Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

ilduclo 06.27.2012 02:11 PM

date night with ms ild, we is going to Moonrise Kingdom......

ratings later

Dr. Eugene Felikson 06.30.2012 02:16 AM

Very fun, and creepy character study/thriller. David Hyde Pierce's performance is immaculate. I had no clue his acting chops were so sturdy. The writing does crumble a bit in the third act, however, which is a shame. But the buildup is strong, and even genuinely unnerving at times. A great "the less you know the better" type of film. Overall, I think it is most definitely worth a watch on Netflix, especially if you're as big of a Frasier fan as I am.

louder 06.30.2012 02:48 PM

Prometheus.

well, what can i say. Ridley Scott is a genius.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 06.30.2012 05:22 PM

^ :D

Really glad to hear that you enjoyed it.

dale_gribble 06.30.2012 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evollove
Prometheus- So confusing, but maybe because I watched a crappy cam version (which, by the way, still made the film look impressive. Kudos to the art department, cinematographer, special effects crew). I didn't get it at all. I mean, who was the dude at the beginning who crumbles to death? It just got more bewildering after that. And a woman scientist? Please!

that dude in the beginning was prometheus the titan, he destroyed himself to eventually create humans and that is why the other guys want to destroy the humans. essentially that aspect of the plot is ridley scott's take on the greek myth regarding prometheus and the creation of man.

sonic sphere 07.01.2012 05:48 AM

EVOLghost 07.01.2012 10:25 AM

I love Jackie chan.

dale_gribble 07.01.2012 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EVOLghost

I love Jackie chan.

soo yung! btw the fist one is clearly better

Pookie 07.01.2012 05:23 PM

Before tonight I hadn't watched this since it first came out on video (1995ish?).
I was surprised how much I liked it.

Earlier I went to see this at the cinema:

keep poppin pimples 07.01.2012 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonic sphere

one of the best...

louder 07.06.2012 09:14 AM

EVOLghost 07.06.2012 09:25 AM

I watch that one movie, with that one dood from that movie Driver or somethin', where his gf is a doll....

It was pretty boring.

Ghostchase 07.06.2012 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonic sphere

They have this for rent at my University library. From the cover it looks like something I'd like.

2 years ago at my last job my boss (he has pretty good taste, he's a Deadhead) and I were discussing my love for Juliette Lewis and he asked if I had seen Kalifornia, and I hadn't so he told me to watch it. I watched it a couple weeks later, I instantly fell in love with, and just now rewatched it. He never told me David Duchovny was in it! Growing up in to 90's watching X-Files, and I had mad manlove for David, still do! So that there is a one two punch. Seems like a solid film forgotten in the waste of the 90's. Duchovny's opposite played by Michelle Forbes, seals the film as a untouchable combination of skill along side Pitt and Lewis. Pitt is one the few mainstream actors that can always cook up a great character and breathe life into them, and his white trash tailerpark trash is one best white trash tailerpark trash characters in the history of film. Lots of laughs and great dialogue between, my love, Juliette Lewis. Not such mind bending plot and anything to outlandish but its delivery is fresh, with it coming from the stellar cast makes for a really great film.

sonic sphere 07.08.2012 11:47 AM

Savage Clone 07.08.2012 08:46 PM

Beyond The Black Rainbow.

HIGHEST recommendation.
I saw it at a tiny 30-seat specialty theater here in town, and it was easily the best newer movie I have seen in about five years. Totally perfectly stylized genre-fuck amazement. Equal parts Altered States, Kenneth Anger, Clockwork Orange and Unarius, with a great Goblin/Tangerine Dream worshipping soundtrack. See it. See it now.

demonrail666 07.09.2012 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Beyond The Black Rainbow.

HIGHEST recommendation.
I saw it at a tiny 30-seat specialty theater here in town, and it was easily the best newer movie I have seen in about five years. Totally perfectly stylized genre-fuck amazement. Equal parts Altered States, Kenneth Anger, Clockwork Orange and Unarius, with a great Goblin/Tangerine Dream worshipping soundtrack. See it. See it now.

Wow, never heard of that one but your description of it presses all manner of buttons for me. Definitely one for my must see list. Awesome.

demonrail666 07.09.2012 12:25 AM

I just read a review saying it should be "avoided like the plague". I'm even more desperate to see it now.

dale_gribble 07.09.2012 01:09 PM

machine gun kelly, and savages. both good, pleasantly surprised by savages; esp benicio del toro's performance.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 07.10.2012 12:00 AM

Genteel Death 07.10.2012 02:15 AM