Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Will you laugh at me when I say I really love Dead Can Dance? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=19664)

_slavo_ 02.12.2008 05:56 PM

Will you laugh at me when I say I really love Dead Can Dance?

Come on, they used to be just amazing.

SYRFox 02.12.2008 05:57 PM

I don't know them much but from what I heard they're good

Everyneurotic 02.12.2008 05:59 PM

i've always meant to give them a serious listen.

i know plenty of people who love them.

gmku 02.12.2008 06:19 PM

I don't know much about them.

✌➬ 02.12.2008 06:22 PM

I heard one girl in my photo class talk about them, never had the chance to give them a listen.

RdTv 02.12.2008 06:25 PM

Like most of you, I've heard the name tossed around and it never really ocurred to me that I should listen to them, maybe it was the people who dropped the name....

Everyneurotic 02.12.2008 06:28 PM

they are an atmospheric goth band with gregorian chants and stuff like that.

some of it crosses to enya territory but i hear some of their stuff is actually really good. as i said, i haven't heard them really, apart from a song or two.

alteredcourse 02.12.2008 06:29 PM

for some reason i love to play them on my days off while im at home in a productive sort of mood , like cleaning or painting or writing (non-studying ) . they have good vibes .

but when i am apart of the daily grind , commuting to work etc , i find them to be very boring and overly dramatic .

*shrug

RdTv 02.12.2008 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Everyneurotic

some of it crosses to enya territory but i hear some of their stuff is actually really good. as i said, i haven't heard them really, apart from a song or two.

Its funny you say that they are kinda sorta goth band, because ''goth-esque'' is the best way to describe the people who mentioned their love for them.

super_charger 02.12.2008 07:55 PM

Their studio efforts are OK, but the live album "Toward the Within" blows me away. Definately more of a world music than goth vibe on that album.

Cantankerous 02.12.2008 07:55 PM

no i wont laugh
theyre ok although not really what i tend to gravitate towards musically

the ikara cult 02.12.2008 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Everyneurotic

Is that Cure-y?

uhler 02.12.2008 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the ikara cult
Is that Cure-y?

no.

i like a few of their songs. i have one album of theirs on my old computer. it's nice music to listen to when you just want to sit in a chair or lay in bed and relax your mind a bit.

Everyneurotic 02.12.2008 11:38 PM

nah, they have like polyrhythms and percussion too. it's kinda like adult contemporary goth, if i remember correctly.

_slavo_ 02.13.2008 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by super_charger
Their studio efforts are OK, but the live album "Toward the Within" blows me away. Definately more of a world music than goth vibe on that album.

Ha, that's actually the only one I don't really like. You're right with the world music touch on that one - that's also the reason I'm not so keen on it.

However, "Within the realm of a dying sun", "The Serpent's egg", "Into the Labyrinth" and "A passage in Time" are albums well worth listening. Some beauty there for sure.

Green Magnesium 02.13.2008 02:45 AM

Pretty stuff. He has such a sexy voice. They're about as pretentious as you can get and loathed by many, but their live stuff can be tremendous.

gualbert 02.13.2008 04:22 AM

The first album is amazing , more cold wave than new-age-goth-medieval-whatever , with almost only guitar/bass/drums. A must in the genre.

Tokolosh 02.13.2008 04:26 AM

The Serpent's Egg and Aion is a good albums.

sonicl 02.13.2008 04:27 AM

I used to love DCD when they were a typical 4AD band, but I lost interest as they moved more towards the atmospheric world music stuff. The first two or three albums are stunning though.

sarramkrop 02.13.2008 04:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tokolosh
The Serpent's Egg and Aion is a good albums.

Yep. I saw them live a couple of years ago. They weren't that good but not too shabby either.

_slavo_ 02.13.2008 04:42 AM

Carnival is over is indeed a beautiful song. And Brendan Perry's voice slays. One of the most amazing male voices I've ever heard.

_slavo_ 01.07.2019 06:20 AM

Has anyone heard the latest album?
It's quite shit.

choc e-Claire 01.07.2019 02:37 PM

Amazing what eleven years can do XD

!@#$%! 01.07.2019 03:20 PM

i won't laugh. but i just tried listening to their first album (?) and it bored me a little. sorry :(

Antagon 01.07.2019 04:45 PM

Dead Can Dance are sort of an amalgamation of Neoclassical Darkwave, Ethereal Wave and a lot of international folkoric influences. Due to their incorporation of mysticism and some dark themes (as well as their association with 4AD - which was home to many of the more dreamily-inclined goth darlings at the time), they are quite popular among goths, but I'd hardly call them a goth band based on their stylistic approach. In fact, I'd say they're quite content doing their own thing. Trying to find things to incorporate into my playlists, I gave their renowned album "In The Realm Of A Dying Sun" a listen some time ago. Halfway dug it. Some of the more wavy tracks really stuck in my head. The latter half of the album is not quite my cuppa I'm afraid. The same applies to most of the stuff I've heard of them. Some things I really dig, others not so much. Haven't heard their new one yet, but I'm not itching to either.

Antagon 01.07.2019 04:49 PM

In The Realm Of A Dying Sun has a pretty strong opening though. The first three tracks really do hit my sweet spot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdjqIBZoIEY

_slavo_ 01.08.2019 03:33 AM

They're old now and get nothing more to say anymore.
However, their concert that I've seen in 2012 was brilliant.

Bytor Peltor 10.07.2019 08:02 AM

Dead Can Dance Announces ‘A Celebration — Life & Works 1980-2020’ Tour Of North America

Nothing close to Texas......well, two Mexico shows.