Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   disappointing bands (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=21932)

pbradley 05.21.2008 09:14 PM

The dissappointing thing about them is that they don't exist.

But somehow they already have three songs on myspace and are signed to a major label.

dionysusundone 05.21.2008 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HECKLER SPRAY
Yeah, me too.
All these new new New-Wave bands are really boring.
Always the same sounds, rythms, bass lines, way of singing...

Yeah fucking THIS for sure. I mean, the exciting thing about those old bands was that most of them sounded completely different.
And y'know, same goes for the 'post-punk' revival. Too many ripping off Joy Division (badly) not enough ripping off PiL or Killing Joke orTubeway Army or or or...

SuperCreep 05.21.2008 10:13 PM

A few major ones off the top of my head:

Depeche Mode:

I don't hate these guys as much as I used to, but they're still somewhat disappointing. Somone recommended them to me about two years ago since I was heavily into The Cure at the time, and yeah, this just wasn't doing it. Again, I don't hate them as much as I used to. I can enjoy the odd single from them every now and then.

Dead Can Dance:

Thought they'd be similar to the Cocteau Twins. Some of their stuff is sonically impressive, but overall it's just way too bombastic sounding for my liking.

Animal Collective:

Rob put this one perfectly. They're pretty interesting when they can get their shit together, but too much filler keeps me away from listening to a full album of theirs. I still like Spirit They're Gone, Spirit They've Vanished, though it's technically credited to Avey Tare & Panda Bear.

Refused:

I was quite excited to get The Shape of Punk to Come since my friend loves it (I usually trust his taste) and I thought the Ornette Coleman reference was neat. Immense disappointment. I'm not sure what the big deal about this band is. They just sound like a watered-down Fugazi with a shitty vocalist.

✌➬ 05.21.2008 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krastian
The first band that comes to mind is Battles......I couldn't even get through the third song.

I have to agree with that. That voice is like fingernails on the chalkboard.

atsonicpark 05.22.2008 11:21 AM

Huh.

Refused are awesome.

'New Noise' is one of the best songs ever.

Green Magnesium 05.22.2008 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperCreep
A few major ones off the top of my head:

Dead Can Dance:

Thought they'd be similar to the Cocteau Twins. Some of their stuff is sonically impressive, but overall it's just way too bombastic sounding for my liking.

DCD have a few good songs... but they're the scum on the bottom of Cocteau Twins' shiny leather boot imo.

Another band I just thought of is The Decemberists. A friend of mine who shares a relatively similar taste in music was/is OBSESSED with them. He even got this big ugly tattoo of a squid on his upper right arm that represents the band or something. I figured they were worth a shot if he was so in love with them. I listened to two of their albums. There was one song that I liked quite a bit actually. It was the only song out of both albums that I liked at all in fact.

Rob Instigator 05.22.2008 01:19 PM

the only squid I like is on They Might Bee Giants APOLLO 18

Green Magnesium 05.22.2008 01:25 PM

Tattoo it on yourself!!!

greedrex 05.22.2008 01:33 PM

BURIAL
what is the fuss all about?
i don't get it

atsonicpark 05.22.2008 02:16 PM

burial has a fuss? :(

Trasher02 05.22.2008 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green Magnesium
A few recent dissapointments...

Joanna Newsom
Animal Collective
Vampire Weekend
Deerhoof

Duuuuuude, highly uncool.

Rob Instigator 05.22.2008 02:38 PM

How can anyone be disappointed in Joanna Newsom? It's obvious that it was gonna be boring fucking SUCK

✌➬ 05.22.2008 03:53 PM

Joanna Newsom

Oh god another musician that is acid to my ears.

Green Magnesium 05.22.2008 03:57 PM

I had no idea who she was going in... I had just heard good things about her. I don't even think her music is boring so much as I think it's forced and unlistenable.

✌➬ 05.22.2008 03:58 PM

Her voice, ugh.

Rob Instigator 05.22.2008 04:04 PM

long live the harp hippies I guess

atsonicpark 05.22.2008 04:40 PM

joanna newsom is actually highly talented and makes good music, but it's not something i'd want to put on all the time. it's got its moments, it's not AWFUL, it's just not something worth extended/repeated plays.

Green Magnesium 05.22.2008 04:48 PM

I never said her music was AWFUL. Just unlistenable :)

I'm sure she plays the harp just fine.

atsonicpark 05.22.2008 04:59 PM

Didn't say you said that. Just sayin'.

✌➬ 05.22.2008 07:22 PM

I still think she sucks. But what do I know. I don't listen to what the cool kids listen to.