Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   post comething completely irrelevant! (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=6857)

schizophrenicroom 12.27.2008 12:49 AM

30's a good number.

i have a 40 dollar target gift card i want to use up and some checks i need to cash.

the last thing i read was five or six pages of a farewell to arms then i just lay there for a while. the past few weeks have been a ferocious hunt for personal, quiet time (i failed miserably because of my family) so i'm just giving up on reading for a while until i can buy some new books and everything quiets down.

Sonic Youth 37 12.27.2008 12:52 AM

My reading list is thus:
1. Case-Book of Sherlock Holmes
2. Tales of Beetle The Bard (lame, but I'm a HP dork somewhat)
3. Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas
(Good Omens by Terry Pritchard and some other guy if I can get a copy)
4. (5.) Lord of the Ring Trilogy,

that should round out the next few months.

acousticrock87 12.27.2008 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonic Youth 37
Oh shit, those last 70 or so pages with the wife's dialogue or what the fuck ever are brutal. I stopped right before that the first week of May and didn't pick it up again until August. It took me like 4 days to read that last part. Page full of text and no convenient stopping places, forced to read whole pages at a time.

I know. I still have about half of the question-answer stuff, too, which is getting to be a bit much. Like he's trying to use every word in the English language he hasn't already. I'm not looking forward to the black pages, though, at all.

Quote:

Originally Posted by schizophrenicroom
the last thing i read was five or six pages of a farewell to arms then i just lay there for a while. the past few weeks have been a ferocious hunt for personal, quiet time (i failed miserably because of my family) so i'm just giving up on reading for a while until i can buy some new books and everything quiets down.

Haha Hemingway has that effect.

The best reading for that kind of situation, I think, is something fast-paced. Like sci-fi or something. That's easier to get lost in when life is busy.

Sonic Youth 37 12.27.2008 12:55 AM

The Hitchhiker's Guide series might be the best for that. I read all them during the most hectic/miserable time of my life thus far.

The question/answer was a lot of gibberish. I'll have to read the whole book again in a year or so and keep a log of things I don't understand and look them up.

acousticrock87 12.27.2008 12:56 AM

My list, in no particular order:

1. Beloved (Toni Morrison)
2. Absalom, Absalom (Faulkner)
3. Pattern Recognition (William Gibson)
4. 7 Plays (Sam Shepard--really looking forward to that. I read one that I had to act in.)
5. Finish fucking Ulysses sometime before I die

schizophrenicroom 12.27.2008 12:58 AM

pattern recognition is so good. it's very grey. even though a lot goes on, i found the book to be so calming.

i want to read a confederacy of dunces, the 800 pages of infinite jest i have left, and.. oh lordy. too many books.

hemingway lulls me.

i wish i could find my hitchikers books. they must have gotten lost during the move.

Sonic Youth 37 12.27.2008 01:00 AM

I really want to read the rest of Joyce's stuff, but Ulysses just about killed me and the thought of anymore Joyce turns my brain into a grayish goo.

I have a small box of packing peanuts! lulz to be had sometime in the future.

schizophrenicroom 12.27.2008 01:01 AM

dubliners- specifically the two gallants story- is enjoyable. light for the most part.

i want some bubble wrap.

Sonic Youth 37 12.27.2008 01:03 AM

Every time I go the bookstore I pick up Dubliners and put it back. I must have done it a dozen times.

I remember why I was pissed at the bookstore now....I was going to buy Franny and Zooey to read, but they didn't have any copies and they usually have like 6.

acousticrock87 12.27.2008 01:04 AM

I'm so glad to be back in my apartment. Took 3 overtime maintenance workers an hour and a half. And now, decisions decisions...

Sonic Youth 37 12.27.2008 01:05 AM

Crown with a fabric softener chaser.

acousticrock87 12.27.2008 01:06 AM

Hahaha. Exactly what I was thinking.

Sonic Youth 37 12.27.2008 01:08 AM

I think you'll have to wrap the towel around your head Lawrence of Arabia style for the full effect.

acousticrock87 12.27.2008 01:10 AM

I've actually never had Crown. The first of my Christmas money just went to it, and I had it out in the cold of my trunk while the door was getting fixed, cause I live on campus and they don't allow alcohol. It smells really good.

terriblecanyons 12.27.2008 01:11 AM

Don't you feed me lies about some idealistic future.
Your heart won't heal right if you keep tearing out the sutures.

Sonic Youth 37 12.27.2008 01:12 AM

Dry campuses are the pits. I lugged my liter bottle of the good Captain across campus in a messenger bag at about 11pm a few nights before I left. The SGA just purposed legislation to make the campus at least partially "wet", which I'm totally for.

acousticrock87 12.27.2008 01:14 AM

I'm not too worried about it. I'm 21 and they're mostly concerned about underage drinking, but I'm sure they'd tell my parents or suggest I see a councilor or some shit. But more importantly, they'd confiscate my whiskey.

terriblecanyons 12.27.2008 01:16 AM

That's fucking bullshit.

schizophrenicroom 12.27.2008 01:16 AM

having a dry night tonight is a little refreshing.

acousticrock87 12.27.2008 01:19 AM

The Crown is a little too smooth. I can tell I'm going to drink it too fast.

Dry nights are for parents and athletes. Boo.