Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

Ghostchase 11.26.2011 01:59 PM

Holy crap! I loved this! And I think I like it even better than Hana-bi! :eek:

It was totally the exact opposite of what I was expecting it was going to be, with that being said.. it was just another extremely well written and shot Beat film, maybe his most experimental. The focus being on two identical Takeshis, one being the real Kitano, and identical blonde convenience store worker trying to land some auditions in one of Kitano's new films. This other Takeshi with identical appearance expect blonde hair (which suits him sooo well) works his dead end job and try his luck to land roles, but everyone is downtrodden towards him and walks all over this poor guy. As he stands in silence as people mock and verbally assault his dignity, but soon he can't take anymore, and decides to take a page out of one his favourite actor's films and show the world he won't stand by idly as the world shits all over him time and time again.

Lots of laughs to be had in this too.

I bow before Beat-sama.

krischanski 11.26.2011 05:09 PM

Ghost Dog
I don't like movies about killing people, so I more like the other movies of JJ, but this one slowly grows.

E. Noisefield 11.26.2011 07:18 PM

Limitless.

Pelle 11.26.2011 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E. Noisefield
Limitless.

Saw it recently aswell..awesome movie!:)

E. Noisefield 11.26.2011 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pelle
Saw it recently aswell..awesome movie!:)

Pretty alright. Definitely worth a viewing, though it could have gone farther with the "fantasy" neurology and psychology of it.

stu666 11.27.2011 02:39 PM

Red Sonja

+

The 'Burbs

E. Noisefield 11.27.2011 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stu666

The 'Burbs

Fucking classic.

Ghostchase 11.27.2011 04:33 PM

Chilling to Michelangelo Antonioni's Italian 1960's dramas with Monica Vitti 4 life.

noisereductions 11.27.2011 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keep poppin pimples
The burning: 5/10

I LOVE this movie.

E. Noisefield 11.28.2011 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Murmer99

10/10

Classic. Great poster too.

sonic sphere 11.29.2011 05:54 AM

Bertrand 12.03.2011 06:43 AM

Electra Glide in Blue

Beautiful; I can't understand why director JW Guercio didn't make antoher one.
Robert Blake is brilliant.
Somebody used some images here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRfVh...eature=related

tw2113 12.03.2011 04:40 PM

Schindler's List.

Not sure it's one I could watch frequently, both due to topic and length.

demonrail666 12.04.2011 10:49 AM

Quote:

haven't seen that. Where would you rank it among all films by Antonioni? (assuming you've seen them). I was just watching Red Desert last night which is great. I think it's a beautiful film with some of the most fascinating images of all time even... I also felt it lacked an engaging story overall. I was fine with the idea of Monca Vitti's character being released from the hospital and remembering her attempting to commit suicide... and the way her emotional breakdown is juxtaposed with the greyness of the factories, the poisonous gas, and all of that fog... and the scene where she's telling the story to her son in the hospital is filled with great visuals of the sea. I just feel like it has it's dull moments as well that seemed a bit pointless. Still an excellent experience.

I'm not very familiar with his work as a whole though.

I'd put L'Avventura at the very top of Antonioni's films.

I've not seen all his stuff but, of the stuff I have seen, I'd rank them:

1, L'Avventura
2. L'Eclisse
3. La Notte
4. Chronicle of a Love
5. The Red Desert
6. The Passenger
7. Zabriskie Point
8. Blow Up

sonic sphere 12.05.2011 08:51 AM

demonrail666 12.05.2011 09:07 AM

Quote:

oh yeah the passenger! I didn't know he directed that. Interesting list.. I'll have to give L'Avventura a try soon. (it's the first of a trilogy right?)

last night I saw Repulsion

I was speechless when it finished. Polanski is slowly becoming one of my favorites. The way it starts out... and how it just goes deeper and deeper into the mind of the main character. I love films that really dig into one character like that... and I wasn't really expecting it after about the first 30 something minutes. It's a very slow film. The camerawork is nothing short of impressive. Call me crazy but... doesn't this film sort of feel like a Lynch film in certain moments? ha.. just the mood it creates (I'm referring to the walls collapsing and the hands coming out of them... also, not going to give anything away but... the clock ticking!). I felt a little bit of Luis Bunuel in this one too. Highly recommend if you haven't seen it.

Yes, L'Avventura is the first part of a kind of trilogy, although it's hard to really see how the other two films (La Notte and L'Eclisse) make it such.

There's a funny little story behind the making of Repulsion. Basically, the guy who financed it was a bit of a shady type, really only interested in the horror/sexploitation market and when he saw the completed Repulsion for the first time is alleged to have said "I ordered a Mini and I got a Rolls Royce!".

demonrail666 12.05.2011 10:26 AM

The Blue Dahlia (7/10)

My first impressions of this was that it was a bit nondescript, but I've since found myself watching it over and over again. I still wouldn't call it a masterpiece but it does have a strange addictive quality to it, at least for me. It's also a good example of a film where the supporting characters are far more fascinating than the main ones. Hollywood certainly missed a trick when promoting Veronica Lake over the infinitely more enjoyable Doris Dowling - surely one of the great unsung femme fatales in movie history, while VL was just an instantly recognisable hairdo.

DanielCarlson 12.05.2011 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
I'd put L'Avventura at the very top of Antonioni's films.

I've not seen all his stuff but, of the stuff I have seen, I'd rank them:

1, L'Avventura
2. L'Eclisse
3. La Notte
4. Chronicle of a Love
5. The Red Desert
6. The Passenger
7. Zabriskie Point
8. Blow Up

Pretty good list, even if it's quite different from mine. Antonioni is one of my absolute favorite directors. His movies just have this certain feeling and mood that nothing else can touch.

1. Il deserto rosso
2. La Notte
3. L'Avventura
4. Identificazione di una Donna
5. L'Eclisse
6. Blow Up
7. Professione: reporter
8. Il Grido
9. Cronaca di un amore
10. Zabriskie Point

All those first seven movies are amazing, I really love Professione: Reporter, but the other movies are simply even better. Zabriskie Point is the only movie I've seen by him that I dislike, that one did nothing for me.

demonrail666 12.06.2011 02:07 PM

I forgot about Il Grido. Very good. Of all of them, though, I think Cronaca di un amore is his most underrated. There's something really hypnotic about it. It feels like a silent movie. I do have a soft spot for Zabriskie Point, without necessarily thinking it's very good.

Kiss Me Deadly (7/10)

I like this, but not as much as most people I know. It's all a bit too clever, made by someone who looks like they've watched too many German Expressionist and Orson Welles movies for their own good. Bits of it are undeniably brilliant but the excessive visuals eventually threaten to capsize the whole thing.

littlepriest 12.07.2011 01:49 PM

I watched The Fly yesterday, it's so fucking cool