Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

gmku 05.26.2015 06:27 AM

The Grand Budapest Hotel, and I don't care what anyone says about it.

Toilet & Bowels 05.26.2015 09:09 AM

What do you say about it?

gmku 05.26.2015 11:01 AM

I say it is absolutely great. Loved every minute of it, still thinking about it.

!@#$%! 05.26.2015 11:54 AM

wes anderson is a very imaginative boy

!@#$%! 05.26.2015 11:57 AM

estás loco ueón

Peterpuff 05.26.2015 06:24 PM

Saw Ex Machina twice this week and loved it.

Ghostchase 05.27.2015 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmku
The Grand Budapest Hotel, and I don't care what anyone says about it.

Huh? People have negative things to say about it? One of the most enjoyable slices of warm and hilarity; a feel good narrative. The worlds Anderson creates have some much depth to them, that no one else can even being to compete.

Ghostchase 05.27.2015 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peterpuff
Saw Ex Machina twice this week and loved it.

Soundtrack by Geoff Barrow of Portishead! That's all I know, so I need to watch.

ilduclo 05.27.2015 08:25 AM

Yeah, the Norwegian scenery in Ex Mach was fantastic, the cgi for the girls is very well done & some really good acting.

Peterpuff 05.27.2015 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghostchase
Soundtrack by Geoff Barrow of Portishead! That's all I know, so I need to watch.

Yep. I actually did not realize that while watching, and stuck around during the credits to see who did the music. I thought it might have been another Reznor/Ross collab thing or something. Very much in that vein, and very, very important to setting the perfect tone for the movie.

Sticking around during credits did supply another nice surprise with a Savages tune being blasted.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilduclo
Yeah, the Norwegian scenery in Ex Mach was fantastic, the cgi for the girls is very well done & some really good acting.

Yes, the scenery was amazing. I also spent a good bit of time on this hotel's website, where it was shot. Some nice pics of the place. Pretty interesting architecture.

http://www.juvet.com/the-juvet-hotel/the-hotel

gmku 05.27.2015 07:07 PM

I concur.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghostchase
Huh? People have negative things to say about it? One of the most enjoyable slices of warm and hilarity; a feel good narrative. The worlds Anderson creates have some much depth to them, that no one else can even being to compete.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 05.27.2015 07:33 PM

As Above So Below..

It was one of those absolute train wrecks of a movie that you keep watching even though really, it sucks.

_slavo_ 05.29.2015 07:03 AM

Ex Machina was brilliant, so was the music score to it.

guest 05.31.2015 06:09 AM

my favourite part is when the tyke is about to jump into the hot spring and pierce brosnan saves him so linda hamilton cooks him an eggplant parmagiana and he performs magic tricks. then when he races the pyroclastic flow in the car which didn't melt when they drove over lava. or when the grandmother did melt after wading through the lake.

hadn't seen this film in a long time but was really struck by its condoning of cultural imperialism. was frankly disturbed by it. but willem dafoe is a god so idc lol

guest 05.31.2015 06:11 AM

oh fuck I watched the bodyguard too

and body double

and sliver

and body chemistry iii

my watching of which doesn't really make much sense cos there's no cocks but I loved it

!@#$%! 05.31.2015 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guest

hadn't seen this film in a long time but was really struck by its condoning of cultural imperialism. was frankly disturbed by it. but willem dafoe is a god so idc lol

the "brown people are evil" show. you're right. it's digusting. the writer was this fascistoid paranoiac who is now dead.

Antagon 05.31.2015 06:51 PM

Very rarely can a movie be carried by its grandeur and creative visuals alone, but Fury Road is one of these instances. It's essentially an exploitation flick with a big budget. Had a lot of fun watching it. Right from the beginning it's almost non-stop action. It's actually all the more incredible that it managed to establish some very likeable characters amidst all the batshit insane stuff going on. I have no huge gripes with this one. Brilliantly shot, tongue in cheek and creatively executed. A fun thrillride.

demonrail666 06.01.2015 06:58 AM

Switchblade Romance

As seems to be the case for lots of people who've see it: I loved the first 3/4s but thought the ending, the 'twist', was stupid. Up till then though, brilliant.

ilduclo 06.01.2015 08:55 AM

A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night, nice photography and atmospherics.

!@#$%! 06.01.2015 10:11 AM

MR TURNER.
Goddamn Mike Leigh, he's done an amazing job, I haven't seen *everything* he's done but I strongly suspect he's surpassed himself-- this is better than anything I've seen by him. Beautifully shot, with a painter's eye, best cinematography I've seen in any of his films. The story is quiet, it's not like some narrative of great suspense or something, and it evolves in episodic manner, but the characters are strong and compellign and it all works very well. The performances are quite brilliant. When it ended it was like "ahhhh! that was good"

gorgeous