Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

cryptowonderdruginvogue 02.25.2015 07:26 PM

I just finished After the Wedding. Loved it.

Probably re-watch this later tonight

Antagon 02.25.2015 07:46 PM

Insanely well acted, especially on part of Keaton, Norton and Stone. Cleverly scripted and shot beautifully. The theatre I went to was packed.

demonrail666 02.25.2015 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
the actors are great of course-- de niro, cazale, walken, streep-- supremo cast

Yeah but I think more than that, it might have my all-time favourite performances by DeNiro and Streep. Tough call but I'm prepared to say it about DeNiro anyway. Travis Bickle was more iconic but arguably an easier role to play.

tw2113 02.25.2015 09:32 PM

Super Mario Bros, and I'd have no issue at all if they tried to remake this one into something more decent than it ended up being.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 02.25.2015 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tw2113
Super Mario Bros, and I'd have no issue at all if they tried to remake this one into something more decent than it ended up being.

I have serious issues with believing you were able to sit through more than a few minutes.. if that!

dead_battery 02.25.2015 10:32 PM

itsa masterpiece-io

tw2113 02.25.2015 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
I have serious issues with believing you were able to sit through more than a few minutes.. if that!

All the way through, I'm either a trooper of a glutton for punishment.

!@#$%! 02.25.2015 10:55 PM

trust the fungus!

====

HEY ANTAGON! IF YOU SEE THIS: MUST-WATCH FOR YOU I THINK:

FOR NO GOOD REASON (2012) - johnny depp interviews artist/cartoonist ralph steadman about his life and work (esp. his relationship with hunter s. thompson). AMAZING VISUALS. worth checking out on bluray but if not just watch it anyway.

these days of superabundance of documentaries i try to watch one about an artist each week-- sometimes i don't get to it but this was really great. i hope you got to see the one about miyazaki & studio ghibli.

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
Yeah but I think more than that, it might have my all-time favourite performances by DeNiro and Streep. Tough call but I'm prepared to say it about DeNiro anyway. Travis Bickle was more iconic but arguably an easier role to play.

travis bickle was a two-note performance. they were intense difficult pitch notes but that was it. michael in deer hunter had waaaaay more range-- was a damn symphony.

dead_battery 02.25.2015 10:56 PM

more imagination in that mario movie than most goddamn bullshit ever.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 02.25.2015 11:03 PM

Quote:

trust the fungus!y.

You're speaking my language

!@#$%! 03.01.2015 11:30 PM

CALVARY (2014) This is the second irish movie i see with brendan gleeson and he's fucking amazing in it. the first was THE GUARD, which was brilliant. apart for that the screenplay was pretty great, not as great as his acting but still. 4/5. 4.5?

ps, in spite of what the poster says (if you can see it, i can't right now), this is not a "black comedy". it's not a comedy at all-- of course it has its funny fucking moments, it's a rural parish in ireland somewhat reminiscent of "father ted", and gleeson can be hilarious, but that doesn't make it a fucking "comedy" just like hamlet talking about "country matters" doesn't make hamlet a comedy. that's pure doltardery that ignores the main drive of the film.

AUTUMN SONATA (Bergman, 1978). a fucking excellent filmed play. by play i mean-- characters voice their thoughts, etc. but damn what a great playwright bergman was. featuring ingrid bergman and liv ullman-- what a pair. and the color so beautifully shot by sven nykvist. 5/5.

!@#$%! 03.03.2015 03:50 PM

werner herzog's CAVE OF FORGOTTEN DREAMS (2010)

a documentary about the chauvet cave. i wasn't aware this even existed! in traditional art history it's always altamira. but this... wow!

where does this guy get the energy and inspiration to make great films like that? even if the production is very low-budget by the constraints of the cave (only a small crew allowed in), it's an amazing movie. okay, i didn't need the heartbeat in that "silence" sequence but yes, fantastic film because of its subject and the treatment of it.

now i have on the bonus 40' feature about the reording of teh music. here's a guy who had a cello built with an extra lower string (a low F). wow.

watch it watch it!

Rob Instigator 03.03.2015 04:37 PM

Chauvet cave is awesome. I read this book when I first heard of the caves.

The movie is cool as hell too. Herzog is my man. He gets shot with pellet guns by a stranger during an interview and keeps on rocking. http://youtu.be/HrRNM9cMBDk?t=49s

Rob Instigator 03.03.2015 05:14 PM

The movie of "Les Misérables" prompts the musical question: "How can I feel anything for you if you won't shut up about how much you're feeling?"

Antagon 03.03.2015 05:41 PM

Quote:

trust the fungus!

====

HEY ANTAGON! IF YOU SEE THIS: MUST-WATCH FOR YOU I THINK:

FOR NO GOOD REASON (2012) - johnny depp interviews artist/cartoonist ralph steadman about his life and work (esp. his relationship with hunter s. thompson). AMAZING VISUALS. worth checking out on bluray but if not just watch it anyway.

these days of superabundance of documentaries i try to watch one about an artist each week-- sometimes i don't get to it but this was really great. i hope you got to see the one about miyazaki & studio ghibli.

Both on my watchlist now, thanks! Yeah, I'm gonna watch them one of these days. Gotta watch more documentaries anyway.

ilduclo 03.03.2015 06:51 PM

good artist bio here

Francis Bacon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhHLlpoN8tI

great interviews and shows a lot of relatively obscure paintings, but misses some of the more well known ones.....so, a good supplementary bio

ilduclo 03.03.2015 06:53 PM

and another, Cindy Sherman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXKNuWtXZ_U

Toilet & Bowels 03.04.2015 03:16 AM

Quote:

the actors are great of course-- de niro, cazale, walken, streep-- supremo cast

but for me it's the epic scope of it that does it. it's a "big" movie that maybe doesn't achieve 100% in the execution but the ambition of the projects is just great.

it begins with a prosperous and vigorous working class with immigrant origins (the american dream!) and it ends with broken fucked up people singing "god bless america" in the saddest of ways

great cinematography etc and other things but the way the stupid war destroys everything at home is just fucking brilliant.

When I have time I'll write something about it

gmku 03.04.2015 09:43 AM

Barcelona - very good, not as interesting as Metropolitan or Last Days of Disco

Boyhood - excellent

!@#$%! 03.04.2015 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmku
Barcelona - very good, not as interesting as Metropolitan or Last Days of Disco

watt? what you say is true of course, but this movie being what it is i thought you'd regale us with some stories of your times as a cold warrior deep in the middle of europa.