Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

fugazifan 01.30.2012 12:04 AM

amazing
it got me way too depressed though. and i still like badlands the best out of his films that i have seen.

!@#$%! 01.30.2012 12:07 AM

on a recent kung-fu kick. my eyes say china is kicking hollywood's ass.

EVOLghost 01.30.2012 12:41 PM

I watch 2001 a space odyssey. What the fuck happened in thelast 40 mionutes of that flick???

anyways...I really enjoyed it, I'm no movie buff, but I enjoy slow movies...

LifeDistortion 01.30.2012 02:27 PM

Watched the anime "Redline" last night and liked it. I enjoy a good racing movie, in anime form, even better.

!@#$%! 01.30.2012 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EVOLghost
I watch 2001 a space odyssey. What the fuck happened in thelast 40 mionutes of that flick???

anyways...I really enjoyed it, I'm no movie buff, but I enjoy slow movies...

he went thru the portal and became a space baby. really.

in the original novel i think he detonates a nuke. cant remember if he does in the movie.

demonrail666 01.30.2012 04:03 PM

Kubrick ran out of money and created the world's first screensaver, instead

EVOLghost 01.31.2012 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
he went thru the portal and became a space baby. really.

in the original novel i think he detonates a nuke. cant remember if he does in the movie.

I'm pretty sure no explosive goes off at teh end of the movie, so I think it's only in teh novel.

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
Kubrick ran out of money and created the world's first screensaver, instead

lulz.

demonrail666 01.31.2012 01:21 PM

My Little Chickadee

I'm a big fan of Mae West and WC Fields. This isn't the greatest film of either but the only one they appeared together in. Anyway, there's a bit in it where Fields describes beating up/being beating up by 'Chicago Molly' that's honestly one of the most laugh out loud things I've ever heard/seen. I was thinking about it on the train home from work today and kept giggling to myself.

Not sure if anyone else will find it anywhere near as funny but anyway, here's the clip.

Pookie 01.31.2012 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
My Little Chickadee

I'm a big fan of Mae West and WC Fields. This isn't the greatest film of either but the only one they appeared together in. Anyway, there's a bit in it where Fields describes beating up/being beating up by 'Chicago Molly' that's honestly one of the most laugh out loud things I've ever heard/seen. I was thinking about it on the train home from work today and kept giggling to myself.

Not sure if anyone else will find it anywhere near as funny but anyway, here's the clip.

I've never been much of a Mae West fan but I love WC Fields. I agree this isn't a great film but anything with Fields in is worth a watch.

stu666 01.31.2012 06:42 PM

I use to love watching 2001: A Space Odyssey whilst on mushrooms/tripping. absolutely amazing.

gmku 01.31.2012 06:43 PM

I'm not a prolific movie watcher anymore, although I still love movies. My most recent was Tinker Tailor Solider Spy. Sure, mainstream and all that. But I love it. Great movie! \\ GF and I have been glued to Netflix of late running through all the seasons of Mad Men. I can't get enough of that show.

demonrail666 01.31.2012 10:08 PM

I've been watching a lot of Howard Hawks films recently

Only Angels Have Wings

One of those quietly brilliant films that does nothing to advertise its greatness but it just dawns on you, about two thirds in that it's a real masterpiece. Cary Grant and Howard Hawks has to be one of the great Hollywood star-director match ups, easily up there with John Ford and John Wayne and Frank Capra and Jimmy Stewart.

Bringing Up Baby

Another Howard Hawks-Cary Grant team up (with a never better Katharine Herpburn) and one of my fave comedies ever. Anyone who's alsdo seen it would surely agree that it's one of those films that's so confident in itself. Just 90 minutes of really talented people enjoying themselves.

Another Hawks but without Cary Grant. I flip flop over whether I prefer this or John Carpenter's remake. My head says Carpenter but my heart says Hawks. Scientists and aliens were just better in the 50s.

demonrail666 02.01.2012 08:18 AM

If you like Billy Wilder's style of dialogue, you should definitely like Bringing Up Baby or another screwball comedy he made, His Girl Friday (both of which have some of the fastest talking you'll ever hear). The problem some people have with his films is that, unlike say Hitchcock or Ford, they tend to be very different from one another, spanning across almost every genre imaginable. You can't go wrong with his comedies, though. Saying that, everyone should watch Only Angels Have Wings. The perfect Sunday afternoon film.

The Godard thing is weird in that none of his films are (from what I can see) even remotely similar to Hawks - maybe Pierrot Le Fou. But two filmmakers who I know are massive fans, and for whom the Hawks influence is far more evident in their actual work, are John Carpenter (Assault on Precinct 13 (a 're-imagining' of Rio Bravo)) and The Thing, obviously) and Steven Spielberg (Jaws). A lot of the fast talking female-centric comedies of the 80s (Working Girls, etc) also have a definite Hawks feel to them. If Reese Witherspoon was around in the 30s and 40s, she'd have definitely been a Hawks fave.

If I was gonna start exploring his work, I'd start with Bringing Up Baby, His Girl Friday, Rio Bravo and Only Angels Have Wings.

sonic sphere 02.01.2012 08:38 AM

Genteel Death 02.01.2012 04:08 PM

fugazifan 02.03.2012 09:54 AM

Bad Timing is such a weird and wonderful film. In general Nicholas Roeg is a strange director.

Ghostchase 02.03.2012 02:54 PM

Shot in black and white, a story of a group of homeless living in the dark recesses of the New York subway. Add music by DJ Shadow and UNKLE, I was loving it before I even pressed play.

&

Maybe I'm a sucker for soothing and "boring" films that don't really go anywhere, but I loved both of these Kelly Reichardt films, I guess as more and more people become accustomed to meaningless tripe that Hollywood markets to them, there lies the lost art of making a film about nothing particular, just chemistry between actors and meaningful dialogue exchanges.

keep poppin pimples 02.03.2012 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Murmer99
cool post demonrail. In fact, I've been meaning to dig into some of howard hawks' films... I'm not familiar with his work unfortunately. I'm definitely drawn to film in general from the 40s, 50s, 60s and so on. some that I'm a fan of are Billy Wilder, Ed Wood, Hitchock, Lumet... hawks particularly caught my attention when I heard somewhere that jean luc godard considered hawks to be one of his inspirations. I found that strange for some reason. As for scientists and aliens in the 50s... a lot of those films wouldn't be made today without the perpetual explosions and effects in the way of them. I'll look into some of those films you posted.

if you get into hawks make sure to check out rio lobo, everybody seems to think that movie sucks but i really liked it

demonrail666 02.04.2012 06:10 AM

Rio Lobo is one I've not seen. I've tended to put Hawks' Westerns to one side (despite really liking Rio Bravo) because I tend to think his style never really fit with the genre. It has a quite jazzy snap to it (especially his comedies) that seems to work better in more urbane, sophisticated settings, rather than the more romantic, rough and ready rural setting of the Western - although that can't be said of a film like Only Angels Have Wings (a sort of Western with airplanes) which may well be my favourite Hawks film of them all. I'll definitely put Rio Lobo on my 'to see' list.

ann ashtray 02.04.2012 06:33 AM

Black Swan. It was kind of whatever. Much preferred The Wrestler.