Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

gast30 11.30.2010 09:24 AM

GENTLEMEN BRONCOS

great movie
everyone is playing with the dream of Benjamin Purvis
a naive boy who is getting hopeless
it's sad to see how his goodness is used for making books and movies, the emotional undertone
good humour of science fiction

chairman of the bored 11.30.2010 03:48 PM

Pigs and Battleships-Cool Japanese New Wave gangster hijinxy movie. It was pretty damn good! It's the first of three films in this Criterion box set I'm gonna work through.

me. 11.30.2010 04:01 PM

^ I want to watch this soon,sounds great.

atsonicpark 11.30.2010 04:16 PM

in praise of love - 9/10

noisereductions 11.30.2010 04:24 PM

Star Wars sux

atsonicpark 11.30.2010 04:37 PM

pretty much.

Am re-watching QUICK CHANGE

great film

noisereductions 11.30.2010 05:40 PM

Bell Muwway

atsonicpark 12.01.2010 03:47 AM

summer hours - 5/10

Starts out great, gets boring pretty quickly.

DanielCarlson 12.01.2010 04:06 AM

6/10

9/10

7/10

_slavo_ 12.01.2010 04:09 AM

Yes, I liked that No Hot Linking movie a lot too !!! Pretty intense, wasn't it?

DanielCarlson 12.01.2010 04:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _slavo_
Yes, I liked that No Hot Linking movie a lot too !!! Pretty intense, wasn't it?

You got that right.

It should work better now, hopefully.

atsonicpark 12.01.2010 04:39 AM

Goddamn, Seijin Suzuki is the BEST, isn't he? Glad to see someone else who is into his stuff... seeing Pistol Opera (and Pierrot Le Fou) is what inspired me to start directing films. Branded to Kill is in my top 10 films ever. He is also a huge influence on other great directors, like Takeshi Kitano and Wong-Kar Wai.

I prefer his genre deconstruction films, but his more straightforward films rule too.

My top 10 would be:

1. Branded to Kill
2. Pistol Opera
3. Kagero-Za
4. Take Aim the Police Van
5. Tokyo Drifter
6. A Tale of Sorrow and Sadness (this one might be hard to find... I think it's on cinemageddon, though... anyway, it's one of his best works.. and it's mostly about GOLF! Yet, somehow, it ends up being his most complex film)
7. Story of a Prostitute
8. Zigeunerweusen
9. Capone Cries a Lot
10. Yumeji

I think his "Taisho" Trilogy (Yumeji, Kagero-Za, and Zigeunerweusen) is probably his best work overall, though they can be probably be a bit much for most people (as they're long and slow, but trust me... they're brilliant). His films just EXPLODE with visual brilliance, manic energy, and he seems unconcerned with telling a straightforward story -- even in his more straightforward tales -- all the while keeping his camera moving, his characters talking, and piling on the brilliant sound and images that make his films feel more like a work of art. His films are highly addictive, too, I watched BRanded to Kill 3 times the week I got it! Hmm.. I still need to see Princess Raccoon, but I've seen just about everything else. Sadly, he has retired from filmmaking, citing health issues.

Just a great director, one of the best ever...

atsonicpark 12.01.2010 04:52 AM

DanielCarlson 12.01.2010 05:07 AM

I agree with you, Seijun Suzuki is up there with the very best. Branded To Kill truly is brilliant, and I seriously doubt that any of his other films top it. I haven't seen the Taisho trilogy yet, but I have it on the computer, along with A Tale of Sorrow and Sadness, Story of a Prostitute and a couple of his other movies that I haven't seen yet. Anyway, visually very few people top Suzuki. His movies are so cool and stylish.

I must check out Pistol Opera as well. That it's supposed to be a Branded to Kill sequel of sorts, and that it's quite new, has made me curious if it's good or not. But now I feel that I have to give it a chance!

And Jô Shishido is just great as well, I love their work together.

atsonicpark 12.01.2010 05:10 AM

Oh man, Pistol Opera is incredible, it's kinda like a modern remake of Branded to Kill, with a woman in the lead instead, and absolutely, positively the best use of color I've seen in a film. Some truly surreal, absurd scenes in that one -- really will destroy your brain, man. I had to watch it probably 3 times to figure out what was going on with it, but I've been addicted to it for a while now, like his other movies. It's great!

Ghostchase 12.01.2010 03:14 PM

Kurosawa.. The Untouchable

sonic sphere 12.01.2010 04:21 PM

me. 12.01.2010 05:22 PM

2/Duo by Nobuhiro Suwa,very much like to see M/Other now..

kinn 12.01.2010 08:30 PM

10/10 - The Stone Tape.

Ujene - you should watch this, it was written by the same person who wrote an early draft of Halloween 3.

atsonicpark 12.02.2010 03:26 AM

Been re-watching some godard lately.. looking for inspiration for my next projects..

HAIL MARY - 10/10

Definitely one of his best works. Maybe his most perfectly-edited and -shot film. A masterpiece.

BLACK TIGHT KILLERS - 8/10

Very Suzuki like. Amazing use of color.

BLOOD AND BLACK LACE - 8/10

Giallos are pretty much my favorite type of film -- and by far my favorite type of "horror" film -- so why did it take me so long to see this landmark giallo, which pretty much established all the trademarks of the genre, well before Argento popularized it in 1969 (this came out in 1964! Look at that screenshot above -- this is just a sampling of the exquisite, oversaturated colors that Argento would reuse in Tenebre, Suspiria, etc. to extremely striking effect)? ...well, to be honest, I didn't think too highly of Bava. While I absolutely adore Baron Blood and Bay of Blood/Twitch of the Death Nerve/the movie of 1000000 titles... and I like Hatchet for the Honeymoon just fine... I honestly didn't think too highly of Kidnapped/Rabid Dogs, Black Sabbath, 5 Dolls for an August Moon, Kill Baby Kill, Lisa and the Devil, and many of his other films -- I felt like he was an average director, for the most part, not much more. Well, this film blew me away, and I think it's time for me to re-explore some of his work, as well as check out some of his films I've long neglected (SHOCK, Whip and the Body, Girl Who Knew Too Much, as well as an un-MST3K'd Danger: Diabolik!). This film is absolutely brilliant. MASTERFUL direction. Brilliant colors. An engaging plot! That's a very high 8, mind you. This is a great film!