Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

Ghostchase 09.10.2010 04:12 PM

Yeah, it just doesn't do that movie justice. The movie is beautiful blend of amazing looking animation and CG... and they give it a cover that looks like its been designed by a 12 year old with photoshop.

Rob Instigator 09.10.2010 04:29 PM

the cover makes it look like a saturday morning cartoon made by korean sweatshop workers.

Ghostchase 09.10.2010 04:41 PM

Definitely. Or one those DVD purchases, when you're like "Damn this is cheap! $9.99 for this DVD whata steal!" and then you look on the back "Made in Taiwan." Fucking damn Taiwanese and their cheap knockoffs.

atsonicpark 09.10.2010 08:20 PM

MACHETE - 7/10
SPOILERS:
Solid entertainment, if a bit.. oh.. WANDERING, I guess. It was one of the most predictable film I've ever seen; I was saying lines before the characters said them, predicting all the double crosses, fates of characters, character's motivations, and exact arrivals of characters in scenes and so on. Either I'm just so used to Rodriguez's style by now, or I've just seen way too many fucking movies like this. That part where Sagal goes, "you look just like the women he likes" I said to my girlfriend, "Dead?" and he went, "DEAD." And she said, "YOU'VE SEEN THIS BEFORE, HAVEN'T YOU!?!?!" Haha. The best prediction I made was "Man, Robert DeNiro's scummy politican character is probably going to evade death until the last scene in the film." And when they put the poncho/hat on him, I said, "Watch! They're going to shoot him as he's escaping the boarder or something!" Haha. It was just so predictable, but it was fun. It helped that we were the only ones in the theater. Basically, it was good, silly fun like most of Rodriguez's films. Nothing too deep, but like all of Rodriguez's films, it's extremely well-made; you gotta respect the dude, who edits, directs, writes, does the score for, etc... for cheap!

BTW, is Michelle Rodriguez related to Robert Rodriguez in any way? I'm sure I can look that up and find out in 2 seconds but I was curious. I know he's dating Rose McGowan still, right? Anyway, I know "Rodriguez" is a fairly common last name, but hey.

Basically, an entertaining, well-made, fun little film. Didn't blow me away like some of the recent films I've seen (Scott Pilgrim) but it's about a BILLION times better than, oh, the Expendables or something.

noisereductions 09.10.2010 10:42 PM

^yeah. I'd give it at least 8/10. But yeah. Totally predictable in every way. But so much fucking fun. I loved it. I think he perfected the "Rodriguez film" with this one. Which is either good or bad. But I Had a blast. THought it was great.

atsonicpark 09.11.2010 05:56 AM

hugh hefner: once upon a time and joy division: the documentary

cool stuff

stu666 09.11.2010 08:21 AM

atsonicpark 09.11.2010 10:54 AM

^Was disappointed with that one.

goodbye dragon inn - 8/10

better off dead - 7/10

stu666 09.11.2010 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
^Was disappointed with that one.

yeah it was pretty bad but apparently not as bad as Alien Apocalypse.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 09.11.2010 11:24 AM

This was really funny, bizarre, compelling, and touching, all at the same time. I really enjoyed the way it was shot, as a concept like this could've easily been turned into something hokey, but the deadpan pacing, and well-written interactions between all of the characters really helped sell the absurdity well.

9/10

atsonicpark 09.11.2010 11:33 AM

Yeah, that movie's pretty good Joe.

viewtiful alan redux 09.11.2010 08:50 PM

6.5/10
I kept going back and forth between absoluely loving and really disliking this movie. When it worked, god dammit it worked, and when it didn't it was pretty miserable.
So many underbaked subplots. Al Pacino keeps doing this weird riff on Tony Montana, the melodrama is a little thick in places, and the music was pretty lame... but despite all this I still liked this movie.

atsonicpark 09.12.2010 01:11 AM

I'd give Heat a 9/10. It's a masterful film, it isn't afraid to take risks, it doesn't feel as contrived as most crime films from around the same era. It just blew me away, in so many ways. Also really love Thief and Manhunter by the same director.

LifeDistortion 09.12.2010 01:56 AM

Really great movie. Reminded me of early Polanski or De Palma. I love that Kon made great mature anime movies. I wonder if "Perfect Blue" was a statement on the rather rabid fandom of pop stars in Japan.

atsonicpark 09.12.2010 06:44 AM

mmm perfect blue mmmm.

loubarret 09.12.2010 08:54 AM

7,5/10
By far not so good as Chris Morris's other works(brass eye, day today, blue jam) but still a great comedy/drama about a touchy subject.

noisereductions 09.12.2010 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson

This was really funny, bizarre, compelling, and touching, all at the same time. I really enjoyed the way it was shot, as a concept like this could've easily been turned into something hokey, but the deadpan pacing, and well-written interactions between all of the characters really helped sell the absurdity well.

9/10

I thought this was excellent.

noisereductions 09.12.2010 08:56 AM

piece of shit.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 09.12.2010 01:39 PM

Nerdcore Rising

I hadn't listened to any nerdcore emcees in ages, so I decided to give this a rent. It's pretty much exactly what you'd expect from a documentary on the genre, with MC Frontalot being the star, and key focus of the film. A few artists were interviewed that I had completely forgotten about. I'll have to look 'em all up, and re-evaluate 'em again.

noisereductions 09.12.2010 03:07 PM

not bad. Not great.