Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

Rob Instigator 08.26.2013 03:14 PM

Batman did not solve any crimes, nor did he do any detective work in the last Nolan Batman flick.

Diesel 08.26.2013 03:48 PM

Well maybe he fucking should have. (sorrry for swearing).

Talking of batman, i sat down to watch the Mechanic last night starring batman (cristian bale) and it turned out to be some Jason Statham actiona wanker fest. feck.

Toilet & Bowels 08.26.2013 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
Batman did not solve any crimes, nor did he do any detective work in the last Nolan Batman flick.

in the last nolan flock he did seem to have the ability to turn up at exactly the right place at exactly the right time with no way to explain how he knew too do so

!@#$%! 08.26.2013 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
in the last nolan flock he did seem to have the ability to turn up at exactly the right place at exactly the right time with no way to explain how he knew too do so

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gs0w98-ekFk

evollove 08.26.2013 04:39 PM

Dude's about to get shot in the head. The bad guy takes an inordinate amount of time to squeeze the trigger. Batman arrives and saves the day. A shitty movie makes a trillion dollars.

Rob Instigator 08.26.2013 04:54 PM

the Nolan batman flicks are internally inconsistent to a high degree. They are good for people who want to see shit blow up and feel fake-ass moral dilemmas.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 08.26.2013 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels

I liked Dark Knight, but it did seem a bit exaggerated to fit into the blow shit up to the extreme ethos of post-2000 Hollywood movies. It also was a bit lengthy for a just blow shit up movie without enough of the rich character development which previously separated Batman from other comic book hero sagas. Batman was also more overtly a morality play and a self-reflective exercise. However, it looks like the Nolan Batman movies went more the direction of Batman III and Batman IV rather than Batman and Batman Returns. The last two seemed more like caricatures of the first, only Tim Burton can flirt with campy and serious in the same movie, and even he has had some epic failures at that. So the way that Batman III and Batman IV seemed like caricature versions of Tim Burton's first two Batman films, the Nolan Batmans almost seem like caricatures of a violent blockbuster action movie.

For my part, Memento is one of the single greatest mind fuck films of all time, period. Insomnia was decent, if for finally creating a good villain role for Robin Williams, and Stephen King's dry and lifeless dialogue is suited for Al Pacino. Unlike a lot of people, I really liked Inception, it wasn't Memento good, but I liked it, even went to the theater to see it, one of the few in the past ten years that has dragged me to the cinema. With the Batmans, well, I always felt the violence was a bit over the top for Batman, and the character development a little shallow, but all in all, they were beautiful produced with fantastic cinematography and balanced effects in this era of terrible CGI overkill. (remeber when 3-D almost ruined movies for the 1980s, that is how I feel about post-2000s Star Wars CGI blockbusters, its like if I wanted to play a video game I would have just done that instead of trying to watch a film)..

!@#$%! 08.26.2013 05:16 PM

puta madre, every time someone mentions batman it become pages and pages of "deep discussion."

this will surely not end.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 08.26.2013 05:18 PM

It is what it is. But Tim Burton's Batman and the first two Nolan flicks I think are worthy of discussion any time. Ben Affleck? Not so much. Besides, we could easily be talking about bad ass Jack Nicholson films, but demonrail keeps posting all the crap ;)

demonrail666 08.26.2013 05:23 PM

I don't get the Ben Affleck hate at all. Not saying he's great or anything but he's been pretty decent in most everything I've seen him in. Casey's better though.

demonrail666 08.26.2013 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
we could easily be talking about bad ass Jack Nicholson films, but demonrail keeps posting all the crap ;)

Haha. So you reckon he was more badass after the 70s?!? You're that guy who thinks the Dukes of Hazzard movie was better than the TV series, I know you are!

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 08.26.2013 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
I don't get the Ben Affleck hate at all. Not saying he's great or anything but he's been pretty decent in most everything I've seen him in. Casey's better though.

Ben Affleck is sort of like a more slacker and less sex appeal Matthew McConaughey because he comes across too much like David Schwimmer for anybody to take him too seriously. Like McConaughey, he's not particularly good at anything he's been in, but he didn't totally kill it either. He is the definition of medium then, so I agree, except that his advantage is he's been casted mostly in "Ben Affleck" kind of roles, of which Batman most certainly is not. Shit, even Mat Damon after all those Bourne Neverending Story repeats would surely make the more convincing Batman. Affleck doesn't have enough swag.
Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
Haha. So you reckon he was more badass after the 70s?!? You're that guy who thinks the Dukes of Hazzard movie was better than the TV series, I know you are!

Dude, the movie is the only thing that managed to suck worse than that show!! I watched neither. I think that Jack Nicholson didn't perfect his characters until he developed that Bill Clinton swagger, he was a bit too Gene Wilder campy in his early roles I think. I just like that dickhead Jack better. Like Chinatown* (the one good pre-1980s film I think), The Shining*, Ironweed, Batman*, The Two Jakes, A Few Good Men*, Hoffa*, The Crossing Guard, The Pledge*, The Departed*, even Anger Management and About Schmidt!! The *starred films alone are all-time great roles, and he has several? Just mostly after 1980..

demonrail666 08.26.2013 07:52 PM

I'm amazed you're talking about him in stuff like A Few Good Good Men but haven't even mentioned One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

Toilet & Bowels 08.26.2013 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
oh, i have this to watch, and i've watched part of it but it was so good i put it aside to finish on a good long lazy day (today probably), but did you find the dvd transfer as terrible as i did? the fucking thing is cakeboxed (a letterbox inside a pillarbox, in other words, they stuck a widescreen (i think it's a 1.66) inside a 4:3, then they stuck that as a widescreen dvd, so you have black bars on top and bottom and on each side, and if you try to zoom it in to eliminate one set of bars it's all pixelated.)

criterion has to get their hands on this things and reissue. yes, maybe it doesn't matter "for the story", but what i've seen so far is fucking gorgeous and deserves a lot more respect from its medium.

That sounds awful, I guess the UK version must be a different transfer, I think the aspect ratio was 1:85, and there certainly wasn't any blanking on the left and right edges.

Toilet & Bowels 08.26.2013 08:06 PM

That Tim Burton batman film is awful! Batman is a neocon ninja, fuck him!

Diesel 08.26.2013 08:33 PM

It's fright fest on film 4 again. Watched this art house french horror film Calvaire (The Ordeal)....Beautiful shots of forest towards the end. Beastiality, rape.... um, bit tosh really.

tw2113 08.26.2013 09:12 PM

Before Midnight.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 08.26.2013 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foreverasskiss
agreed. the gulible, tough, but pussy whip by his wife, sweet character he played was fanstastic.:)

Agreed, all the more accentuated by the juxtaposition his large frame and build. It was like, this big dude is whipped, but in a sweet way like your grandpa? Dude was funny as shit too. That whole show was fantastic, I really liked it, but only later in syndication.

h8kurdt 08.27.2013 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
I'm telling you demonrail, just don't fuck with Jack Nicholson before 1980. You've been forewarned that it sucks!

Go home, cos this is one of the silliest comments I've seen by you on here.

sonic sphere 08.27.2013 05:16 AM