Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Bad Genre Names (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=7068)

golden child 10.17.2006 06:29 PM

crust? a bad name?
FUCK NO, you've crossed the line.

Alex's Trip 10.17.2006 06:29 PM

Math Rock?

(has that been mentioned?)

finding nobody 10.17.2006 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex's Trip
Math Rock?

(has that been mentioned?)

Ahh, I've heard this before. some say drive like jehu is a math rock group

Xbox live is down?!
Xbox.com and the Xbox Live® service are currently down for maintenance.
We’ll be back soon with amazing new My Xbox® features!
Fuck that.

Пятхъдесят Шест 10.17.2006 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Cowpunk refers to bands like Uncle Tupelo, aka The Trend That Minneapolis Will Never Allow To Just Fucking Die Already.

My grade school principal was in a cowpunk band. Can you get more midwest?

The Monroes

What exactly is Omaha's identity? Davis points to the fact that the city was built on agriculture, with businesses like ConAgra, the stock yards and Union Pacific Railroad. "Why don't we embrace that? To me that's what Omaha is.

"There's a definite hick backlash -- to not be perceived as being hicks -- and yet how many pick-ups are in this town? I think Omaha should be less concerned about what other people think of the city's image and more concerned about what the city should do for the people who live here."

So says my old principal.

One of our only record labels.

Alex's Trip 10.17.2006 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finding nobody
Ahh, I've heard this before. some say drive like jehu is a math rock group

Xbox live is down?!
Xbox.com and the Xbox Live® service are currently down for maintenance.
We’ll be back soon with amazing new My Xbox® features!
Fuck that.

That sucks. Just as well, though. I got homework to do. I don't need any more distractions (such as this message board).

Pookie 10.17.2006 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kegmama
I loathe Cock Rock, but think its a very fitting name for the genre and tend to use it a lot to describe glamy things that suck.I can't believe no one has mentioned yet.

More a term of insult than a genre, I thought. A very handy expression though.

Norma J 10.17.2006 06:46 PM

'Good genre names' should have been the topic of the thread. That's a far harder question.

youthoftomorrow 10.17.2006 07:28 PM

saladcore.

oh wait, that's not bad, that's badass.

CHOUT 10.18.2006 01:46 AM

Screamo is the least appealing genre name to me.

Jaerlost 10.18.2006 02:31 AM

Post-core

CHOUT 10.18.2006 02:41 AM

"cock rock is the subset of glam metal that deals with lyrics that often describe sexual encounters, and make frequent use of double entendres"

I love clinical descriptions of debaucherous things!

Pookie 10.18.2006 04:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kegmama
You always say to refer to Wikipedia, right? Well according to them, it's a genre. So there.

Not me! I never use Wikipedia.

I wasn't being argumentative (never with you). The first I heard the expression was when Jello Biafra used to use it to describe macho rock about 20 years ago, and it was a catch-all phrase to sum up brainless rock music.

Dan 10.18.2006 05:07 AM

IDM is a pretty silly time.

jimbrim 10.18.2006 07:05 AM

I actually find Noise an anoying genre name, a lot of these artists sound completly different. But maybe its the fact that its impossible to narrow it down and label them differently. But artists like Burning Star Core and Wolf Eyes shouldnt both be labeled Noise surely.
As for the best genre name, that defiently has to be sludgecore!

Glice 10.18.2006 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hypertonic
can you explain further?

trance n' bass
"hard dance"
gloomcore
electro-step
hyphy

Explain? Happy Hardcore - not the same as Gabba/ Gabber, which tends to be instrumental - was put out mainly on tapes and distrubuted often word-of-mouth, out of the back of people's cars, or at the raves themselves. You wouldn't see much of it in bigger record stores because they stopped stocking tapes at some point in the mid-90s, and certainly wouldn't stock 'underground' rave tapes. Or at least they didn't round here. Anyway, the point was that very little of it was on vinyl or CD - the vinyl was all for the DJs and usually in small quantities, so the genre (over here at least) thrived on tape-trading and the actual raves.

Bhangra, meanwhile, was until recently only available on tapes because it was cheaper to distribute/ create tapes than CDs. A lot of them would sell enormous amounts but fail to make the charts because they didn't have barcodes. Also, it wasn't terribly well-known unless you had a few mates with big cars and Indian families.

It's all changed now though. Eeh, I feel like'm gettan' ol', ahp.

Onani Nic 10.18.2006 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan
IDM is a pretty silly time.

agreed

fishmonkey 10.18.2006 08:52 AM

i always wondered if "grunge" just took a shower would it just be ... unge?

Hip Priest 10.18.2006 08:57 AM

Isn't there a variation on 'doom' that's called 'funeral doom'? I think that's hilarious. They really really want you to know that they're full of all the usual doom, but then unlike other doom bands they've got that little bit of extra doom too. Funeral Doom. Brilliant.

sonicl 10.18.2006 08:59 AM

How about the good old "shambling" scene? Why couldn't they just be done with it and call it "crap"?

(and this from someone who used to be quite fond of all that stuff!)

raging_nelly 10.18.2006 09:02 AM

Splash-core