Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Photography Thread (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=328)

A Thousand Threads 02.14.2011 09:35 AM

Beautiful picture, TP.

Genteel Death 02.14.2011 02:28 PM

terminal pharmacy 02.14.2011 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Thousand Threads
Beautiful picture, TP.

Love these two, very filmic.

krastian 02.14.2011 07:41 PM

the big quasar 02.16.2011 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Thousand Threads
Beautiful picture, TP.

Outstanding. Love it.

krastian 02.20.2011 03:26 PM

Genteel Death 02.24.2011 02:38 AM

gast30 02.24.2011 03:25 AM

^ that is sooo fucking gay
lol

Genteel Death 02.24.2011 03:34 AM

Well, yes it is.

krastian 02.24.2011 10:03 PM

heh

static-harmony 02.24.2011 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Genteel Death

I always like your photographs and drawings there is always something eerie and yet innocent to them.

Decayed Rhapsody 02.24.2011 11:33 PM

I'm teaching myself film photography. Just started developing my own black and white, and I'm about to attempt color C-41 processing... maybe with one of those Tetenal kits to start off. Anyone else on here develop their own color?

I primarily use a Minolta SR-T 202. I love SR-Ts! Built like tanks, the meters are very durable if you convert them to use a silver oxide battery, and the Rokkor MC/MD lenses are some of the best glass around. I also own: Bencini Koroll CMF, Holga 120N (medium formats), Kodak Retinette (Type 022), and one of those P-Sharan pinhole cameras made out of reinforced cardboard.

Haven't scanned too much yet.

Norma J 02.24.2011 11:47 PM

^^ Good stuff. You've a good eye for framing.

terminal pharmacy 02.25.2011 02:17 AM

nice stuff

good luck with the self c41 processing. the chemicals are fucking horrible. have you bought yourself a jobo tank for the c41 processing? i develop my own black and white which is a task to get right, particularly printing. colour i have done a few times but dont want to anymore, it is more expensive to develop colour yourself than getting it processed at prolabs.

what film did you use for these photos? ilford hp5 for the bandw and fuji reala for the colour? the colour has reala tones and the b&ws have that hp5 dullness (not a bad thing) just how i see the film compared to other black and white films.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Decayed Rhapsody
I'm teaching myself film photography. Just started developing my own black and white, and I'm about to attempt color C-41 processing... maybe with one of those Tetenal kits to start off. Anyone else on here develop their own color?

I primarily use a Minolta SR-T 202. I love SR-Ts! Built like tanks, the meters are very durable if you convert them to use a silver oxide battery, and the Rokkor MC/MD lenses are some of the best glass around. I also own: Bencini Koroll CMF, Holga 120N (medium formats), Kodak Retinette (Type 022), and one of those P-Sharan pinhole cameras made out of reinforced cardboard.

Haven't scanned too much yet.

Decayed Rhapsody 02.25.2011 11:54 AM

Thanks! I use pretty reputable (expensive) labs, so after some calculations, it'd actually be cheaper in the long run to develop my own C41 based on the amount of rolls I'm likely to shoot in a 6 month period. I also want to try out cross-processing and pushing/pulling, and that shit is just way too expensive. The whole process was demystified for me after seeing one of my friends do it in his sink. You just need to maintain proper high temperature in the beginning... and ideally use the bleach and fixer separately (those combined "blixes" they sell you usually don't work as well over time). I use an old Jobo from by B&W, do you think I should get another one solely for C41?

For the color pics above I used Porta 160NC (Neutral Color, as opposed to VC, or "Vibrant Color"). A lot of people joke that NC should stand for "No Color," but I think that it renders the environment quite nicely. People are too used to oversaturated color films and can't tell the difference anymore. The B&W is Tri-X. Scanning issues probably make it appear like HP5. I still need to find a decent mid-price negative scanner. I generally don't like HP5 (unless it's in 120 format). Tri-X gives a nice balance of character and grain. I also like Ilford's Delta films.

terminal pharmacy 02.25.2011 03:22 PM

I'd probably keep a tank for b&w and one for colour, yes. I'll have to try some porta. Not sure I like the look of the Tri-X. Have you tried PanF+?

Quote:

Thanks! I use pretty reputable (expensive) labs, so after some calculations, it'd actually be cheaper in the long run to develop my own C41 based on the amount of rolls I'm likely to shoot in a 6 month period. I also want to try out cross-processing and pushing/pulling, and that shit is just way too expensive. The whole process was demystified for me after seeing one of my friends do it in his sink. You just need to maintain proper high temperature in the beginning... and ideally use the bleach and fixer separately (those combined "blixes" they sell you usually don't work as well over time). I use an old Jobo from by B&W, do you think I should get another one solely for C41?

For the color pics above I used Porta 160NC (Neutral Color, as opposed to VC, or "Vibrant Color"). A lot of people joke that NC should stand for "No Color," but I think that it renders the environment quite nicely. People are too used to oversaturated color films and can't tell the difference anymore. The B&W is Tri-X. Scanning issues probably make it appear like HP5. I still need to find a decent mid-price negative scanner. I generally don't like HP5 (unless it's in 120 format). Tri-X gives a nice balance of character and grain. I also like Ilford's Delta films.

Decayed Rhapsody 02.25.2011 04:44 PM

Nope. It's on my list, though. I'll probably shoot a test roll soon. That's 50 ISO right? I've never shot below 100.

terminal pharmacy 02.25.2011 05:11 PM

Quote:

Nope. It's on my list, though. I'll probably shoot a test roll soon. That's 50 ISO right? I've never shot below 100.

Yeah PanF is 50iso, also if you can find any try some adox cms20 which is iso20. I love it it has great white to black depth and virtually grainless.

This is adox cms20 edit: sorry I lie, these are actually Rollei Retro 100, I did however have a red filter on to increase my contrast.

Fomapan 100 and 400 is also nice b&w film.

Decayed Rhapsody 02.25.2011 07:30 PM

Do you use Hoya filters? Now that I think about it, those b&w's I posted were just shot with a regular UV filter instead of a yellow filter, which may explain the lack of any serious contrast.

terminal pharmacy 02.25.2011 10:08 PM

I use cokin P series filters so I don't have to keep buying filters everytime I get a new lens, I just have to buy a $15 dollar adapter ring. I don't do any post processing digitally. I want to get good with the camera first.

Quote:

Do you use Hoya filters? Now that I think about it, those b&w's I posted were just shot with a regular UV filter instead of a yellow filter, which may explain the lack of any serious contrast.

Bertrand 02.26.2011 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicfit

I love this one!

nicfit 02.26.2011 06:32 AM

ha ha thanks! that was supposed to be in the "fuck with my face" thread but still I do love the colors etc (even unedited).

krastian 02.27.2011 02:18 PM

krastian 02.27.2011 02:46 PM

A Thousand Threads 03.03.2011 06:37 PM

Those are nice, Decayed Rapsoda. I really like the 3rd one.
Setting up a darkroom is one of those projects I'm planning since years.
Never got further than finding a cheap enlarger at a flea market.

Today i got the developed pictures of the last roll I shot with my beloved Retinette before it got stolen. But unfortunately they all turned out shit.

Lately, I try not to be so goddamn dogmatic about everything. For example, if I feel funny, I'll add Parmesan and parsley to the dough for my gnocchi. Also it means I love digital photography.

from today:

Antagon 03.04.2011 05:01 PM

Awesome pics ATT! Is that the Votivkirche in the last one?

krastian 03.05.2011 02:33 PM

terminal pharmacy 03.05.2011 07:15 PM

Hardcore stage at soundwave yesterday. Security got hammered for the whole day from 11am when the first band hit the stage - 10pm when the last band finished.

A Thousand Threads 03.05.2011 07:30 PM

Dudes in hardcore bands or crust bands always have such nice trousers.

For Karl H. Stockhausen:

krastian 03.06.2011 04:23 PM

terminal pharmacy 03.06.2011 05:40 PM

terminal pharmacy 03.10.2011 06:01 PM

My monitor land on my latest gig; Tim Minchin and the Adelaide Symphony Orchestra.

nicfit 03.10.2011 06:13 PM

Hey, I've seen him perform on Conan O'Brien, just him+piano, lots of laughs!
Had no idea he had such "power" over there (forgive the lame lexicon, it's been a loooooooong day).

terminal pharmacy 03.10.2011 06:22 PM

He isn't as popular here in his home country as he is the uk. He sold out two nights at the o2 arena in london, which is massive. He's a wonderful guy too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicfit
Hey, I've seen him perform on Conan O'Brien, just him+piano, lots of laughs!
Had no idea he had such "power" over there (forgive the lame lexicon, it's been a loooooooong day).

Decayed Rhapsody 03.11.2011 02:19 AM

Testing out my old Bencini Koroll CMF. It's an old point-and-shoot from 1952. Medium format.

terminal pharmacy 03.13.2011 01:45 AM

Nice

Quote:

Testing out my old Bencini Koroll CMF. It's an old point-and-shoot from 1952. Medium format.

themawt71 03.13.2011 01:21 PM

krastian 03.13.2011 04:47 PM

terminal pharmacy 03.19.2011 09:00 PM

Genteel Death 03.20.2011 08:28 AM