Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What TV are you watching (live, dvd, etc.)? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=40798)

!@#$%! 08.29.2020 01:06 PM

te gusta la caca? :D

!@#$%! 09.05.2020 02:02 PM

so, star trek discovery’s first 2 seasons were pretty fucking great

now catching up with picard, which seems nice and old-man mellow

_slavo_ 09.06.2020 05:24 AM

some good Netflix recommendations, y'all?

I have an afternoon to kill.

Severian 09.06.2020 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _slavo_
some good Netflix recommendations, y'all?

I have an afternoon to kill.

I can’t remember the last time I watched a Netflix original that really sucked me in. Maybe Living With Yourself? That’s pretty weird and addictive.

Or the obvious ones like Ozark and Mindhunter

!@#$%! 09.06.2020 09:31 AM

netflix originals? in retrospect, my faves (looking at a list)... house of cards (till they killed it), marco polo (made by more perps), the witcher, russian doll, night on earth (nature documentary).

have not seen ozark or mindhunter, but maybe some day (currently off subscription while doing cbs & other channels)

btw, speaking of star trek, 7 of 9 has aged like a fiiiiiiiiine wine...

_tunic_ 09.06.2020 10:24 AM

Was Happy! a Netflix original? The first season was very cool

afternoon is already over but yeah maybe for the next opportunity

_slavo_ 09.07.2020 02:40 AM

Ozark was brilliant.

I haven't seen Mindhunter yet but I will definitely give it a try, thanks for recommendation!

Severian 09.07.2020 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _slavo_
Ozark was brilliant.

I haven't seen Mindhunter yet but I will definitely give it a try, thanks for recommendation!

Yeah, it’s good. Ozark and Mindhunter are probably the two most well-crafted dramas NF has put out. Hope there’s a third season of Mindhunter, but I guess there’s a chance there won’t be.

!@#$%! 09.07.2020 06:27 PM

watching a bit of bloomberg getting ready for tomorrow.

pretty addictive channel it is...

!@#$%! 09.08.2020 02:48 PM

a bit of a gulity pleasure, but i started watching “the good fight” on cbs. it’s yet another mainstream lawyer show, but it provides decent chuckles without demanding great commitments on the part of the viewer. good lunchtime soap opera, that sort of thing, plus jokes.

Rob Instigator 09.09.2020 09:24 AM

been watching Mindhunter with wife.

!@#$%! 09.16.2020 10:58 AM

finished the month’s cbs subscription. will not renew for now but they do carry the champions league so maybe at some point in the future.

now debating who to hire for next month: shudder channel on amazon, another bout of netflix (doubtful), hulu (haven’t had it), hbo again (too soon maybe), something else i haven’t considered...

choc e-Claire 09.23.2020 05:46 AM

Finally conceding to weebery and watching the first episode of Serial Experiments Lain. Certainly messed me up a little.

_tunic_ 10.30.2020 09:21 AM

I love this YT video!! Selective Attention Test

But also:
can anyone recommend me their favourite Mystery Science Theater 3000 episode? Many of them are on YT

Severian 10.30.2020 06:24 PM

I watched all of WEEDS, and I got addicted to it, and now it’s over and I’m sad :(

!@#$%! 10.30.2020 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
I watched all of WEEDS, and I got addicted to it, and now it’s over and I’m sad :(

i liked the first 2 or 3 seasons, then the show turned into a cartoon and i watched for non-plot reasons like this...

but character-wise, really, wtf happened. so many sharks were jumped.

Antagon 10.30.2020 07:40 PM

Rewatching Marvel's Daredevil Season 1. Such a compelling piece of television. Realizing so many things that were set up or hinted at early on now. The first season was really tightly scripted and tense af. I remember thinking the second one was a bit of a letdown until it returned to form in the third and last season. Maybe time will be a bit more kind to the sophomore outing. But I doubt it.

tw2113 10.30.2020 10:20 PM

Quote:

But weed isn't addicting :trollface:

Severian 10.31.2020 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i liked the first 2 or 3 seasons, then the show turned into a cartoon and i watched for non-plot reasons like this...

but character-wise, really, wtf happened. so many sharks were jumped.

Yeah, it really was just a comfy show. I’m not sure I even liked it as a show, it was just easy to fall into. I loved Andy, too. Great character.

Yes it turned into a cartoon.

Yes it dropped many plot points. Like WTF happens to Celia! She was THE secondary protagonist for 3-4 seasons, then poof: gone. Never seen again, not even in the ridiculous flash-forward finale.

Great closing shot though.

!@#$%! 10.31.2020 02:46 PM

hahaha andy, yeah. he kept it entertaining.

and celia, indeed, was the first cartoon. in retrospect she could have grown into a parallel adversary, but they wasted that option with some useless clowning—she gets a puffy face or is eaten by ants or some other such shit i can’t remember.

anyway i’ve been watching the final 3 seasons of homeland which i had to catch up with.

it’s been a decades-long cycle with claire danes, see...

then:

now:

lolololololo

Severian 10.31.2020 08:28 PM

Quote:

hahaha andy, yeah. he kept it entertaining.

and celia, indeed, was the first cartoon. in retrospect she could have grown into a parallel adversary, but they wasted that option with some useless clowning—she gets a puffy face or is eaten by ants or some other such shit i can’t remember.

anyway i’ve been watching the final 3 seasons of homeland which i had to catch up with.

it’s been a decades-long cycle with claire danes, see...

then:

now:

lolololololo

Lmao!
I’ve never seen one second of homeland

!@#$%! 10.31.2020 09:17 PM

Quote:

Lmao!
I’ve never seen one second of homeland

oh man you should

Rob Instigator 11.02.2020 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antagon
Rewatching Marvel's Daredevil Season 1. Such a compelling piece of television. Realizing so many things that were set up or hinted at early on now. The first season was really tightly scripted and tense af. I remember thinking the second one was a bit of a letdown until it returned to form in the third and last season. Maybe time will be a bit more kind to the sophomore outing. But I doubt it.

the show runner got rid of the old lady enemy because he said no one wanted to watch asians on screen. No LIE.

LifeDistortion 11.02.2020 01:09 PM

Saw the first episode last night, and already love it. Going to watch an episode a night so I don't burn through it too quickly.

Antagon 11.02.2020 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
the show runner got rid of the old lady enemy because he said no one wanted to watch asians on screen. No LIE.

Read up on it. It was the former Marvel TV head Jeph Loeb, not the showrunner who had made those disgusting comments. Fucked up nonetheless.

Rob Instigator 11.02.2020 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antagon
Read up on it. It was the former Marvel TV head Jeph Loeb, not the showrunner who had made those disgusting comments. Fucked up nonetheless.

thanks for correction. I thought her character was awesome. it made me mad to hear they removed it for such a stupid reason.

!@#$%! 11.02.2020 03:38 PM

god dammit, racists everywhere, wtf

h8kurdt 11.02.2020 04:04 PM

Quote:

god dammit, racists everywhere, wtf

Quiet honky.

Whilst I'm here I gotta recommend Succession to everyone on here. So, so good. Don't think there's been a program where every character is a total dick but it's still incredibly watchable. Takes some skill to do that.

!@#$%! 11.02.2020 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h8kurdt
Quiet honky.

:confused:

please tell me you haven’t lost it too....

h8kurdt 11.02.2020 04:26 PM

Quote:

:confused:

please tell me you haven’t lost it too....

Haha! Sorry I couldn't resist a bait. Nono, I lost my mind a while ago with other matters but I've managed to avoid becoming a grumpy old racist.

!@#$%! 11.02.2020 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h8kurdt
Haha! Sorry I couldn't resist a bait. Nono, I lost my mind a while ago with other matters but I've managed to avoid becoming a grumpy old racist.

when i said “god damn racists everywhere” i was reacting to the news of the marvel asshole! (plus people in our board). i had no idea of the marvel business, and it’s so fucked.

and also michelle yeoh is fucking badass on star trek discovery. you’ve seen?

Antagon 11.02.2020 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
thanks for correction. I thought her character was awesome. it made me mad to hear they removed it for such a stupid reason.

Yeah, Madame Gao was awesome. I had wondered why they didn't do more stories with her. Apparently the writers were initially going to write more in-depth looks into those characters' lives but had to scrap that at Loeb's command. This is infuriating, considering some of the themes this show, especially Season 1, is touching upon. I mean, look at the victims of one bald white mogul in Season 1 - many of them are ethnic minorities struggling to get by in an area that gets increasingly hostile towards residents that aren't millionaires. There's a strong critique of corporate interests in gentrification in there. And it illustrates how far those with power are willing to go to maintain that power - those without a voice always being the casualties of their egocentric pursuits. To find out that behind the scenes things were this way is jarring, to say the least.

Rob Instigator 11.03.2020 09:11 AM

indeed

!@#$%! 11.08.2020 07:26 PM

it’s fun, every few years or so, to rewatch old seasons of buffy. currently on season 1. the jokes are still good!

_tunic_ 11.11.2020 07:24 AM

.... where the story makes any sense at all?

I watched Warrior Nun on Netflix. At first it looks similar to Buffy the Vampire Slayer, but then depicted in a monastery. But it ends as sort of an Agents Of Shield in the Vatican, and a feeling of I have no clue what I've been watching.
I'll probably still watch season 2 whenever it comes, maybe it will explain what season 1 was about ;)

!@#$%! 11.11.2020 08:49 AM

i watched “seduced”, the starz docuseries about the nxivm cult

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt13269706/

fucked uuuuuuuuuuuuuup. and a big warning to people who love “groups” lolololol. i don’t think i could ever fall for that shit simply based on the annoyance level of the activities.

but in smaller settings? keep your eyes open...

tw2113 11.13.2020 01:40 AM

Restarted my intended first watch through of The Mandolorean. Almost through the first 4.

Severian 11.13.2020 09:25 PM

Nurse Jackie and woof… the desperation of addiction is hard to watch

!@#$%! 11.14.2020 01:57 AM

p-valley

muy caliente :D

!@#$%! 11.15.2020 10:28 PM

britannia is so fucking cool...