Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 08.02.2015 09:23 PM

Birdman

And i digged it

ilduclo 08.03.2015 06:58 AM

7 Boxes, it was pretty good. A few too many odd handheld camera angles, once in a while, but a really well assembled story. A lot of movie makers could learn from the sense of timing in it. Pretty funny, too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfNos-RT0Kc

Rob Instigator 08.03.2015 09:20 AM

Newest Mission Impossible on Saturday. I enjoyed it very much. Several times throughout the movie you could hear a pin drop in the packed theater.

gmku 08.03.2015 10:33 AM

Cool.

Despise Tom Cruise though I do, I nevertheless love the impossible mission movies. The trailer for Rogue looks great.

Seems to be the year for spy movies. New Bond movie this fall, and that Man from UNCLE thing out soon, too, I think.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
Newest Mission Impossible on Saturday. I enjoyed it very much. Several times throughout the movie you could hear a pin drop in the packed theater.

h8kurdt 08.03.2015 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmku
Cool.

Despise Tom Cruise though I do, I nevertheless love the impossible mission movies. The trailer for Rogue looks great.

Seems to be the year for spy movies. New Bond movie this fall, and that Man from UNCLE thing out soon, too, I think.

You've gotta love some of his films surely?

gmku 08.03.2015 02:07 PM

Oh, I do! I think he's done a great job in a number of movies, including the MI movies. But I always have to make a little effort to leave at the door my dislike for him as a person.

Quote:

Originally Posted by h8kurdt
You've gotta love some of his films surely?

demonrail666 08.03.2015 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Schunk

I loved the film but never took it's 'true story' claims seriously, and I feel sorry for the current owners if their lives are being ruined by trespassing goths. Although they were happy to financially exploit the alleged haunting for crappy TV shows like Ghost Hunters. That doesn't vindicate the vandals but the owners seemed happy to play up the 'truth' when it benefitted them.

Ghostchase 08.03.2015 05:16 PM

I enjoyed both of these a lot, very impressive pacing and standout acting. I will buy these and watch them repeatedly.

I loved this film a lot, I don't think I've seen a Sofia film I didn't like. Daniel Lopatin, Oneohtrix Point Never hand in helping with the film's soundtrack was a instant selling point for me, and... Emma Watson.

gmku 08.04.2015 10:52 AM

This could be entertaining. "Dress to impress." Indeed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=142&v=ZU3Xban0Y6A

!@#$%! 08.04.2015 01:36 PM

FIVE EASY PIECES (criterion blu-ray)

fucking great! and who the fuck is bob rafelson? he's never registered in my radar. this movie is great. jack nicholson was simply fantastic in it.

had to watch it on 2 installments-- half in the weekend and half this morning. i missed a bit of connection with that and now i'm rewatching some bits.

i could probably start rewatching it right away.

demonrail666 08.05.2015 04:39 AM

Call me stupid but I'm struggling to make a connection.

gmku 08.05.2015 06:17 AM

The New Yorker panned the new MI movie.

Rob Instigator 08.05.2015 08:10 AM

The New Yorker only likes films that they can pretend to understand better than us plebians.

gmku 08.05.2015 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
The New Yorker only likes films that they can pretend to understand better than us plebians.

Really? I find TNYer a fairly reliable match to my own experience with a movie. I sometimes differ, but I find their reviews are mainly on target.

Severian 08.05.2015 03:50 PM

I finally, after waiting and mother fucking waiting, watched Interstallar last night.

I'm probably not the most objective viewer, as I love few things as much as I love space opera sci-fi and Christopher Nolan films, but I honestly couldn't take my eyes away from the screen. I don't understand why this film didn't win an academy award for best picture.

Nolan may be coming to the end of his reach with these big budget maximalist masterpieces and cerebral epics, but he's not there yet. I wonder how it's possible for one pair of brothers to write such effortless masterpieces about everything from comic book detectives to interstellar travel.

Was it better than Inception? Hmm. Different... Probably appealed to fewer people, as it was a more drawn out and patient film, but I think the pay off was equal at least. The acting was better, the writing was cleaner. I can't help but wonder what frontiers are left for the Nolan Brothers to conquer.

i fucking loved it.

demonrail666 08.06.2015 05:26 PM

Insidious

When I was watching this I wasn't that into it but now it's finished I at least appreciate they were trying to do something a bit different. Not sure I can be bothered to watch the sequels, though.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 08.06.2015 08:27 PM

I don't care what anyone says Inception was a masterpiece and now that Sev has compared Interstellar to it i am finally interested..

Sometimes people just don't frame movies well enough.. like with Birdman, if people would have told me it was an existentialist flick about the decline of Broadway theatre i would have been more interested but all the previews sincerely made it look like another one of these garbage superhero flicks..

nicfit 08.07.2015 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Sometimes people just don't frame movies well enough.. like with Birdman, if people would have told me it was an existentialist flick about the decline of Broadway theatre i would have been more interested but all the previews sincerely made it look like another one of these garbage superhero flicks..

Are you saying that the official US trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jAfBd3g6bA

made you think it was a "garbage superhero flick"?
With Inarritu as director?
For real?

And if now you think it's about the "decline of Broadway theatre" you're still way off, by the way.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 08.07.2015 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicfit
Are you saying that the official US trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jAfBd3g6bA

made you think it was a "garbage superhero flick"?
With Inarritu as director?
For real?

And if now you think it's about the "decline of Broadway theatre" you're still way off, by the way.

All the previews i saw focused on the birdman scenes.. perhaps i exaggerated the "decline" part either way i thoroughly enjoyed it

Antagon 08.08.2015 06:52 PM

Great film, but holy shit was it depressing.