Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

atsonicpark 12.23.2010 01:29 AM

YES, the Man Who Sleeps is amazing! SuperCreep, your tastes are topnotch.

THE VERDICT - 8/10

Sidney Lumet is quickly becoming one of my all time favorite directors.

demonrail666 12.23.2010 02:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
WOW! How have you seen this film? It's obscure as hell. It has like 24 ratings on imdb! In my case, a friend reccomended it to me on a torrent site, I downloaded it without thinking much of it, figuring it'd be decent and it ended up completely hooking me and just blowing me the fuck away. There were so many startling parts in the film, especially the looooooooooooooong discussion between the main character and the woman he meets in the train -- bathed in the red light -- and then the train starts back up right after she tells him her desires. Scenes like that just blew me the fuck away. The film really really reminded me of many of Jon Jost's works, and maybe some of Wim Wender's films, in the pacing and scenery. Definitely undeservedly obscure and forgotten.

Watched 2 films from the director of COMBAT SHOCK

no way home and life is hot in cracktown. Both were 7/10's. They definitely both had that combat shock ish vibe, though obviously way cleaner and more straightforward and a bit less interesting. He's still an extremely intelligent and interesting director, sad he'd only made 3 films in like 26 years or whatever.

Yeah, Natural Enemies had a fairly wide release here on VHS. It wasn't big but it was pretty easy to find. I remember my dad renting it and wondering what the hell he was thinking of but when I watched it I thought it was amazing. It semi reminds me of something Bill Lustig might have made. It has a similar feel. I still can't believe how the director managed to get Hal Holbrook on board, although it's one of his few lead roles so i suppose it does sort of make sense. But yeah, great film. It'd definitely make a superb double bill with Combat Shock

I've not seen Crackdown but did watch No Way Home, although my only real memory of it is that it was a bit depressing - about right for a Buddy G movie, I suppose. Yeah, it's weird that he hasn't made more films. You'd think his cult status alone would justify him knocking out a low budget movie pretty regularly. He's supposedly working on what looks like some kind of portmentau thing at the moment but seems to concentrate more on TV stuff these days. A real shame.

demonrail666 12.23.2010 02:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperCreep
i'm not sure why it isn't more widely-regarded compared to the best of godard, resnais, truffaut, et al. it's definitely a classic and deserves a DVD release.

All I can think of is that there's some sort of problem with licensing Eustache's stuff. I don't think his other feature film, My Little Loves, even received a VHS release. I've never seen it at a cinema either.

alteredcourse 12.23.2010 02:55 AM

If no one had convinced me to see Inception, I'd be pretty glad that someone had taken a detective movie out of physical boundaries and into mental planes. Same thing, different level. Tons of fun.

LifeDistortion 12.23.2010 04:36 AM

I really enjoyed this movie.

nicfit 12.23.2010 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alteredcourse
If no one had convinced me to see Inception, I'd be pretty glad that someone had taken a detective movie out of physical boundaries and into mental planes. Same thing, different level. Tons of fun.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicfit
It's Ocean's Eleven for psychos.

:eek:

Keeping It Simple 12.23.2010 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LifeDistortion

I really enjoyed this movie.

The title of the movie reads almost like this Morrissey song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bk1wUKoXL20

shabbray2.0 12.23.2010 07:06 AM

I loved it!

Dr. Eugene Felikson 12.23.2010 09:50 AM

atsonicpark 12.23.2010 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
Yeah, Natural Enemies had a fairly wide release here on VHS. It wasn't big but it was pretty easy to find. I remember my dad renting it and wondering what the hell he was thinking of but when I watched it I thought it was amazing. It semi reminds me of something Bill Lustig might have made. It has a similar feel. I still can't believe how the director managed to get Hal Holbrook on board, although it's one of his few lead roles so i suppose it does sort of make sense. But yeah, great film. It'd definitely make a superb double bill with Combat Shock

THat William Lustig vibe is exactly what i look for in a film. I dunno if I ever mentioned this, but MANIAC was the first movie I ever bought on vhs, and then I got Maniac Cop 1-3! Haha. Those were my first 4 movies, all Lustig movies with "maniac" in the title (no kidding, by the end of that year, I had also bought 'Invisible Maniac" and John Waters' "Multiple Maniacs" too; something about "maniac" in the title). I ended up buying his "Relentless" and "Vigilante" too...

ANYWAY, that whole depressing, lonely vibe is exactly waht I look for in cinema, I guess I'd never thought of it before until you just mentioned that.. but films like Naked, Out of the Blue, Combat Shock, Taxi Driver, many of Kitano's films and all of Jost's films... many of Sidney Lumet's films (there's something insanely depressing about some of his films, for some reason... I think it has to do with the fact that he very rarely uses background music.. it's just so weird to not hear any background sound, it takes you out of your comfort zone in a way, since so many pictures are loaded with "atmospheric" soundtracks and so on, I never appreciated the art of silence until watching Lumet's films)... that's the kind of cinema that really makes me love movies.

the company - 5/10

the pawnbroker - 8/10

me. 12.23.2010 04:49 PM

Flame and Woman dir.Yoshishige Yoshida,all of his films never fail to blow me away.

The Earl Of Slander 12.23.2010 10:46 PM

I don't know how I've gone so long in my life without seeing this movie. Absolutely incredible.

noisereductions 12.23.2010 11:06 PM

Gremlins

a-p a. niemi 12.24.2010 09:44 AM

demonrail666 12.24.2010 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
THat William Lustig vibe is exactly what i look for in a film. I dunno if I ever mentioned this, but MANIAC was the first movie I ever bought on vhs, and then I got Maniac Cop 1-3! Haha. Those were my first 4 movies, all Lustig movies with "maniac" in the title (no kidding, by the end of that year, I had also bought 'Invisible Maniac" and John Waters' "Multiple Maniacs" too; something about "maniac" in the title). I ended up buying his "Relentless" and "Vigilante" too...

ANYWAY, that whole depressing, lonely vibe is exactly waht I look for in cinema, I guess I'd never thought of it before until you just mentioned that.. but films like Naked, Out of the Blue, Combat Shock, Taxi Driver, many of Kitano's films and all of Jost's films... many of Sidney Lumet's films (there's something insanely depressing about some of his films, for some reason... I think it has to do with the fact that he very rarely uses background music.. it's just so weird to not hear any background sound, it takes you out of your comfort zone in a way, since so many pictures are loaded with "atmospheric" soundtracks and so on, I never appreciated the art of silence until watching Lumet's films)... that's the kind of cinema that really makes me love movies.

A lot of those movies you mentioned are the very ones that got me hooked, too. Maniac was a massively important film for me. It's great you mentioned Out of the Blue, which was another biggie for me. I remember watching it on TV and being gobsmacked by it. I'll admit to finding a lot of those films quite hard to watch now, though. That depressive angle finally catching up with me. It's the more joyous filmmakers I gravitate towards now; Fellini, people like that. Filmmakers who make you love life as much as they do movies. I watched Amarcord for the first time in years last night and it was like taking an E. lol.

Have you seen any Robert Bresson? If you haven't already, try and see Au Hasard Balthazar. Godard once described it as a life changing film and it may be the one thing Godard ever said that I actually agree with. There's a very obvious depressing angle to it but underneath it there's something almost indescribably beautiful. I'm sure its final scene will remain with me forever.

atsonicpark 12.24.2010 07:35 PM

Man, I'm a huge Bresson fan! I've got most of his movies -- strangely, AU HASARD BALTHAZAR is one of the few I haven't seen. I will watch it tonight, actually, thank you. PICKPOCKET is one of my favorite films of all time.

Fellini rules so much. I watched... uhh.. YOUTH IN REVOLT the other day, haha, and nerdy Michael Cera's character picked up a Fellini film and some jock guy said "DOES THAT DVD COME WITH A TAMPON FOR YOUR PUSSY?" or something like that. I thought that was hilarious. Fellini rules. I was almost embarassed to make Currently Untitled because it was such an 8 1/2 ripoff in points (okay, okay, I was really really inspired by Fassbinder's BEWARE OF THE HOLY WHORE also). Haha.

atsonicpark 12.24.2010 07:46 PM

FREE LEECH AT CINEMAGEDDON.

PEOPLE I'VE INVITED TO CINEMAGEDDON, IF YOU DON'T HAVE PASTORAL TO DIE IN THE COUNTRY, BRIDE OF FRANK, NATURAL ENEMIES, AND OUT OF THE BLUE... DOWNLOAD THOSE MOVIES IMMEDIATELY! THEY ARE FREE TO DOWNLOAD!!!!!!!!! THEY ARE MASTERPIECES OF CINEMA!

Whoo.

Derek 12.24.2010 07:54 PM

I had to download Natural Enemies BEFORE the free leech! BACH!

atsonicpark 12.24.2010 08:00 PM

It's so good though!

atsonicpark 12.24.2010 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by me.
Flame and Woman dir.Yoshishige Yoshida,all of his films never fail to blow me away.

...whoa.

Just looked up a few of this dude's films and they look MINDBLOWING. Going to get them all, thanks.

EDIT: Oh, okay, I've seen EROS + MASSACRE before, which I loved. Definitely need some more Japanese new wave stuff.

anyway, watched

messiah of evil - 9/10

swallowtail butterfly - 9/10

and I'm going to watch deep red, a tradition I've been doing every christmas eve for 4 years now.

...btw, check out this 11 dvd set from the director of ALL ABOUT LILY CHOU CHOU.. http://www.goodtvshowdvd.com/product_449.html ... $15!