Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What TV are you watching (live, dvd, etc.)? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=40798)

Rob Instigator 06.11.2019 08:14 AM

the things BM shows you to fear in tech are red herrings. The actual stuff you should fear is already in place.

every single text, cell phone call, IM, DM, or even voice note you have ever created has been copied countless times during transmission, and are all stored in many places with supercomputers running algorithms on the data .

ilduclo 06.11.2019 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peterpuff

Interesting. I do not know anything of him other than BM.

charlie brooker did some excellent BBC comedy series

Newswipe
Screenwipe

ilduclo 06.11.2019 10:11 AM

Quote:

Also, has anyone here watched Handmaid's Tale? I don't recall seeing it talked about here. I watched the first few episodes and am mildly intrigued, but not certain if it is going to be up my alley. Still debating on continuing it or not.

I also watched through 4-5 episodes of Atlanta finally, and really like it so far.

it's really well done. Elizabeth Moss can act more in a silent closeup than many actors in extended sequences. It's a harrowing story, but incredibly well done

!@#$%! 06.11.2019 03:12 PM

the durrells in corfu (pbs masterpiece, on amazon)

it’s a bit silly, and it’s neither very dramatic nor very funny, but it’s lazily pleasant and gently amusing and absolutely harmless, which seems to go well with a summer postlunch coffee and a midday nap.

show was adapted from memoirs not by the famous novelist lawrence, but by his little brother gerald, a zookeeper (!).

i never managed to read the alexandria quartet, but now i’m a bit curious about it again. prose seems a bit flowery but good. which is actually good.

seems like several facts from the family’s history have been altered for tv (e.g., lawrence went to greece already married), but apparently the original cast looked like this:

im guessing leslie taking the photo, and larry’s wife in the corner? oh, wait, it’s margo in the corner! just a wild deduction. maybe an expert can help.

Peterpuff 06.11.2019 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
the things BM shows you to fear in tech are red herrings. The actual stuff you should fear is already in place.

every single text, cell phone call, IM, DM, or even voice note you have ever created has been copied countless times during transmission, and are all stored in many places with supercomputers running algorithms on the data .

Trust me, you are speaking my paranoid language. I am that oddball that still uses a flip-phone, has never owned a smart-phone, and has never done social media. I had a Myspace and LinkedIn at one time, but both were cancelled long ago and were rarely used. No lie, this board is as "social" as I get online, and even that is pretty minimal, only really ramped up the past few years. I also agree with you about the red herring part of BM and technology, but I do find it sad that many write off the show as a whole. I really do think there are some real great episodes hidden in there, while certainly still recognizing why many don't enjoy it as a whole.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilduclo
charlie brooker did some excellent BBC comedy series

Newswipe
Screenwipe

Cool, I will have to check those out.

Quote:

it's really well done. Elizabeth Moss can act more in a silent closeup than many actors in extended sequences. It's a harrowing story, but incredibly well done

Ya, I have watched a few more episodes and am starting to really get into it. And while I talked trash on Leftovers, I really did enjoy an actress in it a lot, and she is in this show as Aunt Lydia. I am enjoying seeing her acting more, and am coming to think she is quite phenomenal herself, actually. And I am already agreeing with what you say about Moss, too.

Severian 06.12.2019 08:15 AM

Quote:

Also, has anyone here watched Handmaid's Tale? I don't recall seeing it talked about here. I watched the first few episodes and am mildly intrigued, but not certain if it is going to be up my alley. Still debating on continuing it or not.

I also watched through 4-5 episodes of Atlanta finally, and really like it so far.

It’s really goddamn good.

Gets better in the second season, honestly.

Not sure if you’ve read the book, but the show goes beyond the book to draw some downright frightening parallels between the future in question and our current sociopolitical climate.

It’s ... really fucking powerful. Not perfect... few missteps... but season 2 is a hell of a thing.

Season 3 just started last week. I bought Hulu just to get at it. More episodes drop tonight. :)

Peterpuff 06.12.2019 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
Season 3 just started last week. I bought Hulu just to get at it. More episodes drop tonight. :)

Ya, that is what has started the hype and discussions back up here at work. Several fans of it here, and I have finally taken their word. Glad I have, I am quite enjoying it so far. And they are saying the same stuff, that it basically just gets better and better as it goes.

And no, I have not read the book. And I really don't know much about it at all. Going in pretty blind, but I think enjoying it more that way.

ilduclo 06.12.2019 04:54 PM

the OA series 2, now that's a mindfuck there

Severian 06.12.2019 07:35 PM

Quote:

the OA series 2, now that's a mindfuck there

When Season 1 culminated in an interpretive dance stand off, I kinda bailed and never looked back.

Rob Instigator 06.13.2019 09:31 AM

what is OA?

!@#$%! 06.13.2019 09:33 AM

Quote:

what is OA?

onanists anonymous? :D

Peterpuff 06.13.2019 12:14 PM

Quote:

Watched through the first season of OA on Netflix, due to a friend's suggestion.

I will not be friends with that person any longer...

This still holds true...

Edit: A little bit of a lie. Octopus. That was my last straw. I still hate that friend.

Rob Instigator 06.13.2019 01:24 PM

still do not know what OA refers to.

Rob Instigator 06.13.2019 02:47 PM

Last two episodes of AP Bio season 2 air tonight. Series has been cancelled. a fucking shame that something so funny and with a heart gets cancelled while the troglodytes at CBS push swill like Big Bang Theory for 12 straight years of horror.

Also, the season premiere of Baskets is tonite too....

ilduclo 06.13.2019 06:10 PM

Quote:

still do not know what OA refers to.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_OA

!@#$%! 06.13.2019 06:55 PM

Quote:

Last two episodes of AP Bio season 2 air tonight. Series has been cancelled. a fucking shame that something so funny and with a heart gets cancelled while the troglodytes at CBS push swill like Big Bang Theory for 12 straight years of horror.

Also, the season premiere of Baskets is tonite too....

shit... was that the one with dennis reynolds?

!@#$%! 06.15.2019 01:33 PM

somehow i found LONDON IRISH on amazon

not sure of people’s tastes here but i have been laffin my ass off

!@#$%! 06.17.2019 11:19 AM

i wanna know how the hell "niamh" is pronounced "neef"

paulybee are you there?

Severian 06.18.2019 07:49 AM

New season of Big Little Lies Going well so far.

demonrail666 06.18.2019 11:55 AM

Chernobyl

Can't praise this highly enough. Absolutely brilliant!

!@#$%! 06.18.2019 09:00 PM

tired, braindead, ready to pass out, this shit fits the bill

yes, elizabeth hurley’s tits are still magnificent, and then everything else is glossy talk-back trash tv. it’s ridiculous, and it knows it, and the self-parody is intentional (i’d like to think, anyway).

yes yes it’s terrible but...

choc e-Claire 06.18.2019 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
Chernobyl

Mr Greenwood (the Media teacher) was in raptures about this with us yesterday.
Mr Warke (English Language teacher) was less complimentary - of course, he's a hipster who went to Chernobyl before it was cool.*

*that was his trip over the summer holidays - he learned Ukrainian at university, and so he went on a trek to Eastern Europe and thereabouts.

demonrail666 06.18.2019 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by choc e-Claire
he's a hipster who went to Chernobyl before it was cool.

Does he glow in the dark?

h8kurdt 06.19.2019 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666

Chernobyl

Same here. Well worth checking out. I'm actually kinda surprised that it's not been mentioned already here.

pony 06.19.2019 03:20 PM

the americans season 5!!

!@#$%! 06.19.2019 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h8kurdt
Same here. Well worth checking out. I'm actually kinda surprised that it's not been mentioned already here.

it started on hbo right after GoT began

not sure who has hobo but it’s not a universal thing. me i only hire it sporadically.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pony
the americans season 5!!

luckeeee

enjoy!

!@#$%! 06.19.2019 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grimesbf
piracy? me?

unthinkable!

!@#$%! 06.19.2019 06:25 PM

!@#$%! 06.19.2019 07:48 PM

just started a glorious rewatch of TREME SEASON 1

coco robicheaux is about to summon the spirits!

Severian 06.19.2019 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!

Who dat bobot?

!@#$%! 06.19.2019 09:42 PM

Quote:

Who dat bobot?

liz hurley, in the royals, lmao

total.... gilf, at this point?

(one loses track...)

it’s truly the worst tv ever but i get to laugh and ogle

tw2113 06.19.2019 09:48 PM

Quote:

Who dat bobot?

Looks like Elizabeth Hurley to me

Severian 06.20.2019 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tw2113
Looks like Elizabeth Hurley to me

Oh, damn. My eyes must be going.

She’s one of my OH boboties.

Antagon 06.20.2019 08:11 AM

Finished Jessica Jones Season 3. It's not as tight and gripping as Season 1 but it is certainly a lot more focused and less cluttered than Season 2. Krysten Ritter's still great in the lead and the performances in general are very good. It's a bit sad that the sense of urgency of the great first season couldn't be translated to the latter two, but it was still a good watch. This is mostly thanks to Ritter really owning that role and of course the interesting supporting cast. Verdict: I enjoyed it, it was a decent ending to the whole MCU Netflix deal, even if it didn't capture lightning in a jar like the beginning of the series did.

Rob Instigator 06.20.2019 08:39 AM

BTW, Ritter was allowed t direct a few episodes! That rules.

tw2113 06.20.2019 01:49 PM

https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...erry-pratchett

!@#$%! 06.20.2019 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tw2113

oh hahaha

now i wanna see it

Peterpuff 06.28.2019 12:15 PM

Just found out Dark has had season 2 release. Looking forward to binging that this weekend. I quite enjoyed the first season.

ilduclo 07.01.2019 07:39 AM

Memories of the Alhambra. Korean video game sci fi. Just 2 eps in so far. Interesting, goofy humor...

Peterpuff 07.01.2019 01:08 PM

Finished Dark Season 2. It's getting pretty out there, but in a good way. A damn good way. Quite looking forward to where season 3 will be going.