Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

a-p a. niemi 03.05.2011 08:05 AM

krastian 03.05.2011 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
I watched WILLIAM BURROUGHS: A MAN WITHIN. I liked the old doc BURROUGHS better. To be honest, this doc -- while having some interested information and some great, rare footage -- never seemed to gel into anything cohesive, it was all over the place in fact... it was very "for fans only" of course, and was loaded with little interesting tidbits and videos, but it didn't attempt to tell any kind of actual story, or try to paint an interesting, linear portrait of the man. Which was probably the point, an unconventional documentary for an unconventional artist. But, actually, as a biography, the film NAKED LUNCH is almost better to watch. Hah. No, really, I liked this, but it was just all over the place, it was like "Here, here's a section with Burroughs and guns. Okay, here's a section about his son and how unhappy his son was, and then his son dies. OKAY! NEXT SUBJECT!." Interesting stuff for the most part, but I couldn't help but feel that something was missing.

Have you ever read Literary Outlaw: The Life and Times of William S. Burroughs? It insanely details pretty much his entire life to the point of it being kind of annoying. Well worth checking out.

krastian 03.05.2011 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by a-p a. niemi

Netflix needs to get this!!

atsonicpark 03.05.2011 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krastian
Have you ever read Literary Outlaw: The Life and Times of William S. Burroughs? It insanely details pretty much his entire life to the point of it being kind of annoying. Well worth checking out.

I own just about every Burroughs book, yet I don't have this, and hadn't heard of it until I saw the documentary. I also don't own the Yage letters or any of Billy Burroughs Jr.'s book -- is any of that stuff worth checking out?

themawt71 03.05.2011 05:44 PM

Quote:

yeah they do!!

ilduclo 03.05.2011 06:11 PM

Yage Letters is essential. Wm Jr's stuff, not so

Literary Outlaw was OK, but I like Hubert Hunke Reader better

Pelle 03.05.2011 06:41 PM

Harold & Kumar 2: Escape from Guantanamo Bay

Can't wait for the 3rd one to come!

atsonicpark 03.05.2011 06:43 PM

I watched some michael jackson tour documentary on tv. He looked very sick. Can't believe how good that guitarist was, though -- she nearly played the BEAT IT solo note-for-note.

a-p a. niemi 03.06.2011 08:24 AM

Quote:

yeah + I hope that someone would release this as dvd.

just watched You See What I'm Trying to Say by Henry English.

Film (1967) on Free Jazz musician MARION BROWN, who died in October, 2010. Filmmaker Henry English's first film.

washer 03.06.2011 01:51 PM

10/10

demonrail666 03.06.2011 04:04 PM

Quote:

Billy Burroughs Jr.'s

He's excellent. I've read Kentucky Ham and Speed, both quite similar to Junky. I remember one of them, can't remember which, being really bleak. Both books are definitely worth reading.

krastian 03.06.2011 04:44 PM

Quote:

I own just about every Burroughs book, yet I don't have this, and hadn't heard of it until I saw the documentary. I also don't own the Yage letters or any of Billy Burroughs Jr.'s book -- is any of that stuff worth checking out?

I haven't read the Yage Letters, but I'd be willing to bet that it would be worth checking out. I personally really enjoy "letters" books by authors/people that I'm interested in.

There is just so much crap that I need to read that Jr's books have never really been something that I've REALLY wanted to read, so I can't really say much on that....both of his books got good reviews on Amazon though.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 03.06.2011 04:53 PM

krastian 03.06.2011 05:21 PM

^I enjoyed it.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 03.06.2011 07:49 PM

Oh yeah, me too. I'm about to put on Part 2 in a sec. It's really funny watching Lynch freak out and start swearing at people. With all the meditation he does, I'd expect him to be a bit humbler, ha. I also enjoy seeing him in a more natural state, where he's not wiggling his fingers in the air like a pretentious douche. I hate watching interviews where he is obviously trying very hard to sell his Look-at-me-I'm-so-weird gimmick.

Oh and to washer, nice choice with A Woman Under the Influence! I absolutely loved that one! That's Harmony Korine's favorite Cassavettes flick - y'know? Brilliant stuff, it really is.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 03.06.2011 08:41 PM

noisereductions 03.06.2011 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson

I've always liked this docu a lot. It's so fucking random. Fly on the wall shit. I dig it.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 03.08.2011 03:40 AM

a-p a. niemi 03.08.2011 05:08 AM

sonic sphere 03.08.2011 06:52 AM