Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

Dr. Eugene Felikson 05.31.2011 03:51 AM

*Meh* Chete

*SPOILERS*

I'm not sure how a film with Cheech Marin getting crucified, Lindsay Lohan's bare tits, Lindsay Lohan as a nun with a gun (god, I love where her career is headed), and intestine-swingin'/window smashin' action disappointed me. I think it's my problem with all these types of exploitation-throwback flicks, they feel so forced that they miss the genuine intrigue of a cult film completely. Oh and that digital film grain makes me wanna puke... repugnant.

I'd have been much better off watching From Dusk Till Dawn, El Mariachi, Sin City, the Faculty or even Spy Kids for the zillionth time.

Not awful, but I don't think it had anywhere near as much pizazz as it promised.

atsonicpark 05.31.2011 04:10 AM

I thought Machete was pretty decent. Pretty typical Rodriguez action film, really -- nothing special. He hasn't wowed me much, ever, except for the beginning and end of Sin City (the story with the talking head, where Tarantino guest-directed, was horrible). Rodriguez is an entertaining enough director, I wonder what would happen if he ever tried to direct something with substance though.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 05.31.2011 04:23 AM

You mean like Shark Boy and Lava Girl?

stu666 05.31.2011 06:22 AM

I liked Seagal dying in Machete, you don't see that happen much!

watched this on tv yesterday

GeneticKiss 05.31.2011 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kinnikpasswordforgetter
possibly the best sci fi of the decade

Eh, I guess once you get around that it's a sci-fi horror flick that isn't really all that scary, it's OK.

atsonicpark 05.31.2011 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stu666
I liked Seagal dying in Machete, you don't see that happen much!

watched this on tv yesterday

word, this is only the 2nd movie he died in...

TRIVIA: WHO HERE CAN NAME THE FIRST MOVIE HE DIED IN

LifeDistortion 05.31.2011 09:49 PM

His character died in "Executive Decision"

keep poppin pimples 05.31.2011 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson

I think it's my problem with all these types of exploitation-throwback flicks, they feel so forced that they miss the genuine intrigue of a cult film completely.

yeah it's totally true

TheDom 06.01.2011 08:11 PM

the seventh seal - 9/10

atsonicpark 06.03.2011 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LifeDistortion
His character died in "Executive Decision"

very good! you now get rep

Dr. Eugene Felikson 06.03.2011 07:04 AM

atsonicpark 06.03.2011 08:48 AM

parting glances... featuring a gay Steve Buscemi.

and some documentary about hitler being gay and being into scat and golden showers...

Both were uhhhhh... kinda sexy, really.

alteredcourse 06.03.2011 06:18 PM

^ looks interesting ! maybe it will be my next.

Watched

Der Untergang (Downfall)

Portrays the last 2 weeks of Hitler's life. Not the best made film but compelling nonetheless.

LifeDistortion 06.03.2011 10:05 PM

Went into this expecting it to be hokey and cheesy, and it certainly has it moments of that but overall it was pretty good.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 06.03.2011 11:33 PM

I love the original Wicker Man to death. I know demonrail is also a HUGE fan... I think it's his all-time favorite actually.

It's just so genuinely eerie to me, and the rhythmic nude singing bit (Willow's Song) is among my top scenes ever.

me. 06.05.2011 04:45 PM

demonrail666 06.05.2011 04:45 PM

Dr Eugene^^Yeah, I absolutely love it. One of those films where it's a real case of, "where the fuck did that come from?". Britain's Deliverance.

The Great Silence (7/10)

I'm not a huge spaghetti western fan but I'd rank this among the best. The fact most of it's set in the snow is a nice touch, and a great Morricone score.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ml5zknAL2M

atsonicpark 06.05.2011 05:26 PM

Lessee... westerns, westerns.. I really need to check out some more. I wish there were more weird, nontraditional ones. Obviously, love Leone, love Tombstone and Unforgiven... But yeah, for me, the best ever are EL TOPO (I know, it's not "really" a western), Cutthroats 9 (violent as hell; the Unsane side project named after this movie is one of the coolest bands ever, to boot)...

Deadlock...

and I think the absolute king of westerns is ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST, which is just about the most perfect film ever..

Anyway, I haven't watched many films, as I've been watching seasons 1-7 of TALES FROM THE CRYPT, which is one of my favorite shows ever. But this morning I caught

TALK RADIO, a low 8/10.

atsonicpark 06.05.2011 05:31 PM

Also, I've watched this one about 30 times anyway (it's only 27 minutes long), but I always love showing it to new people, Giuseppe's "ESOTERICA"...

I wish he hadn't retired. This was second to last film ever., and it's easily a 10/10.

Him (who made 35 classic films, none I'd rate lower than a 7, in 10 years; TOUCH ME IN THE MORNING is in my top 10 films of all time) and Damon Packard (Reflections of Evil, Spacedisco One) and James Fotopolous (Back Against the Wall, one of the best films of all time) and Ryan Trecartin (I-BE Area, Family Finds Entertainment; this guy is the winner of a $1,000,000 reward and has said he's going to make a film that uses a lot of the $1m! Considering his films so far are pretty much no-budget affairs, this should be exciting and insane) are basically the gods of the new age of "no-budget" TRUELY independant filmmakers.

atsonicpark 06.05.2011 05:33 PM

Oh, hey Derek! Guess what I bought (inspired by your poster purchase)?

It was only $4 after shipping! Supercheap. It's 11x17.

I actually don't have many posters, I need to buy some more. So far I have: SONIC YOUTH - Goo, Polysics (3), Melt Banana, XBXRX, And You Will Know Us By the Trail of dEad, Mega Man Anniversary, Kirby, Sonic the Hedgehog, Ren and Stimpy, Shin Chan, Monk (yeah, a Monk poster!), EL TOPO, Ico, Super Metroid, Smash TV, Batman (actually, it's just the Joker), Power Rangers, and Charles Manson posters! Haha. I'll have to snap some photos sometime, it's really dark down in this basement. I also have lots of weird shit hanging up, like I have a 5 foot long StarFox 64 starfox ship I got from WalMart for free when they took the display down. I have a Diddy Kong Racing diddy airplane thing. I also have a 12 foor long (!) Mortal Kombat 4 poster that's amde of.. pleather? It kinda looks/feels like leather.
'
Oh yeah, I have a GEX: ENTER THE GECKO pleather (?) thing that is circular like a lidsticker bus is way too big to fit on a lid. A bunch of weird shit. One day I'll probably sell it all..