Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

Rob Instigator 10.04.2010 12:32 PM

watched this again this weekend while chillin at home.
Not great but I LOVE hearing Tom Hanks' character talk to the older lady's character. They both use severely obfuscating and near-archaic language in two totally different ways. The looks she gives the Hanks character make me laugh and laugh.

chicka 10.04.2010 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Anyway, just be careful about overburning, it really can fuck up your laser..

or your toast.....

Dr. Eugene Felikson 10.04.2010 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator

Not great but I LOVE hearing Tom Hanks' character talk to the older lady's character. They both use severely obfuscating and near-archaic language in two totally different ways. The looks she gives the Hanks character make me laugh and laugh.

Yeah, i really liked the Ladykillers remake.

"Y'know they calls it hippity-hop music. BUT IT DON'T MAKE ME WANNA GO HIPPITY-HOP!"

CLASSIC.

Rob Instigator 10.04.2010 01:42 PM

funny story about ladykillers

When the movie came out, my brother was with my mom at home, bored, and he wanted to take her to a flick. He had just seen where brother art Thou (or whateer the fuck I hated that stupid boring fucking movie) and thought, Oh, Tom Hanks, this would be something mom would like.

then they go tgo the theater, and every other word out of the Wayan's character is fuck, motherfucker, pussy this, big fat ass that, and it just kept getting more and more,a nd my bro had to turn to a very uncomfortable mom and say "sorry mom" and they had to leave about 30 minutes in. ha!

noisereductions 10.04.2010 01:45 PM

The People Under The Stairs

...a favorite of mine from when I was like 12. Still love it.

viewtiful alan redux 10.04.2010 03:03 PM

5/10
Pretty generic Indie dysfunctional family comedy... Ray Romano's actually funny performance and Zooey Deschenel's gorgeouness saved it from misery.

8.5/10
The more I think about it, the more I like this movie.

evollove 10.04.2010 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by viewtiful alan redux

The more I think about it, the more I like this movie.

The more it gets hyped, the less I want to see it.

Rob Instigator 10.04.2010 03:37 PM

a movie about an ivy league fuck with no social skills...
sounds perfect for a saturday date!

viewtiful alan redux 10.04.2010 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evollove
The more it gets hyped, the less I want to see it.

The hype is ridiculous... the movie is good.

Keeping It Simple 10.04.2010 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator

It's shit when compared to the original.

finding nobody 10.04.2010 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions

Great movie! Can you believe I seen this film on BET? I swear to god.

Adam- Awesome! I'll make sure to watch that movie.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 10.04.2010 10:35 PM

Currently Untitled, 3rd....err 2nd and a half viewing. 2nd full viewing though. Your work is so lively Adam.

8/10

Dr. Eugene Felikson 10.04.2010 10:52 PM

Currently watching...

Count Mecha 10.04.2010 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions

Great movie, Everett McGill is out of control.

I'd wanted to see this ever since it came out. I kind of forgot about it eventually and then saw it on one day. I probably would've loved it as a kid. I'm a life long Looney Tunes fan so I'll watch most anything they do if given the opportunity, except those awful 90's Sylvester and Tweety Mysteries or whatever that show was.

This movie obviously a Michael Jordan vehicle, it lets you know it right from the beginning. Speaking of the beginning, it's probably the most hilarious and bombastic opening to anything ever. Little Michael Jordan just decides he's going to fly to the basket and dunk and then that crazy MJ image laden credit sequence begins with the best top billing in any movie ever.

Michael Jordan

Bugs Bunny

in...

SPACE JAM

cue awful Space Jam theme song. I do hate how the movie fucks up right away by crediting Michael above Bugs Bunny, that just doesn't happen, Bugs is a top bill character.

So yeah, the movie is awful. Any movie that bills Wayne Knight third has got to have some problems right? The lines are all hackneyed, except for Bill Murray's who is the real star of the film. Michael is an awful actor of course and he never says more than one line at a time really. "Let's Do This" "Let's Play Some Basketball" all of his lines are like that. Oddly enough the Looney Tunes don't really get enough focus in this film. Even Bugs seems to play second fiddle.

Charles Barkley has the best scene in the film though when he's had his talent stolen and he tries to play street ball. In fact, the whole subplot with the talentless NBA players is kind of funny. The Looney Tunes are woefully underutilized. First of all, they waste our time with this awful Lola Bunny character. And whenever a Looney Tune is on screen they just have the character act out their gag or say their catchphrase. Yosimite Sam just shoots his guns and Sylvester just says Sufferin' Sucatasche (I really have no idea how to spell it). Though Sylvester really is the true underrated character in the film. Every scene with him is gold.

I could talk all day about the movie but I'll just say this last bit about the basketball itself. What an awful team they put together. They don't even need Michael Jordan if you think about it. If they actually tried to put together a team with practical players, they could've been amazing. First of all, how does Gossamer NOT make your starting lineup? That guy is amazing, he would be great. Sam The Sheepdog would be great too, he's a rock, the Monstars couldn't move him if they tried. And why they didn't use Road Runner or Speedy Gonzales I have no clue. Their speed is unparalleled, which makes them impossible to defend. Whatever, they didn't need Jordan. Awful movie, but a riot too.

atsonicpark 10.05.2010 12:33 AM

thanks Joe!

ann ashtray 10.05.2010 01:20 AM

A made for TV movie.

DeadDiscoDildo 10.05.2010 02:15 AM

Just watched ENTER THE VOID.

It was ok. Nothing too special in my opinion.

atsonicpark 10.05.2010 02:29 AM

It looks pretty awful, but I don't like Noe very much to begin with. I'll d/l it soon.

demonrail666 10.05.2010 06:33 AM

I was a big fan of Irreversible (although feel no desire ever to watch it again) and quite liked I Stand Alone. I'll watch Enter the Void purely out of interest but the trailers for it do look awful.

candymoan 10.05.2010 06:52 AM

session 9
and
the house of the devil

- not too satisfied with either of them, but they were better than "sex & the city 2".. currently in a very horror mood and looking for new flicks.