Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

demonrail666 04.28.2014 06:19 AM

Olympus has Fallen

Weird that this should be released at almost the exact same time as White House Down; they're almost the same film. I probably preferred White House Down but maybe only because I saw that one first.

Behind the Candelabra

I liked it but it seemed to lack any kind of interesting story. The acting is great though, with Rob Lowe's plastic surgeon probably stealing the whole movie.

sonic sphere 04.28.2014 08:17 AM

MellySingsDoom 04.28.2014 09:43 AM

@demonraill666 - just checked out "White House Down", and think I may well give that one a go. Sound like top-notch entertainment, if nothing else!

I really enjoyed "Behind The Candelabra" too, even as you say, the story is somewhat light in this one. With you too on the Rob Lowe acting tip too, though Douglas definitely acquits himself well here. You've also just reminded me of the time when John Waters was introduced to Liberace: "I didn't know whether to laugh or scream. He's "Mr Sardonicus" for real".

!@#$%! 04.28.2014 09:59 AM

lars von trier's "antichrist"

i realized the other day that i had lost touch with his work after "dogville" and decided to catch up so i've been picking up stuff here and there (the other day i saw his "medea").

i generally dislike horror movies but i thought this one was great. charlotte gainsbourg was particularly brilliant. dafoe, sure, he's always good, but she, whom i had only seen in a goofy gondry movie, was tremendous here.

i really really loved the camera work in this film. that's one thing LVT does always very well-- his images are excellent, and you can see that even in worn-out vhs transfers of his medea. here there's all kinds of great stuff. teh color palette is cold and fantastic. the slow motion shots in black and white and gorgeous. there are some handheld shots in which parts of the image distort as the camera moves-- was that a lens, a computer effect, some kinf of accident? either way i thought it was awesome and went great with the action. the slow motion sequences, the music-- everything, really, was great. some moods/moments/shots reminded me a bit of his ghost-infested swamp from "kingdom hospital" (his version, not the american remake).

this stuff is really good. thoroughly satisfying. not sure how to make "sense" of the story but i dreamed like crazy about it and overslept something like 2 hours thanks to it. so hell yes i recommend it.

demonrail666 04.29.2014 01:30 PM

Cast announced for new Star Wars movie

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014...er-john-boyega

foreverasskiss 04.29.2014 06:33 PM

Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story.

i don't normally like or go for any Jubb Apatow movies but this shit is too funny and a mindless favorite. everything is perfectly executed for a dumb mainstream comedy. sure beats Step Bros.

tesla69 04.30.2014 09:32 AM

Salt of the Earth. directed and written by members of the so-called Hollywood Ten (yes, Virginia, the US does have political prisoners).

So ironic that after beating fascism in WW2 the US then created a House Unamerican Activities Committee, even more so that Senator McCarthy was a morphine addict whose narcotics were provided by FBI Director Hoover.

Think about that for a few minutes.

demonrail666 05.02.2014 12:17 PM

The Insider

A great film. Easy to forget it's by Michael Mann but his trademark seriousness and control are all over it. A rare understated (these days) performance by Pacino. If only DeNiro had his sense of quality control.

Derek 05.02.2014 12:39 PM

Street of Crocodiles (Brothers Quay, 1986)
Ghost Soup (Shunji Iwai, 1992)
Fury (Fritz Lang, 1936)
Three Days (Sharunas Bartas, 1992)
The Lady from Shanghai (Orson Welles, 1947)
On the Silver Globe (Andrzej Zulawski, 1988)

tw2113 05.02.2014 06:11 PM

John Carpenter's Vampires.

Right up there next to Near Dark for my preferred vampire movies now.

!@#$%! 05.04.2014 10:06 PM

YOU WILL MEET A TALL DARK STRANGER - even when woody allen doesn't produce his best work, it's still more entertaining than most shit out there. good cast, good story, good dialogue, good fun--- and yes, not his best work by any means, the screenplay feels a bit rushed, but still better than the scorpion curse or whatever the fuck that was.

REPO MAN - many years after i fist saw this (some time in the 90s) i just found out this is a pretty good comedy, and i laughed my ass off watching. this is an improvement over the first time i saw it, when someone told me it was going to be some sort of revolutionary shit, and i was disappointed. but this is just a b-movie comedy, and a pretty good one at that, and should be enjoyed for what it is. also watched the missing scenes, and some of them should have been included in a director's cut or something.

12 YEARS A SLAVE - holy fucking shit. this was really heavy, but excellent.

demonrail666 05.05.2014 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!

REPO MAN - many years after i fist saw this (some time in the 90s) i just found out this is a pretty good comedy, and i laughed my ass off watching. this is an improvement over the first time i saw it, when someone told me it was going to be some sort of revolutionary shit, and i was disappointed. but this is just a b-movie comedy, and a pretty good one at that, and should be enjoyed for what it is. also watched the missing scenes, and some of them should have been included in a director's cut or something.

Same for me. When I first saw it when it was released I was lead to believe it'd be some life changing experience. It wasn't. I didn't get it until much later on when I just watched it for the sake of it and realised it's a great comedy. No more no less.

sonic sphere 05.05.2014 11:24 AM

keep poppin pimples 05.05.2014 10:08 PM

okay

good performance by pacino, awful everything else

demonrail666 05.07.2014 12:09 PM

Spring Breakers

Watched this again because I kept flip flopping over what I thought about it. I'm still not sure what I think about Harmony Korine overall but some bits here (the Britney Spears song at the piano, the bit when Alien's showing off his 'shit', the scene at the pool hall) are amazing. It's James Franco who saves it for me.

an evening with viewtiful 05.07.2014 06:41 PM

A bit aimless, but all the elements are working in the film's favor. No complaint I can lodge against this one is meaningful enough to really lower my estimation of it.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 05.07.2014 07:52 PM

Torn Curtain 05.08.2014 01:22 PM

7.5/10

One flaw though, the music is annoying at times.

Tokolosh 05.09.2014 06:11 AM

Exploring the elusive nature of truth and memory.
Documentary filmmaking at it's best.

Tokolosh 05.09.2014 07:36 AM

Your communication skills are phenomenal.
You'll blend in very well with this forum. Carry on.