Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

MellySingsDoom 01.17.2014 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
So long as they didn't hype any shower scenes

Right - off to bed with you with no dinner!

evollove 01.18.2014 08:22 AM

I remember when Schindler's List came out, Time Magazine (I think) did a poll. I forget the exact numbers, but they were scary. A sliver though the Holocaust didn't happen at all, a larger group thought the number was exaggerated, and about a fourth simply didn't know about the Holocaust at all.

20 years later, I'm guessing the numbers would be different, and that's in large part thanks to Schindler's List.

However:

I strongly feel there have been too many "Holocaust" films in the intervening years, and this has "desensitized" many people's response to the event. Academics are calling this "Holocaust Fatigue."

Which is why the otherwise decent demonrail666 thought it was okay to make a sick, neg-rep worthy pun at the expense of victims.

I wonder what would happen if for the next decade or so there were a bunch of "slavery" films released every year? Soon enough, I bet it'd become a punchline.

h8kurdt 01.18.2014 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evollove
I remember when Schindler's List came out, Time Magazine (I think) did a poll. I forget the exact numbers, but they were scary. A sliver though the Holocaust didn't happen at all, a larger group thought the number was exaggerated, and about a fourth simply didn't know about the Holocaust at all.

20 years later, I'm guessing the numbers would be different, and that's in large part thanks to Schindler's List.

However:

I strongly feel there have been too many "Holocaust" films in the intervening years, and this has "desensitized" many people's response to the event. Academics are calling this "Holocaust Fatigue."

Which is why the otherwise decent demonrail666 thought it was okay to make a sick, neg-rep worthy pun at the expense of victims.

I wonder what would happen if for the next decade or so there were a bunch of "slavery" films released every year? Soon enough, I bet it'd become a punchline.

You tell the truth.

!@#$%! 01.18.2014 10:07 AM

i don't think the holocaust is funny at all but demonio's joke made me laugh though-- because it was about hitchcock.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 01.18.2014 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
MAN OF STEEL - a piece of shit. it was like watching mortal kombat.

DON'T YOU EVER FUCKING DISS MORTAL KOMBAT LIKE THAT AGAIN!

Quote:

THE WOLVERINE -

No, THIS is the ONLY true Wolverine, period.

Genteel Death 01.18.2014 03:42 PM

10/10

Loved it.

MellySingsDoom 01.18.2014 07:35 PM

Toilet & Bowels 01.19.2014 05:01 AM

The Necromancer (1988)

Not exactly good, but has a kind of charm to it

!@#$%! 01.19.2014 07:52 PM

i would never have gone with it by its title, but caught silver linings playbook on a hotel tv (amazing, all those channels, nothing to watch but commercials).

ANYWAY-- pretty good. then i realized it was fucking david o. russell who directed. he's pretty great-- not the best ever but yes. good.

MellySingsDoom 01.20.2014 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i don't think the holocaust is funny at all but demonio's joke made me laugh though-- because it was about hitchcock.

Senor demonrail's zinger made me groan audibly over here (hence my reply), but he certainly isn't the second coming of Richard Edmonds or what have you. In fact, if anyone went up to him offline with Holocaust "jokes" ahoy, he'd whack them upside the head with the nearest heavy book to hand, then tell them to fuck off. Hope that maked things clear to all you SYG-ers.

(Incidentally, I hear tell that demonrail's currently heavily at work on the definitve bigoraphy of the late film critic/lecturer/all-round "character" Ray Durgant. Apparently he's up to the bit where Durgant punches out Mick Farren at the UFO Club in 1967, after Farren tried to steal Durgant's girlfriend under the pretext of having her "produce the second Deviants album". And this after Durgnat had helped himself to Syd Barrett's rider (a barrel of Watney's Party Seven bitter and packet of Salt 'N' Shake crisps), and tried to drag the resident UFO DJ away from his booth, after said DJ played The Yardbirds' "Ha Ha Said The Clown". More details as I find out about them!)

MellySingsDoom 01.20.2014 03:35 PM

This was much better than I was expecting - the plot moves along very well, there's some very funny moments along the way, and Di Caprio has a fair bit of presence in this. My only quibble is the lack of a solidly strong female role here (Di Caprio's 2nd wife begins to get there towards the end, but a lot more could have been done with her), but otherwise this is a solid effort from Scorsese. Didn't realise how long it was going to be, though!

Beautiful Plateau 01.20.2014 04:01 PM

A Serious Man (by the Coen Brothers)

I enjoyed it.

!@#$%! 01.20.2014 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MellySingsDoom
Senor demonrail's zinger made me groan audibly over here (hence my reply)

your reply was funny too-- but his comment was funnier. i'm still laughing about it. it was the only possible context to say that, and the joke works (for me anyway).

ilduclo 01.20.2014 04:32 PM

Inside Llywen Davis, a lot of really likable characters, sad but touching

Rob Instigator 01.21.2014 09:51 AM

Much better than Stallone's Dredd. I thought it captured a lot of what the comic was. hyper violent.

pad_023 01.23.2014 05:36 AM

MellySingsDoom 01.24.2014 10:58 AM

Two cinema visits for me yesterday - first up was this:

As other SYG-ers have already said, this is a powerful, outstanding and very affecting film. Not as relentlessly violent as I thought it might be, but still with plenty of uncomfortable scenes on offer, and a film that leaves you with much to think about. I really want to see more Steve McQueen films on the strength of this.

MellySingsDoom 01.24.2014 11:01 AM

And the second cinema visit up was for this:

Basically a rehash of the themes and ideas already covered by "The Blair Witch Project" and "The Last Broadcast". Shot on digital video, and with an all-amateur cast, this was a deeply predictable and disappointing film, though it did have a couple of entertaining moments to break up the boredom. Not one I would recommend to followers of horror film, unless you're a fan of the barrel-scraping end of Jesus Franco's oeuvre.

!@#$%! 01.24.2014 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MellySingsDoom
I really want to see more Steve McQueen films on the strength of this.

oh, watch PAPILLON

:D

MellySingsDoom 01.24.2014 11:04 AM

^^^ :D (boom tish etc)