better than waking life which—yeah that one i can’t remember at all, but i was there.

tw2113 10.30.2019 12:51 AM

The forever classic: Shawshank Redemption

_tunic_ 10.30.2019 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tw2113
Groundhog Day

Again? Didn't you watch it yesterday already?

tw2113 10.30.2019 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _tunic_
Again? Didn't you watch it yesterday already?

Yeah, was exactly the same as it was last time too.

h8kurdt 11.01.2019 07:36 AM

Went to see the new Terminator t'other night. I was dreading even going tbh, however it wasn't that bad. To the point where there were some decent ideas and bits in it. That said there were some horrendous eye rolling moments. Arnie being an interior decorator for the last twenty years being the biggest one. I'm actually baffled at why that idea passed.

Anything was going to be better than the absolute abomination that was Genisys.

tw2113 11.01.2019 08:20 AM

1978 Halloween and Slumber Party Massacre 2.

LifeDistortion 11.01.2019 03:57 PM

Watched Suspiria last night, the one with Tilda Swinton. I like the original, but wouldn't say that Suspiria is non-remakeable. The new one was pretty solid, some nasty body horror in it. Body horror is always enjoyable.

Antagon 11.02.2019 11:35 AM

Mama (2013)

It was pretty bad. If it weren't for the acting chops of Jessica Chastain and those two girls (incredibly talented for child actresses), I'd have even come away thinking it was downright terrible. What little goodwill it builds up with some moody sets and skillful cinematography, it immediately ruins with cheap jump scares and some atrocious writing. And that ending just left me emotionally confused. And I don't mean that in a vague, nuanced or ambiguous way, more in a "which kind of narcotics were involved in the conception of that scene?" kind of way.

Severian 11.02.2019 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LifeDistortion
Watched Suspiria last night, the one with Tilda Swinton. I like the original, but wouldn't say that Suspiria is non-remakeable. The new one was pretty solid, some nasty body horror in it. Body horror is always enjoyable.

Original is an all-time fave of mine, new one was surprisingly striking in its own way.

The gore, though. My god.

tw2113 11.11.2019 01:12 AM

River's Edge

Erik The Viking

_tunic_ 11.11.2019 08:26 AM

These two must be amongst Trump's favourite movies:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trump
The level of intelligence, the level of work, was pretty amazing. [...] a large crew of brilliant fighters [...] blew holes into the side of the building, not wanting to go through the main door because that was booby-trapped. And there was something — it was something really amazing to see. I got to watch it [...]. And we watched it so clearly
[....]
But we had no soldier injured. And they did a lot of shooting, and they did a lot of blasting, even not going through the front door. You know, you would think you go through the door. If you're a normal person, you say, "Knock, knock. May I come in?" The fact is that they blasted their way into the house and a very heavy wall, and it took them literally seconds. By the time those things went off, they had a beautiful, big hole, and they ran in and they got everybody by surprise. Unbelievably brilliant, as fighters. I don't — I can't imagine there could be anybody better. And these, as you know, are our top operations people.

It's got everything that Trump finds amazing:
- Mexican villains
- a giant Wall between USA and Mexico
- Guns, bombs, even ultra mega big bombs
- a heroic US President
- Sofia Vergara shooting rounds and rounds and rounds of bullets from her tits and hips
- there's no golfing though, perhaps that will be included in the next sequel .... when Machete kills again, in space

Both movies are pretty stupid, but Machete Kills is stupid in a funny way :-)

tw2113 11.12.2019 12:09 AM

Bohemian Rhapsody.

Even with all the factual errors that I know exist, it's a good nostalgia trip for some eternal music.

_tunic_ 11.12.2019 10:20 AM

saw this one actually a while ago, but I don't think I ever posted about it. This ain't the ordinary stupid Van Damme movie. It's filmed as if it's (auto-)biographical and it's comical too, but in a self-reflective way. I would highly recommend it, but note that as far as I recall the language is mostly French and even some Dutch. And possibly what I liked most about it was that it is shot mostly in one place, a post office in Brussels, and since I know Brussels quite well, it doesn't happen so often that there's a movie that feels like it's shot in my neighbourhood.

I won't give out too many spoilers, but basically he plays himself, he just got out of the airport so he's tired and in a cab and urgently needs to visit the post office to get some money. Turns out that the post office is being robbed and the villains use him as a contact person to the police, so everybody thinks that he's the robber.

pacino & de niro, nothing much more to say. Just watch it

!@#$%! 11.12.2019 10:37 AM

whoa, for a moment i confused jcvd with jean claude van johnson, the tv show with... jcvd playing an intelligence operative. is it the same character? i loved the show and wanted more but the second season didn’t happen....

_tunic_ 11.12.2019 11:53 AM

I don't know the series, only found out just now that it exists while seaching for a picture. Don't think it's the same, judging from the trailer. He plays "himself", not a secret agent that is an actor as a decoy as I think the series is about.

!@#$%! 11.12.2019 11:55 AM

oh. check it out. you might like. it’s hilarious/ridiculous/sad/hilarious. great self-parody

demonrail666 11.12.2019 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _tunic_

pacino & de niro, nothing much more to say. Just watch it

I love that film to bits but part of me really wishes the Pacino-DeNiro angle wasn't there. I'm a fan of both but while I definitely think DeNiro is brilliant in it, for me Pacino's performance (although not bad in its own right) doesn't quite fit with the film's overall tone. Still a great great movie though.

LifeDistortion 11.13.2019 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
for me Pacino's performance (although not bad in its own right) doesn't quite fit with the film's overall tone.

Why would you say that?

choc e-Claire 11.15.2019 04:12 AM

Hell yeah.

!@#$%! 11.15.2019 09:41 AM

Quote:

Hell yeah.

hah! that movie is a ton of fun

classic 90s—improves on the original jane austen

tw2113 11.15.2019 10:17 AM

Makes you wonder:

1) How many 90s teen movies were reimaginings of classic stories
2) How many people realize it and would enjoy the original works after seeing movies based on them.

!@#$%! 11.15.2019 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tw2113
Makes you wonder:

1) How many 90s teen movies were reimaginings of classic stories
2) How many people realize it and would enjoy the original works after seeing movies based on them.

there is almost no better novel than “les liaisons dangereuses” for thrills

it’s been refried variously as

“dangerous liaisons” (80s? but not teen)
“valmont” (malkovich? or a different one?)
“cruel intentions” (there’s the 90s teen movie i was looking for)

& various others. such a potent story holds up to many remakes.

but the original novel! HOLY FUCK. nothing like it. it was written by a fortress designer— no joke, he worked for napoleon. the novel is kind of like a fortress in itself— very intelligently constructed, and as you approach it you will be blown away multiple times by the cannons.

highly highly highly recommended. it’s an old book, and the english translations are very good.

Rob Instigator 11.15.2019 11:59 AM

me no enjoy boring comedy of manners books...... ;)

!@#$%! 11.15.2019 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
me no enjoy boring comedy of manners books...... ;)

that’s not a comedy. it’s pure fucking butchery.

do you even lift? :D

oh you meant EMMA. kk.

thought you were talking about laclos

still not boring!

Rob Instigator 11.15.2019 12:14 PM

I hate books/movies where the only plot point is that rich white people are inconvenienced by something they can't buy their way out of.

!@#$%! 11.15.2019 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I hate books/movies where the only plot point is that rich white people are inconvenienced by something they can't buy their way out of.

Which one are you talking about???

EVOLghost 11.15.2019 12:26 PM

Oldboy

!@#$%! 11.15.2019 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EVOLghost
Oldboy

the original, yes? please say the original

EVOLghost 11.15.2019 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
the original, yes? please say the original

from 2003? Park Chan Wook?

What's the remake?

EDIT: Spike Lee remade it? I honestly thought it just happened to have the same name....

EDIT2: Looks unnecessary.

!@#$%! 11.15.2019 01:25 PM

right?

_tunic_ 11.15.2019 04:18 PM

Simply Amazing! I didn't know they had colour tv during WOI :rolleyes:
Brilliantly made documentary

Not a great movie but very entertaining with some funny moments. De Niro has actually the worst role of the family. The ladies steal the show

ilduclo 11.15.2019 05:14 PM

Colorized version, it's vignettes of the experiences of Englishmen on the trench line of WW1. As vignettes, it has no real single POV, nor an overarching theme. It's very tragic. Better done documentary was the 3 part series done called American Experience: the Great War, which provides the essential overview, background, history and follow up to the entire period. Among one of the biggest absences is the presence of any other than white Englishmen. The English "colonies" provided a lot of troops, and there is also little mention of any of the other protagonists, French, American, little is shown about the Germans until the very end. It is also overly long. As a drama, the Cieux de 14 series (French) is a lot better at illustrating the overall feeling of the war for the common troops. So, it's not all that good. Your mileage may vary.

tw2113 11.15.2019 10:40 PM

https://www.bustle.com/articles/1038...sic-literature

tw2113 11.17.2019 06:02 PM

Monsters, Inc

_tunic_ 11.23.2019 11:03 AM

I grew up with the animation series and for my entire life I thought that Wicki was a girl now it turns out that it was always a boy! :eek: :confused: :o

tw2113 11.23.2019 08:31 PM

Pulp Fiction, for the first time ever, after some implied pressure from some online friends on Twitter...they questioned my manhood

choc e-Claire 11.27.2019 12:26 AM

Hot damn. Thank you, Mr Greenwood.

tw2113 11.27.2019 12:37 AM

Sister Act, yolo