Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

!@#$%! 03.25.2013 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foreverasskiss
two years worth of saved up water bottle pennies. ever used Coinstar at your local grocery store?

i used to but the fuckers take a fee so now i deposit free at my credit union (they have a machine)

though ive heard that if you get amazon money the fee is 0. (i get shit from amazon on occasion).

anyway, best bang for my supermarket booze buck has to be wild turkey 101. that shit's awesome.

congrats on the relatives!

!@#$%! 03.25.2013 08:05 PM

totally continuing to be off topic but what the hell

https://www.coinstar.com/FreeCoinCounting.aspx

wild turkey, man-- 'merica!! (and tasty. really tasty. seriously. good stuff.)

!@#$%! 03.25.2013 08:33 PM

i'm looking the other way and turning my brain off so that if the feds ever ask me if i knew of any felonies i can honestly reply "i didn't understand a fucking word of what he was saying"

and now, a movie:

keep poppin pimples 03.25.2013 09:29 PM

man, i just found out that there is coinstar machines here in cowtown, i hope it has paypal cards so i can ebay some records with my nickels

!@#$%! 03.25.2013 09:48 PM

jacques tati's "playtime"

hilarious. such wonderful anarchy. there is practically no story. the end reminded me of 8 1/2

Sonic Youth 37 03.27.2013 06:04 AM

batreleaser 03.27.2013 09:55 AM

Saw Lincoln last night and liked it.

!@#$%! 03.27.2013 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foreverasskiss
i
i didn't like KIDS and thought Gummo was so untrue, fabricated and an exaggerated version of some white trash culture in america that was cultivated in Korine's mind to make others believe it was true. and of course, that was the point.

funny thing, i have this conviction that people get more influence from their families than they give credit for, so i have this idea about korine that he learned from his pbs-documentary-making dad, and that's why his movies (the ones i've bother to see, not sure i'll ever again but anyway different story) that's why his movies have this documentary feel to it (i.e., kids, gummo). and yeah i liked neither movie although gummo in the end wasn't that atrocious.

i think the dude who did "george washington" (something green something) was a lot kinder to his characters than that bastard korine, and much more watchable and ultimately more interesting.

evollove 03.28.2013 08:08 AM

When I was a kid, an adult saw the movie KIDS and said he was now worried about me. I knew enough about the movie to say, "I dunno. I never raped anyone."

"But you would," he said, as if the film gave him a secret look into my heart.

Fucker.

Rob Instigator 03.28.2013 08:09 AM

The KIDS soundtrack is the only part I like about the movie. After searching for SLINT for months I heard some on that soundtrack then bought the slint LP's and EP's

Sonic Youth 37 03.28.2013 11:32 AM

!@#$%! 03.28.2013 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Murmer99
Also, Playtime is Tati's masterpiece. One of my favorite films :)

Sadly, I haven't seen that much by him. Mr. Hulot's Holiday and Trafic were very enjoyable too. Anyone have recommendations?

he didn't make too many, so if you'll quickly watch them all... there's one he wrote for his daughter and was made recently as an animation... the illusionist. haven't watched it yet but it's on my netflix queue.

demonrail666 03.28.2013 07:30 PM

I haven't seen Traffic or The Illusionist but can recommend Jour de fete. Less anarchic than Playtime, it's gentler, more like Holiday. A great Sunday afternoon film.

Just watched

The Asphalt Jungle.

Loved it. In another age, Sterling Hayden would've made a great Judge Dredd.

demonrail666 03.28.2013 07:41 PM

Quote:

Gummo was a soulless waste of time.

I don't hate it but always thought it looked like one of those 'edgy' fashion spreads you see in style mags. Spring Breakers just seems like it'll be the same kind of thing. I' wanna see it but I'll wait till it's on DVD cos I imagine I'll be wanking through most of it.

demonrail666 03.28.2013 08:20 PM

Yeah, I sometimes get those two films mixed up. They're almost identical in lots of ways. I prefer Asphalt Jungle but not by much; they're both great.

I've never seen any evidence to support it but I wonder if Robert Bresson was thinking of the end of Asphalt Jungle when he shot the climax of Au hasard Balthazar.

ilduclo 03.29.2013 09:49 AM

going to see On the Road this weekend. Sounds like it's pretty true to the book

!@#$%! 03.29.2013 02:18 PM

fanny and alexander, tv version, on blu-ray

OH, THE FUCKING DELIGHT!!

demonrail666 03.29.2013 02:41 PM

Quote:

I never noticed that, but I will watch them both again soon to try and understand what you mean by that.

It's probably nothing. It just struck me when watching the final scene with Sterling Hayden, who's been shot and dies surrounded by horses just after the scene where the commissionar has described him as an animal. The Hayden character is seen as a loyal 'beast of burden' type even by his accomplisses. Then obviously in Bresson's film, Balthasar is shot after helping criminals and lays down to die with the animals, too. Like I say, there may be no connection at all, and I'm certainly not saying Hayden's character is meant to be in any way Christ-like. I've never heard of Bresson citing that scene as an influence but who knows?

Just watched

Bullitt

The car chase still holds up (and if anything gets better every time I watch it) and I don't see how anyone couldn't like Steve McQueen. I've never been that into the movie as a whole, though. Surprising because on paper at least it should be just the kind of thing I'd love, and I'm still not sure why I don't. Although it's a film I'll never miss if I notice it on TV - perhaps in the hope that it'll finally win me over completely.

stu666 03.30.2013 05:43 AM

sonic sphere 03.30.2013 11:27 AM