Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

LifeDistortion 07.12.2013 11:20 PM

Toilet & Bowels 07.13.2013 06:20 AM

The heaviest, most insane, profoundly moving and profoundly horrifying film I've ever seen in the cinema:

h8kurdt 07.13.2013 06:42 AM

Yeah I'm hoping to see that on Monday. I'd say I'm looking forward to it but that ain't the word for it.

!@#$%! 07.13.2013 03:35 PM

my life as a dog

wonderful, beautiful, sad, beautiful, awesome movie. i loved it. i wanna live there!!!

dead_battery 07.13.2013 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
The heaviest, most insane, profoundly moving and profoundly horrifying film I've ever seen in the cinema:

I recommended everyone go see this a few pages ago.

Seriously - do go see this. It's astounding.

Rob Instigator 07.15.2013 08:27 AM

Dr Chocolate 07.17.2013 01:53 AM

GOOD MORNING VIETNAM

what a waste of fucking time that was

Rob Instigator 07.17.2013 08:11 AM

da nang me, da nang me, go get a rope and hang me

home of the shiny green suit

everyone say gook, but that's all right!

!@#$%! 07.17.2013 09:40 AM

the grapes of wrath

this movie famously backfired in the sovet union when stalin showed it-- instead of saying "oh, how horrible they treat the workers" the russians said "wow, in america even the poor have cars."

in any case good movie and typical predatory behavior by the anonymous capitalist machinery. the bank the company the tractors the this the that-- nobody is responsible but everyone gets fucked.

red agitators

have things changed much or do they remain the same?

i probably should read the book.

h8kurdt 07.17.2013 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Chocolate
GOOD MORNING VIETNAM

what a waste of fucking time that was

That's actually a pretty good film.

evollove 07.17.2013 02:04 PM

OLYMPUS HAS FALLEN-- Really violent. Kinda depressing watching 50 people getting shot through the head.

WHITE HOUSE DOWN-- Bloodless violence. Kinda cheap in how they sanitize the gunplay.

So I'm not sure what to think. Please analyze.

(And by the way, people shooting the enemy in the head from fifty feet away seems like amazingly good aim, even for pros. Wild how in recent years the amount of successful headshots has gone up dramatically.)

Rob Instigator 07.17.2013 02:12 PM

movies follow what the video games show. they are being out flanked by video games.

It is very hard to hit a basketball sized target at 50 feet, much less a clean headshot in the middle of a firefight./

!@#$%! 07.17.2013 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evollove
OLYMPUS HAS FALLEN-- Really violent. Kinda depressing watching 50 people getting shot through the head.

WHITE HOUSE DOWN-- Bloodless violence. Kinda cheap in how they sanitize the gunplay.

So I'm not sure what to think. Please analyze.

(And by the way, people shooting the enemy in the head from fifty feet away seems like amazingly good aim, even for pros. Wild how in recent years the amount of successful headshots has gone up dramatically.)

yeah i remember you(?) asking me(?) about doing that with a pistol. 50 feet = 15 meters. olympic distances are 10, 25 and 50 meters but t's all low caliber weapons with little recoil and nobody shooting back.

i haven't seen the movie so i don't know.

generally speaking, you gotta aim for center mass though. chest.

evollove 07.17.2013 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!

i haven't seen the movie so i don't know.

generally speaking, you gotta aim for center mass though. chest.

--Well, it boils down to this: if the filmmakers want someone to die, the shooter has amazing aim. If someone needs to live, not even a spray of machine gun fire will hit the target.

--So you're saying all the head shots are just chest shots that went off the mark?

!@#$%! 07.17.2013 03:28 PM

Quote:

--Well, it boils down to this: if the filmmakers want someone to die, the shooter has amazing aim. If someone needs to live, not even a spray of machine gun fire will hit the target.

--So you're saying all the head shots are just chest shots that went off the mark?

no, i've no idea but generally people train for center mass because the head is too little and moves more and it's too easy to miss and hit something behind the target instead.

shots to the head are typically a very close range business murder thing

but in the movies, every hero is a fucking sharpshooter and every arab terrorist couldn't hit the ground pointing downwards.

evollove 07.17.2013 03:29 PM

By the way, this happens in "good" movies too. How on earth that dude makes that shot at the end of CHINATOWN really strains credulity.
---
But issue 2:

Was it better in the old days where the guy would grab his stomach (clean shirt, no blood stain or bullethole) and fall over? Or is it "better" to show violence in a more realistic manner?

!@#$%! 07.17.2013 03:34 PM

Quote:

By the way, this happens in "good" movies too. How on earth that dude makes that shot at the end of CHINATOWN really strains credulity.
---
But issue 2:

Was it better in the old days where the guy would grab his stomach (clean shirt, no blood stain or bullethole) and fall over? Or is it "better" to show violence in a more realistic manner?

i'd prefer more graphic sex, less violence of all kinds.

but that's just me. pleasure > rage.

Rob Instigator 07.17.2013 03:37 PM

watching the way people blow up in the last Rambo flick made me a pacifist. (by the way, when you type "rambo" and the spell check it, it capitalizes it!)

!@#$%! 07.17.2013 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
the last Rambo

please don't tell me you paid for that

Rob Instigator 07.17.2013 03:42 PM

does the cost of electricity to engage an internet connection to piratebay and then convert the torrent file to an MP4 video count?

The last Rambo was awesome compared to rambo 3, 4, and 5, and 6, and 7