Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

Toilet & Bowels 07.25.2013 02:15 PM

Going to see Pacific Rim in half an hour, I'm quietly excited about it.

demonrail666 07.25.2013 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
Going to see Pacific Rim in half an hour, I'm quietly excited about it.

I'm curious about that. A friend went to see it and really liked it but I'm not sure what I think about it being some kind of spoof blockbuster.

Genteel Death 07.25.2013 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
The heaviest, most insane, profoundly moving and profoundly horrifying film I've ever seen in the cinema:

You should watch the Khmer Rouge Killing Machine documentary too. I have seen it mentioned by the people who produced this and it's totally worth your time. I can't say I want to watch it ever again because it made me cry buckets. The reminiscing of of the guy who's seen his family wiped off was too much, too sad, I struggled to watch the rest.

Toilet & Bowels 07.25.2013 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
I'm curious about that. A friend went to see it and really liked it but I'm not sure what I think about it being some kind of spoof blockbuster.

I wouldn't say it was a spoof anymore than something like the avengers was, i.e. it's aware of its own ridiculousness in a way something like a michael bay isn't. I really enjoyed it, the end is a bit generic but the everything before that is a lot of fun, and if you want to see it see it in the cinema, it wouldn't be half as much fun on a small screen.

demonrail666 07.25.2013 09:19 PM

Great! I'll try and see it over the weekend. Thanks.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 07.25.2013 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Genteel Death
I can't say I want to watch it ever again because it made me cry buckets. The reminiscing of of the guy who's seen his family wiped off was too much, too sad, I struggled to watch the rest.

Yeah, I just can't watch films or even documentaries about this stuff anymore. I'm emotionally over-saturated..

Rob Instigator 07.26.2013 11:28 AM

checked it out from the Library I work at. had not seen it yet. I laughed, I cringed, I squirmed, and I was disgusted.

demonrail666 07.27.2013 05:42 PM

Truck Turner

At times this felt like a Starsky and Hutch episode, minus Starsky and Hutch, and (as seems to be the case with every blaxploitation film I see) the cool dialogue and overall superflyness starts to wear thin after about 15 minutes. Still great fun though.

And always nice seeing Star Trek's Uhura playing a lady pimp.

sonic sphere 07.28.2013 07:11 AM

Dream Home

Pretty good Hong Kong horror with plenty of gore

sonic sphere 07.29.2013 07:42 AM

Rob Instigator 07.29.2013 08:10 AM

Hit the Redbox yesterday. This movie was interesting for about 30 minutes and then it became an hour-Plus long set up for a movie "franchise". The female lead was horrible, and basically exists to show cleavage on screen in endless scoop-neck tops. 4/10

Got this one too. Fuck. Boring. Inconsequential. The movie ends and there exists no point for it's existence. 2/10

evollove 07.29.2013 09:27 AM

OBLIVION- I don't think I can watch sci-fi movies anymore. I always get very confused. In this one, I got pretty lost pretty quickly. Looks good though.

HELL BABY- From the creators of RENO 911. Grab your bong, find a comfy spot of the couch and have a stupid good time.

ONLY GOD FORGIVES- I totally get how someone would like this, maybe even love it. Me, I couldn't stand it.

demonrail666 07.29.2013 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator

Hit the Redbox yesterday. This movie was interesting for about 30 minutes and then it became an hour-Plus long set up for a movie "franchise". The female lead was horrible, and basically exists to show cleavage on screen in endless scoop-neck tops. 4/10

Got this one too. Fuck. Boring. Inconsequential. The movie ends and there exists no point for it's existence. 2/10

That's interesting. I've got both those on my Lovefilm list (similar to netflix) mainly because I'm a big fan of the books they're from. Hmm.

Rob Instigator 07.29.2013 11:18 AM

They both were obviously pulled from novels. You can tell because of endless scenes of two people talking that do nothing to further the plot. Gandolfini's appearance in Kill Softly was pointless and wasted.
Brad Pitt is either a terrible actor or directors do not know what to do with his "too handsome" face.

evollove 07.29.2013 11:43 AM

C'mon.

Not a great movie, but KILLING had some good scenes (the robbery, for example). And that last speech of Pitt's was classic.

Jack Reacher did suck. (And again, for the millionth time, I hate how the hero always has perfect aim.) Werner Herzog was pretty great, though.

---

Rob, you totally need to check out Hell Baby.

Rob Instigator 07.29.2013 12:02 PM

Herzog was awesomely creepy and scary. Wish they had used him further.

Killing was dull. The robbery was cliche central. There were some good bits, but overall the movie was even more boring than Reacher.

Both of tyhose movies suck in that to minimize costs, there are NO PEOPLE EXISTING IN THEIR WORLD! They can enter public areas of buildings, and no one is there but them. I hate the whole thing of kiling softly. so boring. I hated every single character and saw no reason to give a fuck who died and who didn't. I am sick of movies where we are supposed to cheer a killer as he kills people we are supposed to hate, but are exactly like them. stupid shitty writing.

killing without repercussions works in movies that do not try to take themselves seriously. In Jackie Archer and in Killing Softly, the body counts are high and the deaths are filmed in slow mo as if theya re ballet. THEY ARE NOT. I miss the days when John Woo was orchestrating violence in Killer and HardBoiled.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 07.29.2013 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
T
Brad Pitt is either a terrible actor or directors do not know what to do with his "too handsome" face.

Brad Pitt is a fantastic actor. Shit, I even almost half-tolerated his scenes in that fucking epic failure Tree of Life. However, you are right, some writers/directors just don't know what to do with him. Not quite Matthew McConaughey scenario..

Rob Instigator 07.29.2013 01:28 PM

I think Pitt is a mumble-mouthed actor who gets by on his screen presence, and tons of slo-mo shots of his good looks.

He was cool, if histrionic in 12 Monkeys. He was forgettable in Se7en, he was annoying to me in Snatch. (couldn't understand anything he said.) He was boring as fuck in the Mexican. (shitty movie, can't blame him). He was interesting in Fight Club, but that movie annoyed me. Pitt was horrible in Troy (another shit movie), Pitt was adequate, if seemingly bored, through the Oceans 11-12-13 movies. Burn After Reading is the worst movie the Coens ever made and Pitt was forgettable in it.
Mr. & Mrs Smith was a vanity project and he looked bored shit-less making it.

I have enjoyed Pitt a LOT in other films though. Assasination of jesse james, he was great in that. he was hilariously walking the line between cheese and mania in Inglorious Basterds.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 07.29.2013 01:59 PM

But rob, screen presence is sort of like stage presence, it is part of an actor's skill set. Not everybody pulls it off. Interestingly, I dare say if Kristen Stewart just didn't ever say anything, she could be a decent actress because she seems to focus entirely on screen presence. I'd say the Brad Pitt doesn't always make some epic shit, but when he is at his best it is some of the best there is, and even when he's at his worst its tolerable. Look how absolutely terrible Johnny Depp's career has went? He makes unimaginable amounts of money essentially as a caricature of his Raul Duke persona, which was of course, epic. He was indeed very terrible in Seven, I'll give you that, but that flick was good enough I thought on its own. However I'd say Interview With the Vampire, Legends of the Fall, SLEEPERS, Twelve Monkeys, Seven Years in Tibet, Fight Club, Snatch (yes), definitely The Assassination of Jesse James, Babel, shit, that's enough isn't it?

Rob Instigator 07.29.2013 02:11 PM

I truly feel the problem is that, like Paul Newman and Robert redford, it takes a certain kind of director and cinematographer to film these actors as characters, and not as handsome demi-gods of male beauty. Personally, I think Pitt is a good actor, and capable of creating a memorable character. I just think that he got pigeon-holed.