Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

Dr Chocolate 09.01.2012 01:44 AM

Empire Strikes Back on tv
not like i watch watched it for the 1000th time again

demonrail666 09.01.2012 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LimitlessLovingCasper
Yooo
gotta check this out!
Herman Hesse is involved!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQ8xjVASGX8

Wow! Not much of a herman Hesse fan but I never knew Steppenwolf even existed as a film. It looks great.

LimitlessLovingCasper 09.01.2012 04:30 AM

---

demonrail666 09.02.2012 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Murmer99

Luckily found a theatre that was actually playing this. I loved it.

I'm intrigued by that film, less because it's by Cronenberg but because I really like the novel it's based on.

!@#$%! 09.02.2012 08:50 AM

this was fun

demonrail666 09.02.2012 09:12 AM

Quote:

Paul Giamatti is also quite good in this film.

I didn't know he was in it. I'm a big fan so that's another reason to see it.

Pookie 09.02.2012 10:29 AM

Not one of the team's best:

Hip Priest 09.02.2012 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pookie
Not one of the team's best:

Carry on at Your Convenience is by far the best, and might be the last film we watched, for the XXXth time.

E. Noisefield 09.02.2012 12:33 PM

And it was fucking great. I can't believe it took me so long to notice this movie. It might have had something to do with the ultra lame US poster:

LimitlessLovingCasper 09.02.2012 05:52 PM

http://vimeo.com/15985546

demonrail666 09.02.2012 05:59 PM

Marie Antoinette

On a bit of a Sofia Coppola kick at the moment. This is an easy film to dislike. It definitely tries a bit too hard to tick as many 'cool' boxes as possible but I liked it nonetheless, even if it really doesn't amount to much more than a two hour music video.

!@#$%! 09.02.2012 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E. Noisefield

And it was fucking great. I can't believe it took me so long to notice this movie. It might have had something to do with the ultra lame US poster:

oh yeah! i saw that the other day. pretty fucking great. otherwordly atmosphere. totally unexpected find for me as well. the 80s style credits didn't help either.

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666

On a bit of a Sofia Coppola kick at the moment. This is an easy film to dislike. It definitely tries a bit too hard to tick as many 'cool' boxes as possible but I liked it nonetheless, even if it really doesn't amount to much more than a two hour music video.

i love sofia but that movie was utter shit. i wanted to be her boyfriend so i could console her on that disaster. an atrocity.

dale_gribble 09.02.2012 10:47 PM

drive wasn't horrible, but it could have been 20 minutes long. so many scenes where absolutely NOTHING happened.

demonrail666 09.02.2012 11:00 PM

^el symbols^ Yeah, you're probably right. I have a really tough time disliking films by directors I'm generally a big fan of. Although I did wonder when watching it last night if I'd even bother to sit through it if she hadn't made it. And the answer is probably no. And speaking of boyfriends, I think she was going out with Tarantino at the time she made it, so we can at least console ourselves by blaming him. Obviously, had she gone out with me it would've been a masterpiece.

evollove 09.03.2012 06:39 AM

Quote:

Luckily found a theatre that was actually playing this. I loved it.

DEAR WORLD, FUCK CRONENBERG!

1- It's one of Delillo's best novels. Why wouldn't you want to read one of Delillo's best novels?

2- It's a short novel. Are you too stupid to read 200 pages?

3- Wouldn't you rather create a rich film-like thing in your head, rather than turning off your imagination and relying on Cronenberg's brain?

4- Cronenberg gets good source material, hires talented people, and then sits back and collects the accolades. What a tit.

5- Delillo is an artist. Cronenberg is a profit-maker.

READ THE BOOK!

demonrail666 09.03.2012 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evollove
1- It's one of Delillo's best novels. Why wouldn't you want to read one of Delillo's best novels?

I agree with the first part but what's stopping people reading the book once they've found out about it via the film? I'm sure Delillo will sell more copies now that Cronenberg has adapted it.

!@#$%! 09.03.2012 08:33 AM

Quote:

DEAR WORLD, FUCK CRONENBERG!

i very much would, but he's a bit flat-chested and probably hairy.

Quote:

5- Delillo is an artist. Cronenberg is a profit-maker.

both are artists. you're an message board critic who thinks destitution confers some sort of moral superiority. :P

Quote:

READ THE BOOK!

sure! delillo is awesome. i'm glad he's paired up with cronenberg. i can't think of a better director to adapt his books.

i wanna go seeeeee itttttttttt!!!!!!!!! not showing anywhere here. agghhhh.

------

also, saw this yesterday:

awesome! way funnier than i expected. a pleasant surprise.

demonrail666 09.03.2012 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
I can't think of a better director to adapt his books.

Now that Kubrick's dead, I agree.

demonrail666 09.03.2012 09:24 AM

If Cronenberg really was only about the money he'd choose a far more bankable novelist to adapt than Delillo.

evollove 09.03.2012 10:26 AM

He's created a niche for himself in the marketplace, Cronenberg has.

He and his producers can roughly figure out how many people will see a particular film, budged accordingly, and take home a fat check at the end of the day. It doesn't matter if it will only be a few mil for Spider or more for existenz. Profit is profit.

Delillo follows his muse, even when he doesn't fully understand it himself. He's a poet on a journey, a true artist for our time, a voice piecing sense from wilderness, and does not consider money when putting sentences together.

Let me put it this way: Delillo would exist without Cronenberg; Cronenberg wouldn't exist without Delillo. (Or Ballard. Or Burroughs. etc.)

(I'm just fucking with you all. existenz was a great movie, Delillo's FALLING MAN sucked shit.)

But seriously, read COSMOPOLIS.