Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

Dr. Eugene Felikson 04.03.2011 07:38 PM

Dr. Eugene Felikson 04.03.2011 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
which reminds me, are there any Japanese slasher films? Besides EVIL DEAD TRAP, I can't think of any! .

Executive Koala?

Dr. Eugene Felikson 04.04.2011 06:51 AM

SONIC GAIL 04.04.2011 08:48 AM

Drunk on locos and laughing my fucking ass off

a-p a. niemi 04.04.2011 02:27 PM

Dr. Eugene Felikson 04.04.2011 02:39 PM

Carnival of Souls (1962)

Dr. Eugene Felikson 04.04.2011 09:49 PM

It's funny how Romero gets so much credit for taking horror out of it's gothic-age, and adding a real grittiness to it, with Night of the Living Dead, when a film like Carnival of Souls came out 7 years prior. Also, what about all of the 1950's mutation flicks? They may not have the grit of NoTLD or CoS, but they certainly aren't "gothic" - arguably even less-so than either film.

Maybe it's because Carnival of Souls went unnoticed during it's original run, and Night of the Living Dead hit it big initially? Oh well, I guess it doesn't matter - seeing as they're both widely considered classics now. But Night of the Living Dead was obviously strongly influenced by Carnival of Souls for many of the traits it is so heavily praised for.

Carnival of Souls creeps the hell out of me though, which, ironically, very few films actually do. The cinematography is stunning, and obviously inspired by early German expressionist horror like Dr. Caligari and Nosferatu (I still have yet to see Vampyr). It also feels uncannily modern at times, given all the fluid camera movements.

Has anyone ever seen the atrocious 1998 remake produced by Wes Craven? What a disaster that is. Yuck!

deflinus 04.04.2011 11:42 PM

haha i thought this movie was entertaining. i didn't expect any less considering who's in it.

jon boy 04.05.2011 12:50 AM

thought it was excellent.

EVOLghost 04.05.2011 03:02 AM

kind of like inception with dream machines, sharing dreams n sttuff. pretty cool. I'd recommend it.

noisereductions 04.05.2011 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson

Has anyone ever seen the atrocious 1998 remake produced by Wes Craven? What a disaster that is. Yuck!

as you are well aware, Craven is pretty much my favorite director. Yet I've stayed almost completely away from the movies he's produced. They're usually just ... yeah. SO I skipped Carnival altogether.

SuperCreep 04.05.2011 12:02 PM

meshes of the afternoon - 9/10

EVOLghost 04.06.2011 02:08 PM

Has anyone seen Dogtooth?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFtDz...layer_embedded

atsonicpark 04.06.2011 02:35 PM

^Yeah. It was pretty average.

duck season - 7/10
paper chase - 9/10

Dr. Eugene Felikson 04.06.2011 03:15 PM

Dogtooth sucks

!@#$%! 04.06.2011 03:38 PM

Quote:

It's funny how Romero gets so much credit for taking horror out of it's gothic-age, and adding a real grittiness to it, with Night of the Living Dead, when a film like Carnival of Souls came out 7 years prior. Also, what about all of the 1950's mutation flicks? They may not have the grit of NoTLD or CoS, but they certainly aren't "gothic" - arguably even less-so than either film.

Maybe it's because Carnival of Souls went unnoticed during it's original run, and Night of the Living Dead hit it big initially? Oh well, I guess it doesn't matter - seeing as they're both widely considered classics now. But Night of the Living Dead was obviously strongly influenced by Carnival of Souls for many of the traits it is so heavily praised for.

Carnival of Souls creeps the hell out of me though, which, ironically, very few films actually do. The cinematography is stunning, and obviously inspired by early German expressionist horror like Dr. Caligari and Nosferatu (I still have yet to see Vampyr). It also feels uncannily modern at times, given all the fluid camera movements.

i don't know a lot about horror flicks or their history but the thing that got most of my attention in NoTLD was that the main character was a brother rather than the usual whitey. this is probably the only non-token black character in horror films outside of Blackula. of course at the end (surprise!!!) he gets shot by a bunch of rednecks. i find weird that nobody ever discusses this movie within its civil-rights era context. it was 1968 for fucks sakes. anyway, yeah.

tw2113 04.06.2011 03:39 PM

EVOLghost 04.06.2011 03:55 PM

oh yeah cause this like 2 weeks ago.

Dood takes drug then gets 4 digit IQ. Cool premesis but everything else was boring.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 04.06.2011 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i don't know a lot about horror flicks or their history but the thing that got most of my attention in NoTLD was that the main character was a brother rather than the usual whitey. this is probably the only non-token black character in horror films outside of Blackula. of course at the end (surprise!!!) he gets shot by a bunch of rednecks. i find weird that nobody ever discusses this movie within its civil-rights era context. it was 1968 for fucks sakes. anyway, yeah.

Ha! I just wrote an essay on this a week ago. The funny thing about it is that Romero didn't even initially plan to create that subtext. It just so happened that the best man for the part was black. His filmography is full of lucky accidents.

!@#$%! 04.06.2011 04:32 PM

Quote:

Ha! I just wrote an essay on this a week ago. The funny thing about it is that Romero didn't even initially plan to create that subtext. It just so happened that the best man for the part was black. His filmography is full of lucky accidents.

ah ha ha-- cool!

maybe the guy was the best actor but i can't believe that he wasn't aware of what he was doing once he started.

also-- hey, i just read the wikipedia article. sez he was inspired by "revolution" so i suspect this was in the back of his head even if he wasn't aware of it. all that LSD in circulation wasn't for nothing.