Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

Keeping It Simple 03.08.2011 09:22 AM

The special edition of Alien 3. The extra 30 minutes of footage didn't spare the movie from being godawful. It didn't help that most of the cast were loud, foul mouthed, odious, cockney barrow-boys. The only saving grace was Sigourney Weaver, Charles Dance, Charles Dutton and Lance Henriksen.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 03.08.2011 03:38 PM

noisereductions 03.08.2011 04:01 PM

Spider is ok but kind of boring.

a-p a. niemi 03.09.2011 03:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
Spider is ok but kind of boring.

I thought so too

a-p a. niemi 03.09.2011 05:48 AM

sonic sphere 03.09.2011 05:54 AM

Rob Instigator 03.09.2011 01:13 PM

The Quantum Activist
10/10

atsonicpark 03.09.2011 05:20 PM

Just watchin' sifl and olly again. Best show ever.

stu666 03.09.2011 06:26 PM

atsonicpark 03.09.2011 11:31 PM

god I LOVE fassbinder, been catching up lately, I've only seen about 30 of his movies, rewatching some of those and trying to see the ones I haven't seen. One of the best.

jon boy 03.10.2011 01:25 AM

LifeDistortion 03.10.2011 03:32 AM

The posters for "Let Me In" are great. I think this is my favorite. I heard this was one of the few remakes/new adaptations of a movie that is just as good as the original. I've seen "Don't Let the Right One In". I've never read the novel though. After seeing both movies I'm interested in reading it.

a-p a. niemi 03.10.2011 08:22 AM

loubarret 03.10.2011 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Just watchin' sifl and olly again. Best show ever.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to atsonicpark again.....

word bro http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=638QptMja40

EVOLghost 03.10.2011 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jon boy

haha awesome movie.

SuperCreep 03.10.2011 09:22 AM

8/10

a-p a. niemi 03.10.2011 11:23 AM

Boheemi elää (Bohemian Eyes)

Documentary film on Finnish actor Matti Pellonpää. Brilliant.

Matti Pellonpää (1951−1995) is one of Finland’s best -loved film actors with a profound grasp of the essence of the medium. He was also active on stage, in music and in television and radio; he was a true life connoisseur.

Janne Kuusi has created a vivid memorial to his friend and fellow student at theatre school. In the film he meets Peltsi’s other fellow students, colleagues, friends and life partners, including Kari Väänänen, Jukka-Pekka Palo, Vesa Vierikko, Pirkko Hämäläinen, André Wilms and the two Kaurismäki brothers. The archive material forms an integral part of the narrative. The playful and creative film is worthy of its canine-gazed subject: full of emotion, smiles and melancholy.

a-p a. niemi 03.11.2011 12:27 PM

atsonicpark 03.11.2011 08:18 PM

GLENGARRY GLENN ROSS - 9/10

Doesn't get much better than this. Anything Mamet writes/directs is amazing.

...man, I REALLY don't like Ichi the Killer and never have. Keep in mind I've seen nearly all Miike films, have Miike's book, and have seen Ichi 4 times actually. I just think it's really dull, aside from the soundtrack. It just feel so soulless and lifeless, despite having some boring gore. Gore films in general usually suck, aside from, like, DEAD ALIVE and some of H.G. Lewis's stuff (especially Gore Gore Girls). The only thing I like about Ichi is Tsukamoto's character, probably. He's one creepy fucker.

Anyway, I've watched like 30 movies in the past week, I watched the LEMMY documentary which was pretty dull. I watched FREE RADICALS, a documentary on experimental films which was alright.

But the one thing I highly reccomend is HUSTLERS/HOAXERS: RICKY JAY, which is probably on cinemageddon and btjunkie and stuff. Ricky Jay is the god of card tricks. He will blow your mind.

I have been watching mainly MYSPLEEN donloads, like SALUTE YOUR SHORTS and random 2 hour blocks of SNICK and MTV form 1991 and shit. Way more interesting than any movies. Also been going back and watching all the Giuseppe films, which are midnblowing of course, he'll be remembered in 10 years as being up there with Kitano, Jost, and Packard ("Reflections of Evil" is the best film of the 00's) as the best filmmakers of our generations.

atsonicpark 03.11.2011 11:11 PM

Have I ever talked about FUNERAL PROCESSION OF ROSES? Definitely in my top 15 films ever, and probably my biggest influence in the films I directed (besides Hopper's OUT OF THE BLUE, Godard's PIERROT LE FOU, Mike Leigh's NAKED, and obviously all of Shuji Terayama's films, especially THROW AWAY YOUR BOOKS AND RALLY IN THE STREETS, and PASTORAL TO DIE IN THE COUNTRY -- all hugely inspirational, great films I highly reccomend).

While it's never been available as a "real" DVD in the u.s., bootlegs and torrents are pretty eas yto find. You might be interested to know that it was one of Kubrick's favorite films and he directed A CLOCKWORK ORANGE based on FUNERAL PROCESSION OF ROSES (which also goes under the title FUNERAL PARADE OF ROSES).

Toshio Matsumoto was just an amazing director, he also made the film SHURA, which is the bleakest film ever.. then, there is DOGURA MAGURA, which took me forever to find a copy of. And it's bleak and visually impressive. he is mainly known for his shorts, inclduing PHANTOM, which is my favorite short of all time.

Anyway, see FUNERAL PROCESSION OF ROSES asap, but only if you want your mind blown by a pretty clear-cut 10/10 film.