Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Is Trump really a serious contender for the Republican nomination? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=113183)

Skuj 03.13.2018 06:28 PM

Thanks. I'm west coast. 30min from this posting. If Dems win at least I can smile a bit today, in the face of all things Trumpian.

Skuj 03.13.2018 06:30 PM

Pompeo as Secretary Of State...... The more that sinks in the more depressed I am.

!@#$%! 03.13.2018 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skuj
Thanks. I'm west coast. 30min from this posting. If Dems win at least I can smile a bit today, in the face of all things Trumpian.

yeah, so voting closes at 5pm your time, not sure when the election will be called but while on a normal situation i’d give it till next day here a recount is likely to be demanded no matter what, considering the current climate.

as for the pompeo-induced depression, you’re lucky to be north of the border. then again you’re also part of NORAD so ayayay. yeah. depressing.

The Soup Nazi 03.13.2018 06:49 PM

I feel like hibernating. Wake me up when he loses the 2020 election (fingers crossed) or the golden shower tape is released, whichever comes first.

!@#$%! 03.13.2018 08:28 PM

as of right now democrat ahead in the penn pols by 7000 votes per washington post

--

eta: ny time shows lamb 6% ahead with 62% of votes in. no reliable projection available yet.

--

5 min ago wapo updated saccone closing gap

Skuj 03.13.2018 08:53 PM

I honestly don't even think a golden shower vid would make a big difference. Access Hollywood did fuck all.

!@#$%! 03.13.2018 08:56 PM

Quote:

I honestly don't even think a golden shower vid would make a big difference. Access Hollywood did fuck all.

correct

not with his base anyway

Skuj 03.13.2018 08:59 PM

I'm amazed at how often the vote is so near 50/50. So perfectly divided!! How did that happen?

!@#$%! 03.13.2018 09:14 PM

Quote:

I'm amazed at how often the vote is so near 50/50. So perfectly divided!! How did that happen?

google "yancey simmonds virginia" for a look at the craziest electoral rollercoaster of late

tesla69 03.13.2018 09:19 PM

Quote:

Its our system of checks and balances in action!

Skuj 03.13.2018 09:31 PM

tesla, I believe you are pro-Trump. Are you surprised/disappointed that this is a nail biter?

evollove 03.14.2018 06:02 AM

Quote:

I fear much unalterable damage has been done to institutions, the environment, and education, in the USA and in the world, because Donald Fucking Trump is POTUS.

Quote:

Pence scares me even more than Trump. If Trump goes, it gets even worse, imho.

Pence would do all sorts of shitty things, but he'd do it legally. He actually has respect for basic democratic institutions.

Whack-job right-winger vs. authoritarian wannabe. I'll take the whack job. Sucks, but that's where we're at.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
I feel like hibernating. Wake me up when he loses the 2020 election (fingers crossed) or the golden shower tape is released, whichever comes first.

Sitting out the midterms? Pussy.

Anyway, 2020 is the Dem's to lose. They probably will. So pack Congress and the states with good people while you can.

evollove 03.14.2018 06:10 AM

Lamb claims victory, GOP not conceding, according to what I'm reading this am.

Even if Lamb ends up losing somehow, it feels like a win. Y'know?

Anything can happen before November. I try to bear that in mind. But I'm pretty sure the 2018 bloodbath has begun.

ilduclo 03.14.2018 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evollove
Pence would do all sorts of shitty things, but he'd do it legally. He actually has respect for basic democratic institutions.

Whack-job right-winger vs. authoritarian wannabe. I'll take the whack job. Sucks, but that's where we're at.

Anyway, 2020 is the Dem's to lose. They probably will. So pack Congress and the states with good people while you can.

I think Penice would be much worse than Trump. He has all of the same bad policy positions, then adds religious intolerance and extreme xenophobia to the repulsive mix.

!@#$%! 03.14.2018 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilduclo
I think Penice would be much worse than Trump. He has all of the same bad policy positions, then adds religious intolerance and extreme xenophobia to the repulsive mix.

ebola has a point about the destruction of fundamental institutions though. a benevolent tyrant is still a tyrant

ilduclo 03.14.2018 10:44 AM

Gina Haspel as CIA Director

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gina_Haspel

https://www.cosmopolitan.com/politic...win-for-women/

Jeez, she's VILE! What a horrible choice. Should be under threat of arrest by Interpol

!@#$%! 03.14.2018 05:56 PM

so lamb won in pa but saccone refuses to concede last i read

looks like the shit will be ongoing

Skuj 03.14.2018 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Schunk

I read that and I think "She's right." Does that make me a bad person? Where is she wrong?

Skuj 03.14.2018 10:56 PM

I thought the article took some liberties with conclusions about what she said. I'll do more reading. Of course I don't think Hilary Clinton is perfect, but I've never understood the amount of hate she gets.

!@#$%! 03.15.2018 07:51 AM

news from the base https://gizmodo.com/white-supremacis...o-n-1823788899

evollove 03.15.2018 03:59 PM

Who here thinks Mueller waited til the Ides of March on purpose?

The Soup Nazi 03.15.2018 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evollove

How many times do I have to say it: I'M NOT A US CITIZEN.

tw2113 03.15.2018 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
How many times do I have to say it: I'M NOT A US CITIZEN.

According to republicans, you're still able to, but shouldn't be able to.

tesla69 03.16.2018 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tw2113
According to republicans, you're still able to, but shouldn't be able to.

It is happening, actually- I thought this assertion was biblebelterbabble but its april fools day every day now.

http://www.newsweek.com/immigrants-a...america-664467

"the City Council in College Park approved the measure to allow undocumented immigrants, student visa holders and residents with green cards to vote in local elections,"

however

Voting rights granted to noncitizens in Takoma Park and San Francisco "are limited to local office, not a blanket right to vote for all governmental offices," said Lorraine Minnite, a political science professor at Rutgers University who wrote The Myth of Voter Fraud
(http://www.politifact.com/florida/st...ens-elections/)

Local matters.

Skuj 03.17.2018 02:54 PM

I have a strange feeling that McCabe will get his revenge.

ilduclo 03.17.2018 03:05 PM

Julie Christie AND a great soundtrack!

!@#$%! 03.17.2018 03:22 PM

lol spoiler alert great sad ending in the snow

but here’s the thing: trump will go on endlessly because he’s the last antichrist and therefore invincible by earth powers

his tentacles are deep in tesla’s brain, sucking. or maybe he’s getting sucked by tesla. 69.

the trumpet the trumpet the trumpet etc

when you see the mushroom cloud, hide under your desk

Skuj 03.18.2018 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Personally i am thrilled at prospects of seeing Trump's ego and self control completely self destruct to the point of self immolation in July when the democrats CRUSH him in a barrage of attack ads and soundbytes..

Trump isn't a politician so he doesn't know or have experience in keeping his cool under such microscopic and hyper criticism.

GOP is literally destroying themselves like the democrats did in the 1960s with Segregationists.. it will be fun to see them collapsed under the weight of their own bigotry and stupidity ;)

I'm sick. SICK I tell you. Why am I looking at the early parts of this thread? What am I getting from this exercise? I'm still trying to come to terms with how in the fuck Trump became POTUS. How did we go from there to here? Everyday I turn on the news and just fucking groan.

God help me.

tw2113 03.18.2018 01:29 AM

Pro tip for a longer life in 2018, stop turning on the news.

ilduclo 03.18.2018 08:56 AM

The ostrich with his head in the sand isn't well aware of the lion sneaking up on him....

Turn on the news, keep working for change. (it works!)

!@#$%! 03.18.2018 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LifeDistortion
Hillary basically won states that go Republican in the general election. Yet, I'll tell you, if Hillary becomes the nomination and Trump becomes the Republican nomination I just got a very scary image of this turning out much like the election of 2000, where it comes down to a win in one state and neither Trump nor Clinton getting a commanding lead.

skuj: this was the closest early prediction of them all.

!@#$%! 03.18.2018 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Schunk
To answer the question with which this thread began, there is no chance whatsoever that Donald Trump will actually become the Republican Party's nominee for the Presidency of the United States of America. You can take my word on that! :D

was the worst prediction of them all, and quite late in the game

!@#$%! 03.18.2018 09:40 AM

Quote:

the electoral college in particular is what dooms Trump.

this one too

!@#$%! 03.18.2018 10:02 AM

Quote:

hahaha trump is not a swing state away from shit. indeed he doesn't even project to having half the electoral college. i will repeat it again, if Mitt Romney couldn't win a national election which was very close Trump will get embarrassed. everyone who keeps saying he stands any kind of chance are just being superstitious or fearmongering.. yeah yeah sure sure que the vote this or its not in until its in blah blah woof woof come on................. guy isn't going to win and it doesn't take Biff's Almanac to confirm

this one was just sheer blindness at that point

Skuj 03.18.2018 11:30 AM

See....isn't this fun?

(I was "rather tired" on my previous post.)

tw2113 03.18.2018 12:08 PM

I'm not saying ignore it completely, just don't subscribe to the constant, steady stream. Read in digests in short bursts. You'll be a lot less depressed throughout the day.

Skuj 03.18.2018 12:38 PM

Yeah, I really don't do news for hours per day, but what I see is horrifying. But I have to take that ex-CIA guy's words as solace: "America will triumph over Trump".

tesla69 03.19.2018 09:05 PM

Quote:

But I have to take that ex-CIA guy's words as solace: "America will triumph over Trump".

You mean John Brennan, the the CIA Director who oversaw the CIA hacking of the Senate's computers and was reading senator's emails?

Who in 2008 couldn't be CIA Director because of his involvement with torture under Bush, but he was sanitized under Obama.

If you own a cell phone, you are participating and have no right to complain.

!@#$%! 03.19.2018 09:43 PM

oregon man who followed muslim couple for 20 blocks hurling insults cries when charged with a hate crime

https://www.theroot.com/ore-man-who-...ock-1796882773

“I confess, my favorite type of bigot is the crying bigot.” :D :D :D

Skuj 03.20.2018 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tesla69
You mean John Brennan, the the CIA Director who oversaw the CIA hacking of the Senate's computers and was reading senator's emails?

Who in 2008 couldn't be CIA Director because of his involvement with torture under Bush, but he was sanitized under Obama.

If you own a cell phone, you are participating and have no right to complain.

3 things:

1. I know you are a Trumpist. (I swear I'm not saying that condescendingly.)

2. I'm seriously going to look up the points that you have made, to see if they stand up to scrutiny. (Forgive me, but we are in the post-truth era.)

3. I've never owned a cell phone. (I know, right?)