Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

nicfit 08.09.2015 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
All the previews i saw focused on the birdman scenes.. perhaps i exaggerated the "decline" part either way i thoroughly enjoyed it

Now I get what you were saying (I thought you haven't watched it yet).. trailers and previews lately mosto of the times either give away too much or are tailored to show just "one way" sides of the story to appeal to a specific target.. I get how it could have been (stupidly) marketed as a superhero flick..that's one of the reasons I avoid trailers and reviews and "online comments" as much as I can for movies I could be interested in, sometimes it pays off, as I get to enjoy a nice movie without bias and without knowing what to expect exactly, other times I end up watching some crappy stuff, uh.
For a movie as complex (within its limitations) as Birdman it's pobably hard to come up with a decent trailer in any case, ah ah.

!@#$%! 08.09.2015 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antagon
Great film, but holy shit was it depressing.

YES.

greenlight 08.09.2015 11:29 AM

just on a side note. I have noticed plenty music (not musical) movies coming up this year, which is weird but also so cool (and I know some of them are going to be "hollywoody pumped up stories" with slightly changed history facts). and I think I have missed some as well, can't remember which ones now. if you can help me.

Straight Outta Compton
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrlLcb7zYmw

Rogers Waters The Wall
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuPyeCX7Fgg

Love and Mercy. Brian's Wilson Biopic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lioWzrpCtGQ

Janis Joplin Biopic in preparation
http://ultimateclassicrock.com/janis...film-director/

this is documentary, but still worth to mention I think (supposed to be a good one)
Kurt Cobain : Montage Of Heck
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJ5gh0saodk

then also new Amy's Winehouse doc. which is out some time now...

h8kurdt 08.09.2015 12:19 PM

I'm not a fan of The Wall album at all, but that film looks brilliant.

LifeDistortion 08.09.2015 01:24 PM

Last week I saw "An Honest Liar" the documentary on James Randi who was a big inspiration for Penn and Teller, not only as magicians but as outspoken debunkers of those who exploit people's beliefs in religion, ghosts, etc. I loved this film, and had no issue with the part that delved into Randi's personal life.

greenlight 08.09.2015 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
I finally, after waiting and mother fucking waiting, watched Interstallar last night.

I'm probably not the most objective viewer, as I love few things as much as I love space opera sci-fi and Christopher Nolan films, but I honestly couldn't take my eyes away from the screen. I don't understand why this film didn't win an academy award for best picture.

Nolan may be coming to the end of his reach with these big budget maximalist masterpieces and cerebral epics, but he's not there yet. I wonder how it's possible for one pair of brothers to write such effortless masterpieces about everything from comic book detectives to interstellar travel.

Was it better than Inception? Hmm. Different... Probably appealed to fewer people, as it was a more drawn out and patient film, but I think the pay off was equal at least. The acting was better, the writing was cleaner. I can't help but wonder what frontiers are left for the Nolan Brothers to conquer.

i fucking loved it.

such a great movie. i do regret i haven't go to see it on the big screen.

Antagon 08.09.2015 05:02 PM

I love the way it was shot. There's some extremely beautiful cinematography in it. A bizarre little gem that explores loneliness as experienced by its three protagonists. Highly recommended for patient viewers. It really does pay off.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 08.09.2015 05:08 PM

There Will Be Blood...

And this is quite literally one of my all time fav flicks from the 2000s

Antagon 08.09.2015 08:31 PM

A Face In The Crowd (1957):

Truly biting satire. And remarkably relevant even today.

schizophrenicroom 08.10.2015 12:12 AM

double indemnity

Toilet & Bowels 08.10.2015 03:16 AM

Diary of a Teenage Girl. 9/10.

Rob Instigator 08.10.2015 08:46 AM

watched this yesterday while trying to relax during a 107 degree day. Like hoe Kathy Bates speaks in like 5 different "voices."

ilduclo 08.10.2015 10:01 AM

saw Mr Holmes this weekend. The kid in that is an amazing actor, as, of course is Ian Mc, good story, too

!@#$%! 08.10.2015 04:26 PM

detlef sierck's (douglas sirk's) "la habanera" -- his last german film.

a lot of over-the-top acting and melodrama with much propaganda for the nordic "soul" and against the hell of the tropics. or so it seems to be. a hilarious mishmash of "latin" stereotypes that of course includes excertps from bizet's "carmen." of course! tyrants, toreros, tropical maladies, latin lovers, women in black veils-- really, the works.

i can't say i didn't enjoy it though-- i did, and not just for the involuntary comedy and the talk-back-treatment we inflicted upon it, but there are moments of good filmmaking and cinematography, plus some genuine humor, all perceivable in spite of the bad dvd transfer from "poor man's criterion" kino video. and if you're willing to overlook some ridiculousness, it's as half-watchable as any hollywood film of the same era-- and probably more than most.

Antagon 08.10.2015 07:08 PM

Last Year at Marienbad:
Imdb lists it as a Drama. I'd say due to its unconventional narrative style and haunting atmosphere it's rather a Mystery film. Either way: I'm in love with the way it was filmed. Then again I'm a sucker for creative cinematography and impressive architecture.

gmku 08.10.2015 07:16 PM

Haven't watched many movies of late but I have some to look forward to this weekend: Landlocked Film Fesitval

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 08.10.2015 09:39 PM

I don't know what to think of this... it was the most well produced yet absurdly ridiculous flick I've seen in a long time.. i don't quite feel like i regret watching it but i can't with clear conscience say it was worth seeing

!@#$%! 08.10.2015 09:45 PM

Quote:

Last Year at Marienbad:
Imdb lists it as a Drama. I'd say due to its unconventional narrative style and haunting atmosphere it's rather a Mystery film. Either way: I'm in love with the way it was filmed. Then again I'm a sucker for creative cinematography and impressive architecture.

it's totally a mystery in that one doesn't know what the fuck is going on and one never will. which is sort of the point. definitely not a "drama"-- there is no formal conflict + climax + resolution which are usually required by the genre.

it is indeed aesthetically a beautiful film but i see no point in watching it for the 8 or so hours that it feels like it lasts. great for clipping/music video though.

hey, there's a movie for your next dj gig. why didn't we think of this before.

Toilet & Bowels 08.11.2015 03:34 AM

Quote:

Last Year at Marienbad:

Awesome film, have you seen Meshes of the Afternoon?

Antagon 08.13.2015 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
it's totally a mystery in that one doesn't know what the fuck is going on and one never will. which is sort of the point. definitely not a "drama"-- there is no formal conflict + climax + resolution which are usually required by the genre.

it is indeed aesthetically a beautiful film but i see no point in watching it for the 8 or so hours that it feels like it lasts. great for clipping/music video though.

hey, there's a movie for your next dj gig. why didn't we think of this before.

It sort of worked for me, but I can see why it could be regarded as tedious. I loved the visual narrative style and some of the issues it explored/didn't explore. But it certainly is a very polarizing film and I totally get your opinion.To be honest, this was the first time I actually got around to watch it. I've heard about it before, but only now did I decide to give it a shot. And agreed, it would make for some nice visuals during a future gig.