Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

Dr. Eugene Felikson 06.18.2011 04:06 AM

Un Chien Andalou just may be the pinnacle of what is good film. I don't think I've ever seen 15 minutes of footage define the true power of celluloid as finely as this one right here. People always jump right to the eye-cutting scene when discussing this flick, but really - there's so much more to it than that. I think that gets missed these days.

A classic with good reason, and this was my first time watching it on a non-computer monitor (thanks Netflix Wii).

And to think that THIS was made in 1929! Citizen Kane - eat your heart out.

Suzuki is incredible! I was continually wowed throughout my entire viewing. This film definitely seems to be more Leone-inspired than Branded to Kill, a lot of similar music queues and wide shots. Beautiful use of color throughout, and clever dialogue. I really dug it - maybe not as much as Branded to Kill - but I had a total blast!

LifeDistortion 06.18.2011 08:31 AM

Damn, I would rep but if it would let me. Both of those movies are ace in my opinion. Un Chien Andalou is so incredible. I'm sure its critics would dismiss it as just an art film, and it is that, but those 15 minutes of film have inspired so many filmmakers. Everyone from David Lynch to pretty much every horror film ever made. You have to consider that its a silent film, that only has its images to grab you, and it certainly does that.

to.w 06.18.2011 09:13 AM

>>> DISAPPOINTING

>>> my favourite Woody Allen so far

>>> great feminist movie!

Pelle 06.18.2011 11:46 AM

LifeDistortion 06.19.2011 12:03 AM

"Somewhere" It wants to have traces of "Lost in Translation" but doesn't quite reach that. Not a terrible movie, but neither a great one either. Sort of mediocore.

keep poppin pimples 06.19.2011 04:47 AM

demonrail666 reminded me to resume my delayed project of watching lot's of westerns.

today i watched hondo. i was expecting to like it but just found it quite dull

Dr. Eugene Felikson 06.19.2011 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LifeDistortion
Damn, I would rep but if it would let me. Both of those movies are ace in my opinion. Un Chien Andalou is so incredible. I'm sure its critics would dismiss it as just an art film, and it is that, but those 15 minutes of film have inspired so many filmmakers. Everyone from David Lynch to pretty much every horror film ever made. You have to consider that its a silent film, that only has its images to grab you, and it certainly does that.

Yeah, I think the real power of it comes in the editing. Just the way that some of those images are juxtaposed against each other creates so much energy between the two transitioning frames. I think that's what keeps it so riveting, even to this day.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 06.19.2011 07:10 AM

demonrail666 06.19.2011 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson

YES!

demonrail666 06.19.2011 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LifeDistortion
"Somewhere" It wants to have traces of "Lost in Translation" but doesn't quite reach that. Not a terrible movie, but neither a great one either. Sort of mediocore.

I agree. Not a terrible movie but by no means a particularly good one, either. I like the overall dreamlike feel that's always there in S Coppola's films but she doesn't quite manage to turn that mood into anything that interesting in Somewhere. Still better than most of what's being made at the moment, though.

Pelle 06.19.2011 09:26 AM

very funny

Dr. Eugene Felikson 06.21.2011 02:38 AM

What a turd. Sarah Michelle Gellar and Alec Baldwin have the chemistry of a vibrant rose and a rotting dead horse sizzling on the side of the road. The writing will make you want to shoot yourself in the face.

At least Sarah is a goddess! At least there's that.

fugazifan 06.21.2011 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson

Amazing film!

Pelle 06.21.2011 04:48 AM

Funny as shit!

Torn Curtain 06.22.2011 02:41 PM

Monty Python's The meaning of life.

Not their best film.

deflinus 06.22.2011 02:47 PM

Groundhog Day

LifeDistortion 06.23.2011 01:27 AM

I love a movie that basks in its absurd premise.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 06.23.2011 10:37 AM

noisereductions 06.24.2011 10:52 PM

I'm sure I havent posted in this thread in 6 months. But I felt I had to tell yall. I finally ran out of stuff. And watched Kick-Ass. And it's... really really good. Fucking wow. Yeah. I get it. So yall win. I'm in. It was fantastic. Wow.

HenryHill51 06.25.2011 02:08 AM

I happened on this site and this forum and am blown away by everyone's taste in movies. Love it! And I look forward to jumping into the discussion.