Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   top 5 "seminal bands" you despise (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=20445)

atsonicpark 06.07.2008 06:26 PM

Also, someone mentioned Beefheart on this thread?!!!!!!

That's... insane. That's like the best music ever made!! Wow!

Oh well, opinions yeah...

Trasher02 06.07.2008 06:48 PM

The Sex Pistols, never understood it.

atsonicpark 06.07.2008 08:27 PM

Guns N Roses are awesome!

demonrail666 06.08.2008 12:08 AM

Appetite for Destruction is one of my favourite albums, period. Their later shittiness can never alter its undeniable brilliance for me.

dionysusundone 06.08.2008 02:19 AM

Alien Sex Fiend are PHENOMENAL batreleaser! You just gotta learn to give em a chance. I think I know your taste enough to know you just have to live with em a bit. Just my opinion though.

Cantankerous 06.08.2008 02:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dionysusundone
Alien Sex Fiend are PHENOMENAL batreleaser! You just gotta learn to give em a chance. I think I know your taste enough to know you just have to live with em a bit. Just my opinion though.

youre absolutely right. i walk the fucking line between good and evil.

I HATE THE FUCKING DEAD MILKMEN.

uhler 06.08.2008 02:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cantankerous
youre absolutely right. i walk the fucking line between good and evil.

I HATE THE FUCKING DEAD MILKMEN.

i second that.

demonrail666 06.08.2008 03:32 AM

I think it's something about the word 'dead' in a band name. Dead Milkmen, Dead Kennedys, Dead Can Dance, Grateful Dead. Can't stand any of them. I'm sure I'll come with an exception the minute I post this, but until then i can safely say that bands with the word 'dead' in their name are always shit.

Edit: Dead or Alive were Ok. But if they're the best I can think of then I've sort of proven my point.

batreleaser 06.08.2008 10:12 AM

appetite for destruction is incredible. the personality and talent of the guys playing on that record is awesome. duff, axl, slash, izzy, and steve. seriously one of the best lineups in rock history. slash is a guitar fanatic, the dude practiced like 10 hrs a day as a kid! then theres duff, the hardcore alumni, who got sick of simple punk rock chords and wanted to play larger than life rock n roll. axl's vocals and and performance were both awesomee, unstable lead singers are the best! izzy, incredible rythym guitar. appetite for destruction epitomized rock n roll. it mixed all the best parts of the rock tradition; blues, metal, glam, and punk and through it together in this very accesible but very awesome package. not to mention, lots and lots of sex drugs and rock n roll. this tribute prolly makes me sound like a twat, but fuck it, i stand by appetite for destruction! just one of those records that has stuck with me no matter what music im into at the time.

batreleaser 06.08.2008 10:13 AM

and i also love the dead milkmen. my favorite college rock band. short punked up pop songs with hilarious lyrics about getting beat up at frat parties and such.

batreleaser 06.08.2008 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
I think it's something about the word 'dead' in a band name. Dead Milkmen, Dead Kennedys, Dead Can Dance, Grateful Dead. Can't stand any of them. I'm sure I'll come with an exception the minute I post this, but until then i can safely say that bands with the word 'dead' in their name are always shit.

Edit: Dead or Alive were Ok. But if they're the best I can think of then I've sort of proven my point.

the dead c?

the ikara cult 06.08.2008 10:19 AM

Rolling Stones
Dinosaur Jr
Metallica
edit: I forgot U2! Probably through force of hhabit
Pink Floyd (not so bad)

Cantankerous 06.08.2008 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666

i can't stand dead can dance either.

but i love the grateful dead and the dead kennedys.

atsonicpark 06.08.2008 05:16 PM

Oh fuck I forgot to list Dinosaur Jr. I HATE them.

Would like to mention that Dead Milkmen have some absolutely genius songs, but I'm not really sure if they're a "seminal band"..

Cantankerous 06.08.2008 05:18 PM

i don't even know what the fuck a seminal band is
every band has influenced SOMEONE

atsonicpark 06.08.2008 05:28 PM

" Seminal".

It's a sperm thing, you wouldn't understand.

Glice 06.08.2008 05:43 PM

Ascension.

I'm going to stick that particular cat in and amoungst that particular group of pigeons. Incidentally, if anyone wants to send me recordings of the 'semenal' 'Ascension' 'they' are 'more than welcome'.

gmku 06.08.2008 05:53 PM

The Stones
Dylan
The Yardbirds
Velvet Underground
Love

All are absolutely despicable and I love them all for it.

Pookie 06.08.2008 05:57 PM

Some of these threads go on for so long, I forget if I posted in them.

Obvious ones I know:

Pink Floyd
Rolling Stones
Led Zep
Stooges
Doors

I don't despise any band, but all of these bore the pants off me.

the ikara cult 06.08.2008 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cantankerous
i don't even know what the fuck a seminal band is
every band has influenced SOMEONE

well, i tended to concentrate on the Big Names. I hate Razorlight more than all of the bands i listed but one can appreciate the 5 one mentioned as being "important".
Dinosaur Jr are crap! *runs away from indie-beating*