Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   The Mighty Football Thread (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=15453)

_tunic_ 06.21.2019 03:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
the Cricket World Cup.

the only sport on the entire planet that I don't understand is cricket :D
It must have something to do with culture and heritage etc
I actually was watching the scores on Teletext yesterday (it still exists over here ;) ), and I don't even understand who has won
Quote:

Netherlands 209 for 3 (O'Dowd 82*) beat Zimbabwe 205 for 8 (Taylor 71, Klaassen 2-29) by seven wickets

h8kurdt 06.21.2019 04:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
I think even in England there's a limit to how much football people can take. The intense final weeks of the Prem, followed by the all-England CL and Euro finals probably left a lot of fans burnt out and in need of a break. I know I did. Plus it coincided with the Cricket World Cup.

Honestly feel that the cricket made no difference. Think both being on sky has killed the viewership. The cricket world cup should be a massive thing in the UK but it ain't. Not by a long stretch.. Hell, the nation's league dominated the back pages more than the cricket has.

I'd love to be able to spend my days watching the cricket on TV but I ain't paying silly sky sports money to do so.

choc e-Claire 06.21.2019 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h8kurdt
I'd love to be able to spend my days watching the cricket on TV but I ain't paying silly sky sports money to do so.

It baffles me that the country that invented the second most popular sport in the world doesn't broadcast it on free to air.
Although you'd be forgiven for ignoring this World Cup, it's rather shite.

Quote:

Originally Posted by _tunic_
the only sport on the entire planet that I don't understand is cricket :D

The Netherlands are probably the best country in the world that isn't a Test nation (proper five-day cricket). Also, England have never beaten you in a T20.

_tunic_ 06.21.2019 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by choc e-Claire
The Netherlands are probably the best country in the world that isn't a Test nation (proper five-day cricket). Also, England have never beaten you in a T20.

And I have no clue what you just said :)
I am a software tester, in my lingo a T20 is a very far away milestone in the project planning :D

demonrail666 06.21.2019 06:51 AM

in my lingo it's a service robot invented by Sky-Net.

!@#$%! 06.21.2019 07:16 AM

i am lazy and i have questions. yes yes, i could google it all, but this is a forum, which is about bla bla bla.

so...

women’s world cup - what good contests coming up? dates?

prem - starts august 9 already? lol it’s a relentless schedule. anyway, any interesting transfer news?

thank you in advance.

h8kurdt 06.21.2019 03:08 PM

So both England U-21s and England cricket team collapse on the same day. Next it'll be the England women's and we'll back in the days of when England were shit at seemingly everything.
(Happily choosing to ignore Tyson Fury and Lewis Hamilton here)

choc e-Claire 06.21.2019 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h8kurdt
Next it'll be the England women's and we'll back in the days of when England were shit at seemingly everything.

Hey, if you must be shit, at least wait until you play us in the quarter-finals :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
women’s world cup - what good contests coming up? dates?

The evenly matched Round of 16 games are the later ones - Sweden v Canada (Monday) seems to be the big one. Others I'd consider watching are Australia v Norway (Saturday) and Netherlands v Japan (Tuesday).

In a week there should be a France-United States quarter final, which will be big - unfortunately I'll have to support France

!@#$%! 06.21.2019 05:17 PM

Quote:

The evenly matched Round of 16 games are the later ones - Sweden v Canada (Monday) seems to be the big one. Others I'd consider watching are Australia v Norway (Saturday) and Netherlands v Japan (Tuesday).

In a week there should be a France-United States quarter final, which will be big - unfortunately I'll have to support France

ooooh, much appreciated! i’ll try to catch some. although... turns out i’m moving this week! :D

but yeah it will be fun to have some nice games on

et vive la france! i won’t hate ya.

choc e-Claire 06.21.2019 05:55 PM

It's not that I'm sorry for not supporting the States, it's that I'm annoyed that I have to support France :D

!@#$%! 06.21.2019 06:02 PM

Quote:

It's not that I'm sorry for not supporting the States, it's that I'm annoyed that I have to support France :D

hahahahaaa

mais pourquoi?

Bertrand 06.22.2019 07:21 AM

Netherlands-Japan I'm gonna go see and stand for whoever wins it.
The Netherlands are European champions, which came as a surprise ; I haven't seen them yet. Japan are a treat to watch.
The US seem unbeatable. When it ain't Rapinoe, it's Press. Repeat that everywhere apart at the back. I'm mentioning Rapinoe for it was her introduction in the States side as a replacement four years ago that sank the French side.

Bertrand 06.22.2019 03:44 PM

Australian equalizer in the 84th against Norway in a wonderful game with very different football styles!

choc e-Claire 06.22.2019 03:48 PM

I know, I'm watching it. My first thought was that it was an awesome touch from Gielnik, but then we realised Kellond-Knight got it straight in

_tunic_ 06.22.2019 03:56 PM

Oh my god . That last chance of Norway against the pole

choc e-Claire 06.22.2019 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _tunic_
Oh my god . That last chance of Norway against the pole

I'm calling it karma for the handball that nothing happened with. But dear god, I don't know how you regular fans cope

Bertrand 06.22.2019 04:21 PM

Referee aside, it's been all hits no fillers.

choc e-Claire 06.22.2019 04:41 PM

PENALTIES!

choc e-Claire 06.22.2019 04:53 PM

Fair play Norway, you deserved the win.

Who do I wanna support now?

_tunic_ 06.22.2019 05:20 PM

Real bummer for Australia. I had hoped they would go through, but indeed Norway was the better team.

As of what team to support next: the Dutch of course ;)
Miedema is all-time top scorer in Dutch international matches with 69 goals in 77 matches, she has even beaten the guys! And she's only 22 yrs old. Van Persie is the male top scorer with 50 goals in 102 matches, and he has just retired.

Coolest part is that she was a big fan of him when she was still a kid, when he played for Feyenoord:

USA appears to be the far out favorite to win it though, at least that's what the analysts over here were saying

I was hesitant whether I would like to watch the women play football, but especially this match just now and the last Dutch match pulled me over completely. Both were excellently entertaining.