Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

shabbray2.0 12.21.2010 01:28 PM

a-p a. niemi 12.21.2010 01:32 PM

a-p a. niemi 12.21.2010 04:06 PM

atsonicpark 12.21.2010 04:37 PM

natural enemies - an easy 10/10. This is one of the best films I've ever seen. It's on lots of torrent sites, including CG, so get it. It's never been put out on DVD, I guess, and dont' be put off by the box art or name... this is more of a contemplative Jon Jost-ish type of cinema, not the "action movie".. well, here's a good review:

"Magazine editor Hal Holbrook, husband to a manic depressive and father to three kids who ignore him, contemplates killing himself with a rifle after first eliminating each member of his family. Technically adept, solidly performed drama is decidedly grim, occasionally insufferable, but undeniably potent--and surprisingly relevant to the times. "

...Yeah.

Amazing film, parts of it seriously made me cry.

a-p a. niemi 12.21.2010 06:50 PM

atsonicpark 12.21.2010 07:02 PM

STORY OF A JUNKIE. - 7/10

Genuiinely disturbing, since so much of it is real.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 12.22.2010 04:14 AM

Dr. Eugene Felikson 12.22.2010 04:27 AM

Ms. Leech is easily the coolest puppet in the Puppet Master franchise.

noisereductions 12.22.2010 08:35 AM

I always wanted to like the Puppet Master movies. I think they're cool looking, and I get the fun campy thing -- but I generally find them too boring to actually sit through.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 12.22.2010 10:04 AM

demonrail666 12.22.2010 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark

natural enemies - an easy 10/10. This is one of the best films I've ever seen. It's on lots of torrent sites, including CG, so get it. It's never been put out on DVD, I guess, and dont' be put off by the box art or name... this is more of a contemplative Jon Jost-ish type of cinema, not the "action movie".. well, here's a good review:

"Magazine editor Hal Holbrook, husband to a manic depressive and father to three kids who ignore him, contemplates killing himself with a rifle after first eliminating each member of his family. Technically adept, solidly performed drama is decidedly grim, occasionally insufferable, but undeniably potent--and surprisingly relevant to the times. "

...Yeah.

Amazing film, parts of it seriously made me cry.

YESSS! Brilliant film! Hal Holbrook seems totally miscast but ends up being fantastic. It's definitely one of those 'lost' movies that deserves a new audience. Good call.

keep poppin pimples 12.22.2010 11:56 AM

6.5/10

atsonicpark 12.22.2010 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
YESSS! Brilliant film! Hal Holbrook seems totally miscast but ends up being fantastic. It's definitely one of those 'lost' movies that deserves a new audience. Good call.

WOW! How have you seen this film? It's obscure as hell. It has like 24 ratings on imdb! In my case, a friend reccomended it to me on a torrent site, I downloaded it without thinking much of it, figuring it'd be decent and it ended up completely hooking me and just blowing me the fuck away. There were so many startling parts in the film, especially the looooooooooooooong discussion between the main character and the woman he meets in the train -- bathed in the red light -- and then the train starts back up right after she tells him her desires. Scenes like that just blew me the fuck away. The film really really reminded me of many of Jon Jost's works, and maybe some of Wim Wender's films, in the pacing and scenery. Definitely undeservedly obscure and forgotten.

Watched 2 films from the director of COMBAT SHOCK

no way home and life is hot in cracktown. Both were 7/10's. They definitely both had that combat shock ish vibe, though obviously way cleaner and more straightforward and a bit less interesting. He's still an extremely intelligent and interesting director, sad he'd only made 3 films in like 26 years or whatever.

TheFoxBen 12.22.2010 04:44 PM

AGAIN ! 9/10.

atsonicpark 12.22.2010 05:01 PM

re-watched one of my all time favorites

bride of frank - 10/10

a-p a. niemi 12.22.2010 05:51 PM

SuperCreep 12.22.2010 10:19 PM

9/10

needs a DVD release desperately.

atsonicpark 12.22.2010 11:51 PM

^I LOVE that movie. 3 hours long and never a dull moment. Has it really never had any kind of dvd release, anywhere?! because it's considered quite a classic in some circles.

...hmm, I guess the movie OUT1 has somehow never had a DVD release either, and that's a classic as well, one I highly reccomend if you have 7 hours to kill. Has a lot of the same cast as mother and the whore too.

SuperCreep 12.23.2010 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
^I LOVE that movie. 3 hours long and never a dull moment. Has it really never had any kind of dvd release, anywhere?! because it's considered quite a classic in some circles.

as far as i know, it isn't even available internationally, which is just a pity. i know it's a highly-regarded film, though i'm not sure why it isn't more widely-regarded compared to the best of godard, resnais, truffaut, et al. it's definitely a classic and deserves a DVD release.

SuperCreep 12.23.2010 12:58 AM

10/10